The Reasons Comey was Fired...The Letter that Explains it all...

Trump has already stated that he had already planned to fire Comey. The letters were a excuse. Those letters are one opinion. They are not written in stone.

Jeff Sessions recommended Trump fire James Comey in letter

Several former DOJ's weighed in on the malpractice of James Comey in his handling of selacious stories during and after the election cycle. Many of the AG's explain why the parting from protocol was unacceptable and debilitating to the orgaization which could only be refreshed by removing James Comey.

I could not copy the document but perhaps someone else can. Read it here...

Trump’s Tortuous Path to Firing James Comey – Mother Jones

One thing is having an excuse for firing him, another is wanting to find him and finding any old excuse to fire him. The latter is what seems to have happened.

Several former DOJ's weighed in on the malpractice of James Comey in his handling of selacious stories during and after the election cycle. Many of the AG's explain why the parting from protocol was unacceptable and debilitating to the orgaization which could only be refreshed by removing James Comey.

You seem to have misread you own source. The main point of the article is this:

"As details continue to emerge about President Trump’s extraordinary firing of FBI Director James Comey, there are growing indications that the FBI’s investigation of Trump campaign ties to Russia was a key motive in the termination."

You have to recall that Jackson is the same grotesquely fraudulent shit bird who tried to play off Trump was saying Megan Kelly was crying blood.

Trump has already stated that he had already planned to fire Comey. The letters were a excuse. Those letters are one opinion. They are not written in stone.
No, the are the opinion of former AG from both parties. It also explains the timing of the firing.
Practically speaking, they are written in stone.

One thing is having an excuse for firing him, another is wanting to find him and finding any old excuse to fire him. The latter is what seems to have happened.
You really have to take time to read the letter. There were several charges against Comey from the former Attorney Generals.
Basically, he was making judgments that belonged in the hands of others. He was making himself the investigative tool, the prosecutor, judge and jury which was not the role of a Director of the FBI.

Page 3 of Rosenstein’s letter:

The Director was wrong to usurp the AG’s authority on July 15, 2016 and announce his conclusion that the case be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement. At the most, the Director should have said the FBI had completed its investigation and presented it to federal prosecutors…the FBI Director is never empowered to supplant federal prosecutors and assume command of the Justice Dept.

The Director announced his own conclusions about the nation’s most sensitive criminal investigation without the duly appointed Justice Dept. leaders.

More to come…
Comey was concerned that Lynch was "campaigning" for Hillary Clinton. Which it sounds like she was. The meeting on the tarmac was over the top obvious. The request to call the investigation a "matter" was more of the same. Comey actually did something "brave" in giving his boss the middle finger and coming out with the FBI's findings BECAUSE he was afraid his boss would fudge those findings.
If you didn't like Hillary, you should be glad he did it. It sure didn't come out well for her, and if you think the decision to prosecute would have gone another way with Lynch.....wake up.

You seem to have misread you own source. The main point of the article is this:

"As details continue to emerge about President Trump’s extraordinary firing of FBI Director James Comey, there are growing indications that the FBI’s investigation of Trump campaign ties to Russia was a key motive in the termination."
The opinion seems to indicate that Comey's history of going beyond the boundaries of an investigative agency, it was hard to trust him with the task of merely investigating. He was making judgments that were not his to make.

Page 3 of Rosenstein’s letter:

The Director was wrong to usurp the AG’s authority on July 15, 2016 and announce his conclusion that the case be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement. At the most, the Director should have said the FBI had completed its investigation and presented it to federal prosecutors…the FBI Director is never empowered to supplant federal prosecutors and assume command of the Justice Dept.

The Director announced his own conclusions about the nation’s most sensitive criminal investigation without the duly appointed Justice Dept. leaders.

