The Official Zimmerman Trial Verdict Thread

What are your Initial Thoughts on the Guilt or Innocence of George Zimmerman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trayvon would not have been there had he not been caught with the drugs and gotten suspended from school.
I believe his mom sent him up to his dad for a while.

So, what's your point? He had it coming? :cuckoo:

no--It's pretty clear what the point is. He just wouldn't have been there for any of this to happen. Simple to rational people.

The other side of that coin is that if Zimmerman had not jumped out of his truck or returned to it (when the dispatcher said not to follow) and let the cops do their job then he wouldn't have been there either.

>>>>

Zimmerman shot an unarmed child.

Why is anything else relevent here?

For God's sake...this never ending attempt to portray Trayvon Martin as some defenseless "waif" has gotten SO tired. He wasn't a "child". He was in his late teens and from his text messages and his suspensions from school he was anything but a little angel.

no--It's pretty clear what the point is. He just wouldn't have been there for any of this to happen. Simple to rational people.

The other side of that coin is that if Zimmerman had not jumped out of his truck or returned to it (when the dispatcher said not to follow) and let the cops do their job then he wouldn't have been there either.

>>>>

He would have had to be there already to do those things :confused:

>>>>

So your message is that we should all cower in our homes and let the Police protect us? Might I point out that the Police were NOT protecting that particular neighborhood! That they were having serious problems with break-ins and that the Police were NOT catching the people doing so! George Zimmerman joined a Neighborhood Watch group. To be quite frank with you, I can think of few things more responsible than doing that. You're helping to protect the things that matter most to you...your home and your loved ones.

The truth of the matter is that George Zimmerman is being targeted as a "symbol" by those who absolutely HATE the idea of private citizens having the right to protect themselves. That's what this is all about...it's what it always HAS been all about.

>>>>

So your message is that we should all cower in our homes and let the Police protect us? Might I point out that the Police were NOT protecting that particular neighborhood! That they were having serious problems with break-ins and that the Police were NOT catching the people doing so! George Zimmerman joined a Neighborhood Watch group. To be quite frank with you, I can think of few things more responsible than doing that. You're helping to protect the things that matter most to you...your home and your loved ones.

The truth of the matter is that George Zimmerman is being targeted as a "symbol" by those who absolutely HATE the idea of private citizens having the right to protect themselves. That's what this is all about...it's what it always HAS been all about.

Now you're just making things up. Well, you have been for a while, but still.

No one has a problem with private citizens protecting themselves. Many have a problem with vigilante justice. The constitution guarantees everyone the right to a trial. Martin did not get a trial before he was killed.

>>>>

No one has a problem with private citizens protecting themselves. Many have a problem with vigilante justice. The constitution guarantees everyone the right to a trial. Martin did not get a trial before he was killed.

IF Martin did indeed decide to attack Zimmerman, he forfeited his right to trial and chose trial by fire.

>>>>

That may seriously be one of the sillier posts I've seen in a quite some time, Ravi. Martin didn't fail to get a trial because someone was violating his Constitutional rights...he didn't get a trial because he got into a fight with someone over a REALLY STUPID thing and got himself shot.

What's both amazing and appalling is that people like you have managed to take the man who organized a protest when a white police officer's kid punched out a black homeless person and wasn't punished for it and make HIM a racist. You've done that because to you he's a symbol of people defending themselves with a firearm and that has to be stopped at all costs. That's why George Zimmerman is going to court.

>>>>

Not my message at all. I also am a member of our neighborhood watch group. The issue isn't whether Zimmerman did the right thing in calling the police. The issue is whether Zimmerman conducted himself in accordance with the law that night and that is something the Jury will decide. I'm on board with that.

Part of your Neighborhood Watch training is that you are supposed to report to the police and they will handle the situation, we are trained NOT to interject yourself into a situation, to keep yourself apart and not place yourself in danger. When Zimmerman followed Martin he was not following neighborhood watch protocols.

>>>>

IF Martin did indeed decide to attack Zimmerman, he forfeited his right to trial and chose trial by fire.
That's a big if.

And if Zimmerman attacked Martin, he forgoes the self-defense defense unless he proves he satisfied the condition(s) required to regain it under Florida Statute 776.041.

