The perfect ode to Joe

WOW!!! The big guy in the plaid shirt!...Fabulous!

I spent 30 years of my life trying to learn to play like Hendrix, before I woke up one morning and realized I wasn't Black and it wasn't the 60's anymore. There are 14 year old kids in Texas who could do a better version of a Hendrix tune than I could ever do.

:laughing0301:

I spent 30 years of my life trying to learn to play like Hendrix, before I woke up one morning and realized I wasn't Black and it wasn't the 60's anymore. There are 14 year old kids in Texas who could do a better version of a Hendrix tune than I could ever do.

:laughing0301:
Ahh....the 60's ....so glorious in so many ways eh?

I almost forgot about this masterpice by the greatest guitarist of all time. Perfect for a goodbye to old Joe.

I would not waste a single drop of sweat off Jimi's bails on Joe Biden. A year from now, Biden will be in a wheelchair with a blanket on his lap sitting in the corner of a retirement home still thinking he is president with throngs of millions before him applauding his name.

I spent 30 years of my life trying to learn to play like Hendrix

Hendrix was a freak of nature, a genius. He played left hand with a right hand guitar upside down meaning that the order of the strings was both revered on the plectrum and for the fingering of the frets!!! Add to that, he played the guitar behind his head without even missing a beat then played it with his teeth.

I've watched him do that for over 50 years and still can't figure it out.

Hendrix was a freak of nature, a genius. He played left hand with a right hand guitar upside down meaning that the order of the strings was both revered on the plectrum and for the fingering of the frets!!! Add to that, he played the guitar behind his head without even missing a beat then played it with his teeth.

I've watched him do that for over 50 years and still can't figure it out.

True. He coaxed sounds out of those 12AX7 and 6550 tubes that they weren't even designed to make.

12AX7 was an audio preamp tube and the 6550 was a push-pull audio power output tube.
Sounds like you might be a musician. :SMILEW~130:

I've owned more than a few Marshall and Fender Amps, and used to repair old tube amps I picked up at garage sales and flea markets.

B+ voltages are fun to work with as long as you don't let them grab you. 12 years I was an electronics bench tech for DeVry in Irving, TX. Worst I ever got zapped was from a live heat sink on a horizontal output transistor like they used in the old CGA monitors. 100 volts at 15.75kHz will make your arm numb.

I've owned more than a few Marshall and Fender Amps, and used to repair old tube amps I picked up at garage sales and flea markets.
Nice. I tended to work more on home audio (music playback) gear more so than stage gear for musicians (though I do use some pro audio gear in the home--- QSC is a fave brand of mine) but one interesting thing I did was to create a modified tube version of a floor effects RAT box for electric guitar for a famous rock guitarist! The nice thing about the stage stuff, is that it was very simple circuitry with straightforward designs using a minimum of feedback!

B+ voltages are fun to work with as long as you don't let them grab you.
A friend and I devised many of our own circuits where we pushed the B+ up as high as 700 volts! I have a mono power amp in the next room we modified off of a Williamson type W-4 that actually used metal output tubes made for the military. They are comparable to an EL-34, but instead of a glass case, the B+ is developed on the outer metal case instead! Do not touch! :SMILEW~130:

12 years I was an electronics bench tech for DeVry in Irving, TX.
I think you might have told me about that once before!

Worst I ever got zapped was from a live heat sink on a horizontal output transistor like they used in the old CGA monitors. 100 volts at 15.75kHz will make your arm numb.
The color CRT monitors were the worst! SNAP! All you had to do was get close. Worse, the capacitors held their voltage long after the set was turned off.

Nice. I tended to work more on home audio (music playback) gear more so than stage gear for musicians (though I do use some pro audio gear in the home--- QSC is a fave brand of mine) but one interesting thing I did was to create a modified tube version of a floor effects RAT box for electric guitar for a famous rock guitarist! The nice thing about the stage stuff, is that it was very simple circuitry with straightforward designs using a minimum of feedback!

A friend and I devised many of our own circuits where we pushed the B+ up as high as 700 volts! I have a mono power amp in the next room we modified off of a Williamson type W-4 that actually used metal output tubes made for the military. They are comparable to an EL-34, but instead of a glass case, the B+ is developed on the outer metal case instead! Do not touch! :SMILEW~130:

I think you might have told me about that once before!

The color CRT monitors were the worst! SNAP! All you had to do was get close. Worse, the capacitors held their voltage long after the set was turned off.

I have a brother who lives in a Chicago suburb. He collects vintage music gear like Marshall and Fender amps, 1960's Gender and Gibson guitars, vintage effect pedals, old tape loop echo machines, and stuff. I think he has a couple McIntosh tube stereo audio amps too. He used to buy all that stuff before it was worth anything.

I quit playing guitar around 2007, haven't touched one since then.

I have a brother who lives in a Chicago suburb. He collects vintage music gear like Marshall and Fender amps, 1960's Gender and Gibson guitars, vintage effect pedals, old tape loop echo machines, and stuff. I think he has a couple McIntosh tube stereo audio amps too. He used to buy all that stuff before it was worth anything.

My audio guru buddy (passed away in 2010), was a big fan of classic Marantz tube gear. Back in the 1980s he modified a Marantz 7 preamp with what he called a "constant current" circuit he devised using an LED diode he got from some university somewhere. This kept the tubes in an ideal state of operation during even the most demanding musical passages. He modified the face plate so that there was actually a window where you could look in and see the LED glowing.

He used a custom stereo subwoofer a guy in our area designed and built, a pair of QUAD-57 electrostatic speakers for the midrange and a pair of big professional horns hung from the ceiling for tweeters. He drove them off a modified Marantz 8A tube power amp using Genalex power tubes using a Transcriptors Transcriber table with a strain gauge for the pick up. It really was quite the system. I wish I had some photos of it.

Unfortunately, his wife had super toxic bitchy constant terminal PMS (you could feel the Beast emanating from her) and one day it boiled over to the point that he couldn't take it any longer and just got up and walked out on her never to come back, leaving all his stuff behind. A few years later he resurfaced, found a new woman in his life, and put his life back together finding a better home and ultimately (with a little help from me) put together an even better, bigger unbelievable music system for the last few remaining (deliriously happy) years of his life.

Forum List

Back