More to come…
Comey was concerned that Lynch was "campaigning" for Hillary Clinton. Which it sounds like she was. The meeting on the tarmac was over the top obvious. The request to call the investigation a "matter" was more of the same. Comey actually did something "brave" in giving his boss the middle finger and coming out with the FBI's findings BECAUSE he was afraid his boss would fudge those findings.
If you didn't like Hillary, you should be glad he did it. It sure didn't come out well for her, and if you think the decision to prosecute would have gone another way with Lynch.....wake up.
But it appears that Comey was a one man decider of a person's fate. Nevermind where my allegiances lie, it was not his opinion that mattered when deciding to prosecute or not. That was the job of prosecutors. If he doesn't give the matter to the prosecutors, just saying not a prosecutor would prosecute does not make it a done deal. The prosecutors should have been given the material so THEY could decide whether to prosecute or not. That is not the job of the FBI as indicated over and over again i n the comments from former Attorney Generals.

Most of the letter from Deputy Attorney General to Jeff Sessions:

MEMORANDUM FOR THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

SUBJECT: RESTORING PUBLIC CONFIDENCE IN THE FBI
May 9, 2017

The FBI has long been regarded as our nation’s premier federal investigative agency. Over the past year, however, the FBI’s reputation and credibility have suffered substantial damage, and is has infected the entire Department of Justice. That is deeply troubling to many Department employees and veterans, legislators and citizens.

The current FBI Director is an articulate and persuasive speaker about leadership and the immutable principles of the Department of Justice. He deserves our appreciation for his public service. As you and I have discussed, however, I cannot defend the Director’s handling of the conclusion of the investigation of Secretary Clintons emails, and I do not understamd his refusal to accept the near;ly universal judgment that he was mistaken. Almost everyone agrees that the Director made serious mistakes; it is one of the few issues that unites people of diverse perspectives.

Compounding the error, the Director (Comey) ignored another longstanding principle, we do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation…

(Comey) laid out his version of the facts for the news media as if it were a closing argument, but without a trial. It is a textbook example of what federal prosecutors and agents are taught not to do.

Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey. Alberto Gonzalez, Eric Holder, Donald Ayer weighed in about the impropriety of [m1] actions continued on p.4.

Page 5…

Ayer’s letter noted, “Perhaps most troubling is the precedent set by this departure from the Department’s widely respected, non-partisan traditions.”

“I agree with the nearly unanimous opinions of former Department officials. The way (Comey) handled the conclusion of the email investigation was wrong. As a result, the FBI is unlikely to regain public and congressional trust until it has a Director who understands the gravity of the mistakes and pledges never to repeat them. Having refused to admit his errors the Director (comey) cannot be expected to implement the necessary corrective actions.”

A recap of problems with Comey’s decisions regarding the FBI and its workings:

1. (p.4..) or p. 2 of Rosenstein’s letter:

“The goal of a federal criminal investigation is not to announce our thoughts at a press conference. The goal is to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to justify a federal criminal prosecution, then allow a federal prosecutor who exercises authority delegated by the Attorney General to make a prosecutorial decision and then – if prosecution is warranted, let the judge and jury determine the facts.

2. My perspective on these issues is shared by Former Attorneys General and Deputy General from different eras and both political parties.

Judge Laurence Silberman who served as Deputy Attorney General under President Ford, wrote that, “it is not the bureau’s responsibility to opine on whether a matter should be prosecuted. Silberman believes that the Director’s performance was so inappropriate for an FBI director that [he] doubt(s) the bureau will ever completely recover.”

2. Jamie Gorelick, Deputy Attorney General under president Clinton, joined with Larry Thompson, Deputy Attorney General under G.W. Bush to opine that the Director had chosen personally to restrike the balance between transparency and fairness. Departing from the department’s traditions.” They concluded that the Director violated his obligation to preserve, protect and defend the traditions of the Department and the FBI.

3. Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who served under George W. Bush, observed that the Director ‘stepped way outside his job in disclosing the recommendation in that fashion because the FBI director “doesn’t make that decision.”

