Debunking Liberal Myths About the Rich and the Capital Gains Tax

The claim was that all those 401s that people have are taxed at the capital gains rate

That is false
no, you missed the point, the money invested in the 401k has gains and is removed, they will pay taxes on the money they remove that was a gain through the tax braket. For fk sake.

no, you missed the point, the money invested in the 401k has gains and is removed, they will pay taxes on the money they remove that was a gain through the tax braket. For fk sake.
In my case, money taken out of my 401Ks, minimum annual disbursement(distribution), is just another source of income in the appropriate line on my 1040 Income Tax return/filing. Becomes part of the formula for determining taxable amount of income, which then sets "tax bracket".

"Growth" in my 401Ks has varied over the years, IIRC there were a couple where it declined/reversed = no gain, rather loss instead.

Those who live off of the taxpayers usually have no grasp on risk and loss* potential in the part of the economy where wealth is produced versus the 'public' sector that lives off of stealing from, errrr "taxing" the producers.

* so-called capital GAIN is not a guarantee. Capital loss is also a possibility.

In my case, money taken out of my 401Ks, minimum annual disbursement(distribution), is just another source of income in the appropriate line on my 1040 Income Tax return/filing. Becomes part of the formula for determining taxable amount of income, which then sets "tax bracket".

"Growth" in my 401Ks has varied over the years, IIRC there were a couple where it declined/reversed = no gain, rather loss instead.

Those who live off of the taxpayers usually have no grasp on risk and loss* potential in the part of the economy where wealth is produced versus the 'public' sector that lives off of stealing from, errrr "taxing" the producers.

* so-called capital GAIN is not a guarantee. Capital loss is also a possibility.
None of which has any relevance to this thread

I buy a house, stock, whatever, with after tax money that is left after multiple taxes - Fed, State, local. I sell it later for more to someone who is paying for it with after tax money that has already been taxed multiple ways. For some reason, some people think it's perfectly ok to tax the difference yet again. Just cause.

Hard to imagine that a big reason for the Revolution was the tea tax. 3 pennies per pound.

I buy a house, stock, whatever, with after tax money that is left after multiple taxes - Fed, State, local. I sell it later for more to someone who is paying for it with after tax money that has already been taxed multiple ways. For some reason, some people think it's perfectly ok to tax the difference yet again. Just cause.

Hard to imagine that a big reason for the Revolution was the tea tax. 3 pennies per pound.
You might want to look that up. The tea thrown in the harbor was not taxed. Which made it cheaper than the tea the “patriots” were selling

And long term capital gains are taxed at what rate?

Which are we talking about here dipshit? Long term or short term?
a lower rate....why would we want to tax long term investments at the same rate? we want to encourage people to save.

why are you taxing people's retirement savings at that rate? do you not want people to save to retire? why are you taxing people that sell their home they have had for decades at that rate? don't you want to encourage people to buy homes?

once again, we are talking about money they put into these things that already were taxed.

The real question is why tax it at all?

I certainly undestand short term gains, that's more of a money making, income making thing, not an investment.

a lower rate....why would we want to tax long term investments at the same rate? we want to encourage people to save.

why are you taxing people's retirement savings at that rate? do you not want people to save to retire? why are you taxing people that sell their home they have had for decades at that rate? don't you want to encourage people to buy homes?

once again, we are talking about money they put into these things that already were taxed.

The real question is why tax it at all?

I certainly undestand short term gains, that's more of a money making, income making thing, not an investment.
People?

The wealthy

And they use those LTCGs as income that gets taxed at a far lower rate then the rest of us

Why you would support that baffles me because you surely are not wealthy

People?

The wealthy

And they use those LTCGs as income that gets taxed at a far lower rate then the rest of us

Why you would support that baffles me because you surely are not wealthy
the wealthy? how are you defining that? people that own homes? have retirement accounts? Really? geez man, get out of your parent's basement.

Yeah, retired people might use LTCGs as income.....it takes having an investment over a year before you get that rate.

Forum List

Back