The James Webb Telescope has blown up past knowledge

What's the energy of a photon? Is it zero? What's the potential energy of a gravitational field? Is Is energy conserved in the gravitational field-photon system? This is pretty basic stuff, yet it will show why photons are blueshifted/redshifted in gravitational fields.

How could Newton understand this using his definition of force ... redshift wasn't discovered until two hundred years later ... this is Erwin Hubble showing Einstein and Einstein's famous remark "Das ist richtig, ich muße am Haus auf GR zu correcten" ...

Are you saying algebra is wrong? ... good luck with that Mr. Physics Major ...

Probably because the world is scientifically illiterate. It was well known in the physics community that light under Newton's theory of gravity would be bend by gravity and would undergo gravitational redshift. There are even black holes in Newtonian gravity, though they are quite different from those in Einsteinian gravity.

I'm not confused at all. My undergraduate degree was in physics.

Yes, in Einstein's theory spacetime is curved. However there's a major problem with that because quantum mechanics is incompatible with a dynamically curved spacetime. Unfortunately there isn't any kind of post-classical aether theory, at least that I know of. The closest thing might be the De Broglie-Bohm pilot wave theory.

I haven't produced any math, though perhaps in retirement I'll have the time to devote to such an endeavor.
Entanglement.

My prediction is this. James Webb will be used to create more faulty pieces of science.
According to many of the brightest people all science is around 90% wrong which is why we have stood still comparatively .

In a nutshell , if you ignore consciousness as an experimental factor and as an integral part of all explanations you are guaranteed to be in error -- from Descartes onwards .

How could Newton understand this using his definition of force ... redshift wasn't discovered until two hundred years later ... this is Erwin Hubble showing Einstein and Einstein's famous remark "Das ist richtig, ich muße am Haus auf GR zu correcten" ...

You can show Newtonian redshift/blueshift with just algebra and the conservation of energy. Give it a try.

My prediction is this. James Webb will be used to create more faulty pieces of science.
I don't think there is any faulty real science. Scientific advancement is base on observations and experimentation that leads to hypotheses that may be prove to be correct or incorrect. Even accepted scientific theories are discarded because they can no longer be supported by new evidence. A theory even one that is widely accepted is always subject to change. It simple the way science advances.

Only religious and politically ideology remains unchangeable because they are based on subjective beliefs.

I don't think there is any faulty real science. Scientific advancement is base on observations and experimentation that leads to hypotheses that may be prove to be correct or incorrect. Even accepted scientific theories are discarded because they can no longer be supported by new evidence. A theory even one that is widely accepted is always subject to change. It simple the way science advances.

Only religious and politically ideology remains unchangeable because they are based on subjective beliefs.

Science advances one funeral at a time -- Max Planck

You can show Newtonian redshift/blueshift with just algebra and the conservation of energy. Give it a try.
f = ( ( c ± vr ) / ( c ± vs ) ) fo

The Doppler Effect is not a gravitational effect, at least not in Relativity. I think this might be your source of confusion.

The Doppler Effect is not a gravitational effect, at least not in Relativity. I think this might be your source of confusion.

Let's see your math Mr Physics Major ... show us how photons are effected by Newton's Law of Gravity ... and you can start by telling us all about the mass of photons ... under Classical Physics ...

As I said ... you're confusing Modern Physics with Classical ... and in Classical Physics, the stars behind the Sun are in their proper positions, no deflection should be observed ... because photons have no mass ... they shouldn't be effected by gravity ...

Maybe you should ask your "physics professor" to explain the Eddington Experiment to you ... obviously you missed something there ...

Let's see your math Mr Physics Major ... show us how photons are effected by Newton's Law of Gravity ... and you can start by telling us all about the mass of photons ... under Classical Physics ...

As I said ... you're confusing Modern Physics with Classical ... and in Classical Physics, the stars behind the Sun are in their proper positions, no deflection should be observed ... because photons have no mass ... they shouldn't be effected by gravity ...

Maybe you should ask your "physics professor" to explain the Eddington Experiment to you ... obviously you missed something there ...
Classically speaking, does light have energy? Does gravity have energy? Is energy conserved in a light/gravity system?

Classically speaking, does light have energy? Does gravity have energy? Is energy conserved in a light/gravity system?

Your math Mr Physics Major? ... show us how Newton's gravity effects photons ... F = G m1m2 / r^2 ... m1 = 1.989 x 10^30 kilograms ...