That is what the jury will be deciding.

>>>>

>>>>

Not my message at all. I also am a member of our neighborhood watch group. The issue isn't whether Zimmerman did the right thing in calling the police. The issue is whether Zimmerman conducted himself in accordance with the law that night and that is something the Jury will decide. I'm on board with that.

Part of your Neighborhood Watch training is that you are supposed to report to the police and they will handle the situation, we are trained NOT to interject yourself into a situation, to keep yourself apart and not place yourself in danger. When Zimmerman followed Martin he was not following neighborhood watch protocols.

>>>>

He was trying to keep him in sight so he could help the police find him and check it out. He called the police, for Christ's sake. He didn't hunt him down like a dog.

That may seriously be one of the sillier posts I've seen in a quite some time, Ravi. Martin didn't fail to get a trial because someone was violating his Constitutional rights...he didn't get a trial because he got into a fight with someone over a REALLY STUPID thing and got himself shot.

What's both amazing and appalling is that people like you have managed to take the man who organized a protest when a white police officer's kid punched out a black homeless person and wasn't punished for it and make HIM a racist. You've done that because to you he's a symbol of people defending themselves with a firearm and that has to be stopped at all costs. That's why George Zimmerman is going to court.
Your opinion of what happened or what you want to believe happened doesn't make it so. The trial will decide Zimmerman's guilt or lack thereof.

>>>>

He was trying to keep him in sight so he could help the police find him and check it out. He called the police, for Christ's sake. He didn't hunt him down like a dog.
We don't actually know that.

>>>>

And you know this how other that from Zimmerman's statements? A person BTW who has already show a propensity to lie to the court.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Zimmerman is guilty of Murder 2 based on the evidence that is in the public domain and without the testimony of expert witnesses on how that evidence is to interpreted. I think it's much more of a case of a overzealous individual that got himself into a situation and whose action caused him to take a life. If I was a juror right now, based on what we know (or can logically assume) I'd vote not guilty on the charge of Murder 2 as I don't think he had a reckless disregard for human live in his actions.

That doesn't mean I can't look at the evidence and identify those things that undermine or show Zimmerman was not truthful about the events that night.

>>>>

>>>>

And you know this how other that from Zimmerman's statements? A person BTW who has already show a propensity to lie to the court.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Zimmerman is guilty of Murder 2 based on the evidence that is in the public domain and without the testimony of expert witnesses on how that evidence is to interpreted. I think it's much more of a case of a overzealous individual that got himself into a situation and whose action caused him to take a life. If I was a juror right now, based on what we know (or can logically assume) I'd vote not guilty on the charge of Murder 2 as I don't think he had a reckless disregard for human live in his actions.

That doesn't mean I can't look at the evidence and identify those things that undermine or show Zimmerman was not truthful about the events that night.

>>>>

fair enough--I'd just ask the jury why if Zimmerman was being a vigilante did he even bother to call the cops at all? It would have been much easier to just hunt him down and shoot him.

>>>>

We don't actually know that.

Yes Ravi--we really do

>>>>

>>>>

You don't think there is a reckless disregard for human life involved in shooting someone?

>>>>

You don't think there is a reckless disregard for human life involved in shooting someone?

IF the conditions are such that it is a self-defense situation? No, I don't.

IF, on the other hand someone walks into a mall, pulls a weapon and starts shooting random people, then in that case there is a reckless disregard for human life.

"Reckless disregard" is situational. IF the conditions were as Zimmerman claims (which not all the evidence supports) then defending yourself is not reckless. That does not mean that his actions leading up to that point might not run in conflict with another law at a lower standard - for example Manslaughter - and that he can't be held accountable for those actions. But the charge here is Murder 2, so that is the standard under the law I would be required to apply - if I were a juror.

Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, the prosecution has the obligation to prove Murder 2. Zimmerman can mount no defense and hope they don't prove their case OR Zimmerman can mount a self-defense defense and show how his actions were justified. Then it will be up to the jury.

>>>>

Last edited:
Even in a self-defense situation, he'd be still be showing reckless disregarded for human life. Self-defense means that he should not be punished because it was justified under the circumstances, not that he didn't commit the underlying crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back