4. Alberto Gonzalez who served as Attorney General under George W. bush, called the decision “an error in judgment.”

5. Eric Holder, who served as Deputy Attorney General under president Clinton and Attorney General under President Obama, said that the Director’s decision was “incorrect.” It violated a long standing Justice Department policies and traditions. And it ran counter to guidance that I put in place four years ago laying out the proper way to conduct investigations during an election season.” Holder concluded that the Director “broke with these fundamental principles” and negatively affected the public trust in both the Justice Department and the FBI.”

6. Former Deputy Attorneys General; Gorelick and Thompson described the unusual events, as” real time, raw take transparency taken to it’s illogical limit, a kind of reality TV of federal criminal investigation,” that is “antithetical to the interest of justice.”

7. Donald Ayer, who served Deputy Attorney General under President GHW Bush, along with other former Justice Department officials was astonished and perplexed by the decision tp “break with the long standing practices followed by officials of both parties during past elections. Ayers letter noted, “Perhaps most troubling…is the precedent set by this departure from the Department’s widely respected, non partisan traditions.”

8. Page 5

We should reject the departure and return to traditions.

Although the President has the power to remove an FBI Director, the decision should not be taken lightly. I agree with the nearly unanimous opinions of former Department officials, The way the Director handled the conclusion of the email investigation was wrong., As a result, the FBI is unlikely to regain public and congressional trust until it has a Director who understands the gravity of the mistakes and pledges never to repeat them. Having refused to admit his errors, the Director cannot be expected to implement the necessary corrective actions.

9. Statement from the Press Secretary May 9th, 2017

“Today, President Donald J. Trump informed Director Comey that he has been terminated and removed from office. President Trump acted based on the clear recommendations from Deputy General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

The FBI is one of our nation’s most cherished and respected institutions and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement,” said President Trump.

A search for a new permanent FBI Director will begin immediately.

###

[m1]

Well it's kind of hard to deny why Trump fired Comey when Trump gets interviewed on NBC and states that he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation. And that is Obstruction of Justice an impeachable offense.

President Trump on Thursday said he was thinking of “this Russia thing with Trump” when he decided to fire FBI Director James B. Comey, who had been leading the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Recounting his decision to dismiss Comey, Trump told NBC News, “In fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said, ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won.’”Trump’s account flatly contradicts the White House’s initial account of how the president arrived at his decision, undercutting public denials by his aides that the move was influenced in any way by his growing fury with the ongoing Russia probe.
Trump said he was thinking of Russia controversy when he decided to fire Comey

Here he is on T.V. saying it--and this interview was also brought up by James Comey under testimony.
Donald Trump admits 'this Russia thing' part of reasoning for firing Comey

No one is going to believe that Trump fired James Comey because he was mean to Hillary Clinton--which was his original story.
I understand what you are saying, but consider this..I do feel that Comey wanted to get even with Trump and that would entail, pinning the Russian Investigation as the reason why Trump wanted Comey out. But, if that was the case, Comey should have made his prepared remarks focusing on that investigation and Trumps interest in it. But Comey intentionally stayed away from Russian Investigation in prepared remarks. And, the only question Trump asked, was, "Am I a target of that investigation. Of which, Comey should not have revealed whether he was or wasn't. In respect to the Russian investigation, Trump only said he was looking forwards to the conclusion to see if any of his associates were involved.

So, it didn't appear that Comey was as interested in the Russian investigation when talking to the committe but of his "feelings."

Last edited:

Well it's kind of hard to deny why Trump fired Comey when Trump gets interviewed on NBC and states that he fired Comey because of the Russian investigation. And that is Obstruction of Justice an impeachable offense.

