The "Redskins" crap is just that, Liberal Crap!!

It's the only way they can "win" a debate.

They attempt to set the parameters, frame the discussion and define (or RE define) the terms.

That way, if everything is continuously variable, they're never "wrong".

When they get cornered, they can just re define the terms and shift the parameters....and call people "racist". :doubt:

Who is "they"?

You...For instance.

That description above is a perfect fit.

I wonder if you know my position on the use of the name "Redskins" by the NFL team? If not....can you support your claim?

I wonder if you can point to me ever calling another person a racist? If not....you have failed to support your claim.

Finally....what takes place here does not normally qualify as a "debate". We argue. Big difference. Some consistently argue from a position backed by facts, logic and common sense. Some do not.

Finally....what takes place here does not normally qualify as a "debate". We argue. Big difference.

I know. People who "debate" have to remain honest and use facts to support their position.

Some consistently argue from a position backed by facts, logic and common sense. Some do not.

..and some are just agitators playing word games.

Don't want to discuss my position on the "Redskins" issue? Don't want to prove that I ever called anyone a racist to avoid a "debate"? Want to retract anything you said earlier?

Finally....what takes place here does not normally qualify as a "debate". We argue. Big difference.

I know. People who "debate" have to remain honest and use facts to support their position.

Some consistently argue from a position backed by facts, logic and common sense. Some do not.

Don't want to discuss my position on the "Redskins" issue? Don't want to prove that I ever called anyone a racist to avoid a "debate"? Want to retract anything you said earlier?

Nope.
I've been down this road with you before.
You're dishonest.

Nope.
I've been down this road with you before.
You're dishonest.

You cannot prove that either. Any more claims you want to make?

I'm a liberal. I think the team ought to be free to use whatever name they want.

So...this is not liberal crap.

Try again.

BALONEY !!!!

It is absolutely liberal crap !! You may not care but the ones who are upset are liberals PERIOD !!!

Some are. Some are Native Americans. You are reacting to people who are concerned with how others are treated.....and whether or not others are offended. Not with the fact that those people are liberal.

Being liberal does not compel one to be upset about anything.

Some Native Americans are offended, but don't try to pretend that the bulk of Americans that are offended are not liberals, of course they are, conservatives and moderates are not going to be caring enough about this issue to be pushing for a change.
You guys own this issue.

For instance, recently 50 Senators signed a letter sent to the NFL pushing for a name change. Every single Senator was a Dim.

Last edited:
I'm a liberal. I think the team ought to be free to use whatever name they want.

So...this is not liberal crap.

Try again.

BALONEY !!!!

It is absolutely liberal crap !! You may not care but the ones who are upset are liberals PERIOD !!!

Nonsense.

You have no evidence of that.

This is solely about a private entity acting on its own concerning its image in the context of public relations, having nothing to do with ‘liberals.’

Oh fucking pleeeeeze ! Liberals are the ones pissing and moaning about this, don't fucking try and pretend it's anything different.

BALONEY !!!!

Nonsense.

This is solely about a private entity acting on its own concerning its image in the context of public relations, having nothing to do with ‘liberals.’

Oh fucking pleeeeeze ! Liberals are the ones pissing and moaning about this, don't fucking try and pretend it's anything different.

You are conflating.

Yes....conservatives have come out strongly in favor of using the name in spite of the fact that it offends a large group of people.

And yes.....in general....liberals do not support the use of names that offend a large group of people.

Being reasonable.....I would be pleased if the NFL decided that using a name that offends a large group of people would reflect negatively on the organization....and would opt to make the change.

However....I know that most people don't run a round rooting for the Redskins as a means of offending Native Americans. It is, therefore, a very nuanced issue.

That being the case, I am confident that liberals, in general, will approach the matter thoughtfully. As I am doing.

The word is considered a racial slur. It can be used in that context...and often is. But not necessarily so. The team has decided to stay with it....and that is, in my opinion, perfectly within their rights. They could take the high road, though.

Nonsense.

You are conflating.

