The "Redskins" crap is just that, Liberal Crap!!

Author L. Frank Baum, best known for his classic The Wizard of Oz, celebrated the death of Sitting Bull and the massacre at Wounded Knee with a pair of editorials calling for the extermination of all remaining Native Americans. In one of the December 1890 pieces, Baum wrote, "With his fall the nobility of the Redskin is extinguished, and what few are left are a pack of whining curs who lick the hand that smites them."

At around the same time the word "redskin" was becoming a word with negative connotations, other Native American words and images were becoming increasingly popular symbols for sports teams. In an article for the North Dakota Law Review, J. Gordon Hylton found that team owners frequently began using words with indigenous connections in the 1850s. "Native American names appear to have been chosen to emphasize the 'Americanness' of the team and its patriotic character," writes Hylton, without noting that at the same time popular culture was relegating Native Americans to the foreign and the extreme.

Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR

Not throughout US history; from Phips to Baum, some used the term to call for genocide.

Author L. Frank Baum, best known for his classic The Wizard of Oz, celebrated the death of Sitting Bull and the massacre at Wounded Knee with a pair of editorials calling for the extermination of all remaining Native Americans. In one of the December 1890 pieces, Baum wrote, "With his fall the nobility of the Redskin is extinguished, and what few are left are a pack of whining curs who lick the hand that smites them."

At around the same time the word "redskin" was becoming a word with negative connotations, other Native American words and images were becoming increasingly popular symbols for sports teams. In an article for the North Dakota Law Review, J. Gordon Hylton found that team owners frequently began using words with indigenous connections in the 1850s. "Native American names appear to have been chosen to emphasize the 'Americanness' of the team and its patriotic character," writes Hylton, without noting that at the same time popular culture was relegating Native Americans to the foreign and the extreme.

Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR

Not throughout US history; from Phips to Baum, some used the term to call for genocide.

That is not how the team got its name please try again and this time use something relevant.

And Baum was not the first to coin the name "redskin". It came a couple of centuries earlier.

Yes, used by too many, from Phips (1700s) to Baum (1900s), as a call for genocide. Still, Snyder appealed, if he prevails, the trademark must be registered. I hoped he would choose to rename the team, still make more hundreds of millions on new merchandise. But, there is no such thing as bad publicity, or so Snyder may believe.

Many Native Americans don't think so. They know the origin of the Washington Redskins' name is rooted in racism.

REALLY?

Oklahoma; okla (meaning red) and humma (meaning people) = red people or Redskins.

Are we going to change the name of this State?

White liberals are the only ones who care about the Redskins name.
They work tirelessly to convince native Americans and anyone who will listen that they should be outraged and offended.

75% or more say leave the name alone. It's a good thing we have liberals to tell the rest of us when we should be outraged.

I bought two Redskin t-shirts. I will wear them until they fall off of me. If the Redskins end up changing their name, I will never watch another NFL game again. But I will still wear the t-shirts.

What about all the other teams with similar names?

A Canadian team called The Eskimos. Racist?
Vikings? They never wore horned hats so the logo is stereotypical
Angels? Too religious for atheists?

Where does this ignorance stop?

eskimo, Vikings and angels aren't derogatory terms.

would you want to see a team called the staten island wops? or the Brooklyn kikes?

meh.. maybe you would. but i'd like to think you wouldn't. those words are more analogous. and not acknowledging that is what is ignorant. but please ... tell native americans how they should enjoy being referred to that way.

Actually some people think eskimo is offensive. Some Inuit consider the word to mean "raw meat eaters" and a slight created by outsiders/other Native Americans to criticize their eating habits.

Eskimo (or Esquimaux in French) is a term for the indigenous peoples who have traditionally inhabited the northern circumpolar region from eastern Siberia (Russia), across Alaska (United States), Canada, and Greenland.[1][2][3]

The term "Eskimo" is used, particularly in Alaska, to include both Yupik and Iñupiat.[1] In Canada and Greenland, the term "Eskimo" has fallen out of favor as it is considered by some to be pejorative and has been widely replaced by the term "Inuit," "Alaska Natives," or other terms. Alaska Natives refers to all indigenous peoples of Alaska, including indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast and the Dene.

