The James Webb Telescope has blown up past knowledge

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
So what they knew, they really were guessing. And due to findings by the James Webb Telescope, they were radically off. I can't talk to you about all of this so learn from the video.

better instruments lead to greater understanding and more knowledge. science is great.l more please.
My prediction is this. James Webb will be used to create more faulty pieces of science.

We have all the information we need. We just don't believe it. :(

Not from the infrared ... our atmosphere is effectively opaque to IR ... we've sent small IR telescopes into orbit but nothing of the size or resolution of the Webb machine ... better equipment means better science is all ... Hubble is used to see stars ... Webb is used to see things cooler ... dust, gas, anything not actively burning hydrogen ... stuff we've never seen before ...

If we had this information, we wouldn't have spent the money ...

So what they knew, they really were guessing. And due to findings by the James Webb Telescope, they were radically off. I can't talk to you about all of this so learn from the video.

Yup....but if you challenged that knowledge prior to this you would have been attacked! Told that all the experts agree and that you're too stupid.

Not from the infrared ... our atmosphere is effectively opaque to IR ... we've sent small IR telescopes into orbit but nothing of the size or resolution of the Webb machine ... better equipment means better science is all ... Hubble is used to see stars ... Webb is used to see things cooler ... dust, gas, anything not actively burning hydrogen ... stuff we've never seen before ...

If we had this information, we wouldn't have spent the money ...
We spend a lot of time and money gathering useless information, time and money that could be better utilized.

We spend a lot of time and money gathering useless information, time and money that could be better utilized.
As fascinating as it is.... and it certainly is fascinating.... I have to agree. There isn't a damn thing we can do about anything we see through that telescope and really no information out there that we can directly use here.

Of course the telescope proved people from a long time ago wrong. They didn't have such technology back then so they doing the best they could with what they had. Just like doctors did the best they could before they had microscopes. And one day we will have advanced technology that will disprove what we learned with James Webb. That's what technology is, it's ever advancing, even changing and always showing us more.

Those people were still damned amazing though.

Look at Einstein. He theorized about black holes and how they might exist. He died in 1955. We didn't even actually find evidence of one or have a detection of one until 1964, 9 years after he died. That to me is amazing.

But how many scientific discoveries or valid theories have you produced in your life?

Last edited:
better instruments lead to greater understanding and more knowledge. science is great.l more please.
Indeed. That's why the claim "the science is settled" as regards climate change are insulting.

Im not sure of your point here. Is to simply use hindsight as way to poke at people from a previous time in order to feel insightful? There seems to be a small trend lately of trying to chastise scientists from before computers really existed to show how wrong they were without commending what they did do.

Of course the telescope proved people from a long time ago wrong. They didn't have such technology back then so they doing the best they could with what they had. Just like doctors did the best they could before they had microscopes. And one day we will have advanced technology that will disprove what we learned with James Webb. That's what technology is, it's ever advancing, even changing and always showing us more.

Those people were still damned amazing though.

Look at Einstein. He theorized about black holes and how they might exist. He died in 1955. We didn't even actually find evidence of one or have a detection of one until 1964, 9 years after he died. That to me is amazing.

But how many scientific discoveries or valid theories have you produced in your life?
I sense you are upset that I used an article about the Webb Telescope as more evidence that was not known earlier. Don't be upset, had you looked at the video, I think your concerns are handled. What I have done is not important. Because this question can be also asked of you. Is that your desire to be pinned down on your discoveries?

We have all the information we need. We just don't believe it. :(
Webb has been invaluable since the telescope has debunked a lot of information earlier believed. It opened doors. I think many believed the earlier science is accurate and not changeable. But this proves it can be changed when found not to be accurate. Thanks to Webb we have the tool in place.

Forum List

Back