Yes....conservatives have come out strongly in favor of using the name in spite of the fact that it offends a large group of people.

And yes.....in general....liberals do not support the use of names that offend a large group of people.

Being reasonable.....I would be pleased if the NFL decided that using a name that offends a large group of people would reflect negatively on the organization....and would opt to make the change.

However....I know that most people don't run a round rooting for the Redskins as a means of offending Native Americans. It is, therefore, a very nuanced issue.

That being the case, I am confident that liberals, in general, will approach the matter thoughtfully. As I am doing.

The word is considered a racial slur. It can be used in that context...and often is. But not necessarily so. The team has decided to stay with it....and that is, in my opinion, perfectly within their rights. They could take the high road, though.

Retired Native American Chief Would Be Offended If Redskins Did Change Name

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) - Days ago, ten members of Congress sent letters to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, and the team’s stadium naming rights holder FedEx, along with the league’s 31 other franchises, urging them to have ‘Redskins’ changed due to the name’s offensive nature.

In response, the longtime chief of a major Virginia-based tribe went on the record to say he’d actually be offended if the team DID change the name.

Retired Native American Chief Would Be Offended If Redskins Did Change Name « CBS DC

---------------------------------------

I guess this is where I’m supposed to fall in line and do what every other American sports writer is doing. I’m supposed to swear I won’t ever write the words “Washington Redskins” anymore because it’s racist and offensive and a slap in the face to all Native Americans who ever lived. Maybe it is.

I just don’t quite know how to tell my father-in-law, a Blackfeet Indian. He owns a steak restaurant on the reservation near Browning, Mont. He has a hard time seeing the slap-in-the-face part.

“The whole issue is so silly to me,” says Bob Burns, my wife’s father and a bundle holder in the Blackfeet tribe. “The name just doesn’t bother me much. It’s an issue that shouldn’t be an issue, not with all the problems we’ve got in this country.”

If Native Americans Aren't Offended by 'Redskins,' Why Are the Sports Media? | National Review Online

I also find it Ironic that congress spews all over the Hollywood types who promote movies where they call out ****** this and ****** that..... but wait, you have an NFL team called Redskins? Now we just can't have that. :cuckoo:

-Geaux

I also find it Ironic that congress spews all over the Hollywood types who promote movies where they call out ****** this and ****** that..... but wait, you have an NFL team called Redskins? Now we just can't have that. :cuckoo:

-Geaux

That's not related to the subject....but I recognize how upset it makes you.

-Geaux

Oh, but it has everything to do with the subject where I clearly pointed out the double standard

-Geaux

-Geaux

Oh, but it has everything to do with the subject where I clearly pointed out the double standard

-Geaux

No double standard. Not unless someone objects to using the term "Redskins" as part of the dialogue in a movie. And then you have to prove that the same person did not object to the use of the word "******" in a movie.

Now...if Harry Reid were to support naming an NFL team " The *******" or "The Spearchuckers" or "The Chinks"......you could accuse him of being a hypocrite.

Get it?

-Geaux

No double standard. Not unless someone objects to using the term "Redskins" as part of the dialogue in a movie. And then you have to prove that the same person did not object to the use of the word "******" in a movie.

Now...if Harry Reid were to support naming an NFL team " The *******" or "The Spearchuckers" or "The Chinks"......you could accuse him of being a hypocrite.

Get it?

So being called Redskin in your opinion is not on the same level of racism as being called ******? There's different levels of 'offensiveness'?

-Geaux

-Geaux

Get it?

So being called Redskin in your opinion is not on the same level of racism as being called ******? There's different levels of 'offensiveness'?

-Geaux

Of course there are different levels of offensiveness. To some people, being called one is the same as being called the other. A lot depends on the intent of the individual using the word. The intent behind the team name was not to be offensive, but it IS offensive. Being derisive about their being offended does not make it less so.

-Geaux

Get it?

-Geaux

You ought to avoid beginning posts with the word "so". What follows is almost always a misrepresentation of some kind.

I never said anything like that, did I?

Forum List

Back