While the term "Eskimo" is sometimes considered offensive,[4][5] it is not, in its linguistic origins, a fundamentally offensive word.[6] Alternate terms for American Eskimos, such as Inuit–Yupik, have been proposed,[7] but none have come into widespread acceptance within the United States. Two main groups have historically been referred to as Eskimos by outsiders: the Yupik and Inuit. A third group, the Aleut, is closely related.

The two main peoples known as "Eskimo" are the Inuit of northern Alaska, Canada, and Greenland and the Yupik of Central Alaska and Siberia. The Yupik comprise speakers of four distinct Yupik languages: one used in the Russian Far East and the others among people of Western Alaska, Southcentral Alaska and along the Gulf of Alaska coast.
Eskimo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eskimo - definition of Eskimo by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
The claim that Eskimo is offensive is based primarily on a popular but disputed etymology tracing its origin to an Abenaki word meaning "eaters of raw meat." Though modern linguists speculate that the term actually derives from a Montagnais word referring to the manner of lacing a snowshoe, the matter remains undecided, and meanwhile many English speakers have learned to perceive Eskimo as a derogatory term invented by unfriendly outsiders in scornful reference to their neighbors' unsophisticated eating habits. See Usage Note at Inuit.

Last edited:
Wow, another thread on America's greatest football team, the Washington Redskins. [MENTION=20836]westhall[/MENTION] My favorite is the Washington ******* thread.

Last edited:
An 1871 novel spoke of "redskinned devils." The Rocky Mountain News in 1890 described a war on the whites by "every greasy redskin." The Denver Daily News the same year reported a rebellion by "the most treacherous red skins."

Daniel Snyder, who owns the Washington NFL franchise, has said the team name will never be changed because "what it means is tradition, what it means is competitiveness, what it means is honor." He said, "It is not meant to be derogatory."

Papers submitted in the case against the football team documented humiliating movie references by Hollywood icons Eddie Cantor, Bob Hope, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and others. In "Northwest Passage," Spencer Tracy, as a colonial explorer who hates Indians, importunes a subordinate to "Get a redskin for me, won't you?"

A Linguist's Alternative History of 'Redskin'

Just crap to someone who cares nothing about the history of this continent.

An 1871 novel spoke of "redskinned devils." The Rocky Mountain News in 1890 described a war on the whites by "every greasy redskin." The Denver Daily News the same year reported a rebellion by "the most treacherous red skins."

Daniel Snyder, who owns the Washington NFL franchise, has said the team name will never be changed because "what it means is tradition, what it means is competitiveness, what it means is honor." He said, "It is not meant to be derogatory."

Papers submitted in the case against the football team documented humiliating movie references by Hollywood icons Eddie Cantor, Bob Hope, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and others. In "Northwest Passage," Spencer Tracy, as a colonial explorer who hates Indians, importunes a subordinate to "Get a redskin for me, won't you?"

Such Drama-----TODAY the word Redskins means an NFL football team.
Evolve with the rest of us, Peach.

Such Drama-----TODAY the word Redskins means an NFL football team.
Evolve with the rest of us, Peach.

I love the United State of America enough to have learned the history of this nation; obviously, you 'evolved' beyond love of country:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Santayana

Of course, the name is offensive to enough people that the team ought to change it out of a sense of decency. If I owned the team, I would make the change. I've no interest in purposefully offending a group of people. I'm decent that way.

Of course, the name is offensive to enough people that the team ought to change it out of a sense of decency. If I owned the team, I would make the change. I've no interest in purposefully offending a group of people. I'm decent that way.

Snyder knows this is free publicity, he wins no matter how the appeals court rules. FSU played it smart, invested in the Seminole Nation in South Florida. Mutual respect between the Nation, and FSU now. Hard to imagine a wiser investment.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back