"The Reader"

I just saw this movie yesterday. It was one of the most intense and disturbing experiences of my cinema history.

I would love to discuss it with someone, but I doubt this forum is the place to do that.

Why not ?--every holocaust movie receives some obligatory award.
Gotta remind everyone to feel guilty. Can anyone else see that overplaying the holocaust will backfire ?

What about movies about WW2, or Viet Nam? You feel the same about them too?

depends. if john wayne's in them, hell no!
:eusa_whistle:

My dad used to say that since John Wayne won everything then why did he (dad) go to war? :lol:

It's not exactly a Holocaust/Shoah film but it's not subject to revisionism. Kanal, the story of the Warsaw ghetto uprising, I saw it when I was a kid back in the late 1950s and I've never forgotten it. I don't know if it's available now but it's instructive viewing.

Kanal (1957)

I haven't seen The Reader, but the review causes me to ask, why do we ask actors questions about things in which they have no particular expertise? The ability to memorise a script and portray a character, however skilful it may be, doesn't automatically endow someone with knowledge.

I would still like to discuss this film with anyone who may have seen it. I found the story disturbing on so many levels.

Forum List

Back