• I am millennial generation and it was not required

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Yes, The Federalist Papers is a political subject but I am more interested in whether or not you were taught about them and read them prior to graduating high-school.
I was talking to one of my millennial generation coworkers the other day and he said he was reading them for the first time. It was required reading when I was in high-school.

Yah, we read portions of them, but our HS teacher was not particularly good (he liked coaching football more), so we weren't at all sure what it was all about. That changed in college.

Yah, we read portions of them, but our HS teacher was not particularly good (he liked coaching football more), so we weren't at all sure what it was all about. That changed in college.

Yep, I read them in college again. Part of the US History curriculum.
I was surprised that my coworker had never read them.

A lot of people have probably just forgotten that they once read at least parts of them in their school days.

They are a bunch of opinion pieces.

I've read them. It's pretty funny that conservatives cling so tightly to them. Aside from some of the opinions about armed citizens..which by the way, come with the responsibility of defending the nation, because most of the Founders were vehemently against a standing army under federal control..most of them were pretty liberal pieces.

Yep, I read them in college again. Part of the US History curriculum.
I was surprised that my coworker had never read them.

Whether one has read the Federalist Papers or not as part of a high school curriculum really isn’t the issue. The issue is were the Papers taught in their proper historical context with a comprehensive understanding of subsequent developments in governance and law.

The FP is an important historical primary document, giving insight as to the Framers’ perception of the early Republic; but the Papers are contributory to, not the sole authority of, the Framers’ intent as to the fundamental nature of the Republic.

More troubling than not reading the FP in high school is to have been taught the FP only to give students the incorrect perception that the FP were indeed the ‘ultimate authority’ of what the Framers intended, and that any subsequent manifestations of governance and law are somehow ‘aberrations.’

Incorrect information is just as detrimental as a lack of information, if not more so.

I was taking a political science course early in my college studies during the fall of '92...I don't remember if it was required by the professor, or those of us hashing things out after class inspired each other. We were a group of "canitalkcanitalkcanitalk" Perot supporters.:D

They are a bunch of opinion pieces.

I've read them. It's pretty funny that conservatives cling so tightly to them. Aside from some of the opinions about armed citizens..which by the way, come with the responsibility of defending the nation, because most of the Founders were vehemently against a standing army under federal control..most of them were pretty liberal pieces.

The pieces are Classic Liberal, not Statist Progressive, with the possible exception of Alexander Hamilton. I find Pre Ratification Hamilton masked as a Federalist, and Post Ratification Hamilton, as never being satisfied with the limited power of the state, always scamming and scheming for more. From the arbitrary injustices that led up to the Whiskey Rebellion, to his War Bonds Scams, to the Alien and Sedition Acts, to turning the Court into an Oligarchy, to his National Bank Scheme and the birth of the unholy alliance between Big Money and the Federal Government. I think George Washington never knew what hit him, never figured him out. Hamilton did. Jefferson did. Madison did.

never heard of them in HS
our history teacher was the football.coach and he didnt.know shit. hell, come to think of it, our football team sucked! LOL
even corrected him on something about ancient Egypt
Sad thing that he is now the principal. at least they got a good history teacher now

Forum List

Back