What is m2? ... hahahaha ... in kilograms please ... hahahaha ... go ahead, say zero, I dare you ...

ETA: Hey stupid ... gravity is a force ... not energy ... measured in newtons [giggle] ... not joules ... way to go Mr Physics Major, way to go ...

Your math Mr Physics Major? ... show us how Newton's gravity effects photons ... F = G m1m2 / r^2 ... m1 = 1.989 x 10^30 kilograms ...

What is m2? ... hahahaha ... in kilograms please ... hahahaha ... go ahead, say zero, I dare you ...

ETA: Hey stupid ... gravity is a force ... not energy ... measured in newtons [giggle] ... not joules ... way to go Mr Physics Major, way to go ...
Thanks for confirming that you don't understand that Newtonian gravity has potential energy.

Newton's law of universal gravitation - Wikipedia

"Gravitational fields are also conservative; that is, the work done by gravity from one position to another is path-independent. This has the consequence that there exists a gravitational potential field V(r) such that

1717944837506.png
"

Thanks for confirming that you don't understand that Newtonian gravity has potential energy.

Newton's law of universal gravitation - Wikipedia

"Gravitational fields are also conservative; that is, the work done by gravity from one position to another is path-independent. This has the consequence that there exists a gravitational potential field V(r) such that

View attachment 959693 "

Del V(r) includes mass ... what is the mass of a photon? ... or does Mr Physics Major get to ignore To every action, there is always opposed an equal reaction ...

Don't you know that E=mc^2?

Go back to your del operation ... do you understand that includes a term for mass? ... explain your algebra in post #52 ... it's not saying what your think it says ...

F = m dv/dt ... in Classical Physics ... that has nothing to do with mass/energy conversion ratios ... del covers the acceleration, gravity still requires a mass to act on ...

Don't be shy ... tell us the mass of a photon ... and yes, we use electron-volts to measure mass ... using the conversion equation you so kindly posted above ...

Gravity is a force ... Mr Physics Major should know the difference ...

Go back to your del operation ... do you understand that includes a term for mass? ... explain your algebra in post #52 ... it's not saying what your think it says ...

F = m dv/dt ... in Classical Physics ... that has nothing to do with mass/energy conversion ratios ... del covers the acceleration, gravity still requires a mass to act on ...

Don't be shy ... tell us the mass of a photon ... and yes, we use electron-volts to measure mass ... using the conversion equation you so kindly posted above ...

Gravity is a force ... Mr Physics Major should know the difference ...
The mass of a photon is E/c^2. F=dp/dt. V(r)=-GM/r. Electron-volts are a measure of energy. You seem to be very confused about basic physics.

The mass of a photon is E/c^2. F=dp/dt. V(r)=-GM/r. Electron-volts are a measure of energy. You seem to be very confused about basic physics.

What is the mass of a photon? ... your using the formula V(r) = -GM/r ... so what does M equal? ... if it's zero, then V(r) = 0 for all r ≠ 0 ... and explain the del operator, do you know what that is? ... c'mon Mr Physics Major, show your math if you dare ...

"By mass–energy equivalence, the electronvolt corresponds to a unit of mass. It is common in particle physics, where units of mass and energy are often interchanged, to express mass in units of eV/c2, where c is the speed of light in vacuum (from E = mc2). It is common to informally express mass in terms of eV as a unit of mass, effectively using a system of natural units with c set to 1."

-- Electronvolt - Wikipedia

I think you guys are talking over yourselves.

I'm discussing Classical Physics ... you and butthead are using Modern Physics ... from your link:

"In classical electromagnetic theory, light turns out to have energy E and momentum p, and these happen to be related by E = pc. Quantum mechanics introduces the idea that light can be viewed as a collection of "particles""

As explained, under Classical Physics, light has momentum, and this momentum carries the energy ... not mass ... therefore, under Classical Physics, gravity has no effect on photons ... why do you disagree? ...

You know what a del operators is ... or at least you once did ... all those many many decades ago ...

I'm discussing Classical Physics ... you and butthead are using Modern Physics ... from your link:

"In classical electromagnetic theory, light turns out to have energy E and momentum p, and these happen to be related by E = pc. Quantum mechanics introduces the idea that light can be viewed as a collection of "particles""

As explained, under Classical Physics, light has momentum, and this momentum carries the energy ... not mass ... therefore, under Classical Physics, gravity has no effect on photons ... why do you disagree? ...

You know what a del operators is ... or at least you once did ... all those many many decades ago ...
Apparently he does.

Forum List

Back