The iPhone - Obamacare Analogy

NoTeaPartyPleez

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2012
Last night on Bill Maher's show Chris Matthews nailed the right's rant about how Obamacare is not working.

To paraphrase, "Why is it that Apple can announce a new iPhone and two hours later run out of stock and can't fill orders and that's called a success?"

No one is forcing anyone to buy an I phone.

The analogy fails.

The analogy has nothing to do with the individual mandate and is right on the money. The GOP has been gleefully pointing to the glitches in the Exchanges as evidence of it's failure and yet glitches in the rollout of new software or hardware isn't greeted the same.

Three and a half years, more than $600,000,000.00 (paid by taxpayers) and we get a website that isn't functional...

Just sayin'...

Three and a half years, more than $600,000,000.00 (paid by taxpayers) and we get a website that isn't functional...

Just sayin'...

Websites that did not expect the volume of hits they received...

Just sayin'

So the administration imposes a tax that has an effect on almost every person in this country, and they don't expect a high rate of traffic at the websites on the first day of implementation? After having three and a half years to prepare? And this is supposed to be the smartest President ever?

:lmao:

Last night on Bill Maher's show Chris Matthews nailed the right's rant about how Obamacare is not working.

To paraphrase, "Why is it that Apple can announce a new iPhone and two hours later run out of stock and can't fill orders and that's called a success?"

Lets nip this in the bud.

Apple has superior website technicians. They are versed in website applications. The Obamacare website looks like it was written by a five year old. Funny enough that site cost almost $615 million to create. Obama had three years to get this right, to have everything ready, yet it exploded on the launchpad. There is no comparison between iPads and Health Insurance. So you, Bill Maher and Chris Matthews are all idiots.

Last edited:

Just sayin'...

Google used to freeze up when they became the search engine du jour in 2003, too. Jeff Bezos ran into similar bandwidth and hard disk space when Amazon had exponential bursts of growth.

There was no way the servers for 34 states could be tested without literally millions of people trying to log on at the same time. I knew the site was going to crash months ago, way before October 1. It was a no-brainer.

The salient point remains that it's about the spin, not the facts.

Just sayin'...

Just sayin'

So the administration imposes a tax that has an effect on almost every person in this country, and they don't expect a high rate of traffic at the websites on the first day of implementation? After having three and a half years to prepare? And this is supposed to be the smartest President ever?

:lmao:

You know you don't have to be signed up on the first day, right? You also know that the tax penalty will not be assessed until 2015 right? I think there's time.

Just sayin'...

Google used to freeze up when they became the search engine du jour in 2003, too. Jeff Bezos ran into similar bandwidth and hard disk space when Amazon had exponential bursts of growth.

There was no way the servers for 34 states could be tested without literally millions of people trying to log on at the same time. I knew the site was going to crash months ago, way before October 1. It was a no-brainer.

This is not spin:
Canadian firm hired to build troubled Obamacare exchanges | WashingtonExaminer.com

why didn't he hire apple, google, facebook, bing or some american firm to develop it?

Just sayin'...

Actually, Google was fine in 2003. I know because I used it to do plenty of research for high school projects with it.

Stop making excuses. The way you iron out kinks in server function is to do alpha and beta testing on the software and coding. You can't simply hope to have all of it work right off the bat. This is simple server mechanics, NoTea. Amazon has 20 million visitors a day now. The Obamacare servers were unable to handle 2 million. Pathetic.

Just sayin'...

Just sayin'

Does the number 51,000 mean anything?

That's the first week. If everyone had been able to access the sign up to completion without getting 401 error messages or computer freezes, there would have been a lot more.

I tried accessing the site on Day 1 and saw exactly what I knew I was going to see: a server crashing because I'm in New Jersey.

People will wait weeks to get a new iPhone, specifically the under 30 crowd, but they may not be too keen to sign up quickly on healthcare.gov.

You know you don't have to be signed up on the first day, right? You also know that the tax penalty will not be assessed until 2015 right? I think there's time.

Well aware, I wasn't trying to sign up.

The problem we have is, not everyone knew it, or knows it. The problem we have is, the administration has done a piss poor job of explaining this to the people. The problem we have is, over 600 million dollars, three and a half years, and they didn't even test it?

Come on Sea, it's extremely poor planning no matter who's running the country...

Forum List

Back