Would Trump's proposed tariffs instead of income tax ever become LAW? (Poll)

Would the House and Senate agree to replace the Income Tax with Tariffs?

• Yes, especially if the GOP wins both houses

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • No, the downside risks are too big

Votes: 23 95.8%

• Total voters
Always the "showman", always dominating the news cycle, Trump once again comes up with a new and controversial idea, to replace the income tax with higher tariffs.

I don't see how the math works:
Income taxes bring in $2,200b a year currently, more if the Trump tax cuts are let expire.
Tariffs currently bring in $88b a year, but not everything imported pays a tariff

Looking at the total of US imports, lets say $4,000b a year.
  • U.S. imports for 2022 was $3,966.17B, a 16.37% increase from 2021.
  • U.S. imports for 2021 was $3,408.28B, a 22.75% increase from 2020.
  • U.S. imports for 2020 was $2,776.50B, a 10.92% decline from 2019.
  • U.S. imports for 2019 was $3,116.95B, a 0.45% decline from 2018.
So to raise ~$3T a year in revenue a 75% to 100% tariff would need to be imposed on all items. Would that make them too expensive to purchase??
Plus would that level of tariff start "trade wars" with everyone, hurting exports?

Trump's idea to replace income taxes with tariffs is a "sure way" to hurt the poor and help the rich​

Indeed, tariffs are understood to hike consumer prices because companies pass on the cost of the tariffs they pay. Tariffs currently account for $88.3 billion of the $4.4 trillion in revenues the U.S. government reported in fiscal year 2023. Income taxes brought in about $2.2 trillion, the Treasury Department reported. To bring tariff revenues even close to income tax levels would require a dramatic spike in import taxes, much higher than Trump’s proposed 10%.

So I tend to agree with the link that replacing the Income Tax with Tariffs is a bad idea. It seems to be a billionaire's attempt to lower his income tax by punishing the poor and middle class. This idea makes me squishy in my support for Trump, I hope the House and Senate would NOT support this goofy idea.
Wow. You’ve seen the light. Ask your fellow confederates what would happen if, after this is passed, there were no more imports?

Not going to negotiate with the defender of a felon and would-be fascist.

#GAMESOVER
There is no room for negociation

You have your side, I have mine, and never the two shall meet

But I assumed that at least you had some vague notion if what you want the president to do

My mistake and sorry for putting you on the spot

Whats your favorite biden policy and your most hated policy of trump?
Trump has policies?

Based on this thread, it looks he only has loose ramblings of half baked ideas with no realistic chance to be enacted.

Wow. You’ve seen the light. Ask your fellow confederates what would happen if, after this is passed, there were no more imports?
I'm not seeing any way Trump could get BOTH the House and the Senate to pass his 100% tariff on ALL imports.

I look at it as a bargaining tool. Trump already called imported cars the Golden Goose of tariffs.
When I last went to NYC I saw several gigantic ships off loading thousands of imported cars.
"Trump said in a statement Wednesday that the domestic auto industry is "critical to our strength as a nation."

We know that Trump, Navarro and Lightheizer negotiate better trade deals than Biden's commies. So I hope Trump protects the Us car workers, and keeps China in line, without alienating our allies or totally fucking up the economy.

A wall is not useless

It will stop most illegal entry when supplemented by electronic monitoring and boots on the ground
They go around. They go under. They go over. They go through.

It slows them down by a few minutes. Not enough to make any bit of difference.

Nobody knows what Trump’s immigration policy is.

They go around. They go under. They go over. They go through.

It slows them down by a few minutes. Not enough to make any bit of difference.

Nobody knows what Trump’s immigration policy is.
Did you miss the part about electronic monitoring and boots on the ground?

The wall makes the rest of it work

Did you miss the part about electronic monitoring and boots on the ground?

The wall makes the rest of it work
If you’re going to have all that stuff anyway, then you don’t need the wall.

The wall is virtue signaling.

I'm not seeing any way Trump could get BOTH the House and the Senate to pass his 100% tariff on ALL imports.

I look at it as a bargaining tool. Trump already called imported cars the Golden Goose of tariffs.
When I last went to NYC I saw several gigantic ships off loading thousands of imported cars.
"Trump said in a statement Wednesday that the domestic auto industry is "critical to our strength as a nation."

We know that Trump, Navarro and Lightheizer negotiate better trade deals than Biden's commies. So I hope Trump protects the Us car workers, and keeps China in line, without alienating our allies or totally fucking up the economy.
And you seem to want to go back to standing in line for toilet paper. That is how he kept China “in line” when he was president previously.

Forum List

Back