The Fate Of The Internet Is The Story, Not Edward Snowden

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
John Naughton, The Guardian Jul. 27, 2013, 9:30 PM
Repeat after me: Edward Snowden is not the story. The story is what he has revealed about the hidden wiring of our networked world. This insight seems to have escaped most of the world's mainstream media, for reasons that escape me but would not have surprised Evelyn Waugh, whose contempt for journalists was one of his few endearing characteristics. The obvious explanations are: incorrigible ignorance; the imperative to personalise stories; or gullibility in swallowing US government spin, which brands Snowden as a spy rather than a whistleblower.

Read more: Edward Snowden's not the story. The fate of the internet is | Technology | The Observer

I have preached for some time that governments want nothing more than to restrict the freedom of the internet – supported by the “traditional” press services. We will lose this freedom is we put our heads in the sand and ignore the efforts of Obama and the UN.

We Will All Be Felons Under New Proposed Internet Laws

To follow up on the above:

Did you know it is a misdemeanor to use your work computer to email your friends? If you check the score of the ballgame from work, it is also a misdemeanor. If you make reservations for dinner from your work computer you have also committed a crime. If you check your Facebook account on your lunch break from your work computer, you could be fined and could go to jail. The law which criminalizes such behaviors is called the 1986 Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and if the Department of Justice (DOJ) gets its way, they want to make misusing your computer in any way a felony under the “exceeds authorized use” of any computer including you own personal computer. For all of the above offenses, you could be prosecuted and most likely play a fine. However, if the DOJ gets its way, you will go to jail because they will prosecute you as a felon if they convince Congress to strengthen this 1986 law!

Read full piece @ We Will All Be Felons Under New Proposed Internet Laws | DICK.GAINES.AMERICAN! @ Gunny G's... Since 1997

Forum List

Back