The high-end, designer fashion hidden beneath the abaya

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
  • By Louise Redvers
24 June 2016

Jawaher Alyoha takes fashion very seriously. The 21-year-old from the United Arab Emirates spends upwards of $1,000 a month on clothes, shoes and bags and rarely leaves home without perfect hair and make up.

For us to feel good, we like to know we look good under our abayas

Like many Emirati women however, Alyoha wears a full-length black gown called an abaya over her clothes and a black veil, known as shailah over her hair when she’s out and about. This means only a handful of close friends and family members ever see her full outfit (normally at a private home or ladies-only event) but this doesn’t stop her shopping.

“For us to feel good, we like to know we look good under our abayas,” she said. “I remember a foreign teacher asking us once if we just wore pyjamas, and I was like ‘no way!’”

Continue reading at:

• By Louise Redvers
24 June 2016

Jawaher Alyoha takes fashion very seriously. The 21-year-old from the United Arab Emirates spends upwards of $1,000 a month on clothes, shoes and bags and rarely leaves home without perfect hair and make up.

For us to feel good, we like to know we look good under our abayas

Like many Emirati women however, Alyoha wears a full-length black gown called an abaya over her clothes and a black veil, known as shailah over her hair when she’s out and about. This means only a handful of close friends and family members ever see her full outfit (normally at a private home or ladies-only event) but this doesn’t stop her shopping.

“For us to feel good, we like to know we look good under our abayas,” she said. “I remember a foreign teacher asking us once if we just wore pyjamas, and I was like ‘no way!’”

Continue reading at:

London and Paris the women hit the fashion stores like locust to a field of wheat.

Forum List

Back