The origins of "Florida Man"

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I was talking with a friend of mine, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two, and he told me the reason why "Florida Man" ever became a running joke.

Apparently, in most states, the 'police blotter' (the info police departments release about arrests and police activity) is largely discretionary. They report what they want. But several years ago, Florida passed very strict sunshine laws that mandated that police reports be published, verbatim, for public consumption. So, police departments no longer had the leeway to paper over whacky shit that most people didn't need to hear about anyway. Thus, "Florida Man". Just thought that was kind of interesting.

I was talking with a friend of mine, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two, and he told me the reason why "Florida Man" ever became a running joke.

Apparently, in most states, the 'police blotter' (the info police departments release about arrests and police activity) is largely discretionary. They report what they want. But several years ago, Florida passed very strict sunshine laws that mandated that police reports be published, verbatim, for public consumption. So, police departments no longer had the leeway to paper over whacky shit that most people didn't need to hear about anyway. Thus, "Florida Man". Just thought that was kind of interesting.

I'm sure there's TONS of whacky shit public offices of all types don't report to the public.

1636426579612.png

1636426683234.png

1636426792064.png

Forum List

Back