The No-Fly List Debate:

Bruce_T_Laney

Platinum Member
May 27, 2014
Hell
Question:

Was the Fort Hood Shooter, San Bernardino Shooters, The Colorado Shooter and many other mass shooters on the No-Fly list, and if not then why are we even discussing about this list and preventing someone that might be on the list the ability to obtain a gun?

Next Question:

Do you actually believe if a law is passed to prevent someone on a No-Fly list will actually prevent them from buying a firearm and if they are a terrorist do you actually believe they care there is a law that is suppose to stop them from buying a gun legally?

Final Question:

How accurate is the No-Fly list and what would prevent someone from using the list to add people to it to prevent them from owning a firearm while the person added to it is not a threat but a political enemy of those that have access to the list?

-----

My Opinion:

The No-Fly list is not a concrete proof that someone is a threat to our National security. Former Senator Ted Kennedy was once on the list mistakenly and it could happen to a innocent individual that would prevent them from obtaining a firearm because their name is on a list that sometimes is not accurate.

You have to have actual evidence the individual in question is a danger to our national security, and a list is not evidence and yes our government make mistakes daily.

Also a Terrorist does not care if they can obtain a firearm legally or not, and if they can not obtain one they will find another way to wreak their havoc on our society, and perfect examples would be Tim McVeigh, 9-11 attackers and Boston Bombers and they did not use a firearm to wreak their destruction against the American Public.

So I disagree with President Obama call onto Congress to pass a Law that would revoke someone Constitutional Right to Bear Arms based on a list that one time had Ted Kennedy on it...

Ted Kennedy on No-Fly List

I seem to recall the former governor of Nevada was on the no fly list, according to local news reports, making it very difficult for him to fly commercial. And for whatever reason nearly impossible, if not impossible, to remove his name from said list

• Banned
I seem to recall the former governor of Nevada was on the no fly list, according to local news reports, making it very difficult for him to fly commercial. And for whatever reason nearly impossible, if not impossible, to remove his name from said list

I already had someone in another thread tell me you can have your name removed, but the reality is that is easier said then done.

The No-Fly list is faulty and should never be used to deny a individual their Constitutional Rights. Anyone within our Government calling for a law to be passed to use such list to prevent someone of their Constitutional Right is doing so knowingly that it could be used as a political weapon down the road, and I believe the USSC would toss a law like that out as fast as possible.

It is a stupid idea and should have never been thought of!

• Banned
If you're on the no fly list... then you have MAJORLY FUUUUUCKED UP SOMEHOW!!!

And that's not a person that I would want being able to walk into a gun store and walk out with an arsenal 30 minutes later.

Again, Ted Kennedy was on the list along with others that were not a threat to our National Security. You could argue Ted was a threat to a bottle of booze when he was younger, and maybe a woman in his car while driving her home, but not a national threat.

The No-Fly list is faulty, and as I have stated the mass shooters were not on it, so it would not have prevented any terrorist attack.

And that's not a person that I would want being able to walk into a gun store and walk out with an arsenal 30 minutes later.

Again, Ted Kennedy was on the list along with others that were not a threat to our National Security. You could argue Ted was a threat to a bottle of booze when he was younger, and maybe a woman in his car while driving her home, but not a national threat.

The No-Fly list is faulty, and as I have stated the mass shooters were not on it, so it would not have prevented any terrorist attack.
In general, I would like most young men who have flung cars off of bridges and killed a woman as a result to not be able to get a gun without having to jump through several hoops. Seems pretty reasonable to me. :dunno:

• Banned

In general, I would like most young men who have flung cars off of bridges and killed a woman as a result to not be able to get a gun without having to jump through several hoops. Seems pretty reasonable to me. :dunno:

Never convicted, so as long as he was never convicted of the crime and never did the time he still has Constitutional Rights like the right to bear arms.

The No-Fly list is a non-starter to me, and again the majority if not all the mass shooters were never on the list in the first place.

It is a political tool that should never be passed into law!

Or have a somewhat common name, or a name similar to one on the list, or a clerical error, or....

Prohibiting a Citizen, who would otherwise be permitted by current law, from purchasing a firearm solely because their name is on the No-Fly list would be depriving them of Civil Rights without Due Process.
I don't disagree with the basic concept of a no-fly list, but what we have is flawed to the extreme and needs a massive overhaul before it can even begin to be used in such an application.
A better list would have photographs and/or identifying vital information (birth date, Soc. Sec. No., address, etc.) beyond that of just a name, as well as a system of checks and balances in effect to prevent erroneous, arbitrary, or vindictive additions to the list.

Forum List

Back