President Trump on Thursday said he was thinking of “this Russia thing with Trump” when he decided to fire FBI Director James B. Comey, who had been leading the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Recounting his decision to dismiss Comey, Trump told NBC News, “In fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said, ‘You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it’s an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have won.’”Trump’s account flatly contradicts the White House’s initial account of how the president arrived at his decision, undercutting public denials by his aides that the move was influenced in any way by his growing fury with the ongoing Russia probe.
Trump said he was thinking of Russia controversy when he decided to fire Comey

Here he is on T.V. saying it--and this interview was also brought up by James Comey under testimony.
Donald Trump admits 'this Russia thing' part of reasoning for firing Comey

No one is going to believe that Trump fired James Comey because he was mean to Hillary Clinton--which was his original story.
I understand what you are saying, but consider this..I do feel that Comey wanted to get even with Trump and that would entail, pinning the Russian Investigation as the reason why Trump wanted Comey out. But, if that was the case, Comey should have made his prepared remarks focusing on that investigation and Trumps interest in it. But Comey intentionally stayed away from Russian Investigation in prepared remarks. And, the only question Trump asked, was, "Am I a target of that investigation. Of which, Comey should not have revealed whether he was or wasn't. In respect to the Russian investigation, Trump only said he was looking forwards to the conclusion to see if any of his associates were involved.

So, it didn't appear that Comey was as interested in the Russian investigation when talking to the committe but of his "feelings."

Comey has to stay away from the Russian investigation--as it is now a criminal investigation. In fact Comey met with the special prosecutor--Robert Mueller--and was advised as to what he could say & could not say. It's what they refuse to answer in a public hearing that you need to be concerned about.

Lindsey Graham explained it--on May 17, 2017

"Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham on Thursday said it’s clear that after Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein briefed the Senate on the investigation into Russian involvement in the presidential election that it has become a criminal probe.

“The shock to the body is that this is now a criminal investigation,” Graham (R-SC) told reporters moments after he exited the Senate chamber.

He said now that it has become a criminal investigation instead of an counterintelligence probe Congress may be impeded in carrying out its own examinations.

“You’ve got a special counsel who has prosecutorial powers now, and I think we in Congress have to be very careful not to interfere,” Graham said. “Public access to this is probably going to be very limited now. It’s going to really limit what the public will know about this.”

http://nypost.com/2017/05/18/lindsey-graham-russia-probe-now-a-criminal-investigation/

Robert Mueller just hired a top dog criminal expert to be part of the Russian investigation which also should be of concern.
Top criminal law expert joins special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe

As far as Comey's comment is Trump under investigation--he specifically stated not during his tenure but he was not certain whether or not he was now. Comey also testified after to talking with other DOJ officials as to whether a Trump surrogate was guilty of collusion with Russia--if Trump as the person they're working for would also be guilty. I believe his response after looking into this, was yes.

Last edited:

You really have to take time to read the letter. There were several charges against Comey from the former Attorney Generals.
Basically, he was making judgments that belonged in the hands of others. He was making himself the investigative tool, the prosecutor, judge and jury which was not the role of a Director of the FBI.

Which still isn't the point. Had he been a Trump loyalist, he could have made all these mistakes and Trump would have tried to back him up and pretend it was all "fake news".

Come on, look at the reality here.

This is awesome. I hadn't heard about any letter. This explains everything and it clears Trump of any wrongdoing. Thanks so much.

Read Deputy Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein's letter revealing the perceived damage Come brought on to the FBI. Excerpts from former AG's.
Subject: Restoring Public Confidence in the FBI

You are way, way behind the curve. It has become public knowledge that Trump directed Rosenstein to give him a cover reason to fire Comey.

Trump did not fire Comey because of the letters. The letters were written at Trump's direction.

Read Deputy Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein's letter revealing the perceived damage Come brought on to the FBI. Excerpts from former AG's.
Subject: Restoring Public Confidence in the FBI

You are way, way behind the curve. It has become public knowledge that Trump directed Rosenstein to give him a cover reason to fire Comey.

Trump did not fire Comey because of the letters. The letters were written at Trump's direction.
That may be so, but until I see a link, I won't take it as gospel.

Keep in mind regardless why the letter was originated, it contains many statements from former Attorney Generals and Deputy Attorney Generals that give excellent reasons why Comey had taken the FBI in the wrong direction and extended in his own private powers in the Bureau which was not appropriate.

Forum List

Back