The ruble higher now that before the war

Rust_Cohle

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2021
[Redacted]
6bshyr.jpg

Good job Joe, those sanctions really are working. Explain this one liberal economists, I thought Russia would be bankrupt

6bshyr.jpg

Good job Joe, those sanctions really are working. Explain this one liberal economists, I thought Russia would be bankrupt
Russia has been preparing for sanctions for years. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a stash of cash they're using to prop up their currency. We'll see if they can outlast the sanctions. I'm betting they can't.

When an economy slows, the velocity of money drops causing deflation. That chart is more proof Russia is in a major recession. There are fewer rubles & goods circulating causing a deflationary spiral.

When an economy slows, the velocity of money drops causing deflation. That chart is more proof Russia is in a major recession. There are fewer rubles & goods circulating causing a deflationary spiral.

That chart doesn't say anything about velocity of money.

Russia has been preparing for sanctions for years. It wouldn't surprise me if they had a stash of cash they're using to prop up their currency. We'll see if they can outlast the sanctions. I'm betting they can't.
They don’t have to outrun the sanctions. They just have to outrun the food supply. And they have a big head start. Between Russia, and Ukraine, they export 30 percent of the globally traded wheat, and substantial amounts of other grains too.
Many countries depend on the imports of those grains to survive; Egypt being a big one. But only one of many. So… When all these African countries start starving what do you think they’re gonna do to escape the starvation, and violence? The same thing they’ve been doing, only at an expedited rate; flood into Europe. Europe is going to be so busy dealing with the flood of migrants, and the growth of nationalist movements borne of the migrant crises, that they won’t have the time, money, or resources to deal with anything Russia is doing.

The economy of Russia is better than ever. 😂🤣 :laughing0301:

Sorry. I couldn’t even type that with a straight face.

The Russian economy consists of more than the value of a ruble (especially since it is a unit of currency which is subject to manipulation). Russia is not new to propaganda. However other components of the Russian economy need to also be considered. To that end, a fairly recent piece:

I want Putin dead. I have also expressed my boundless disgust for our old racist senile President, Brandon. So when I see that article and conclude that there does exist evidence that Brandon’s use of “sanctions” has a prospect for working, I confess that I am surprised. Fairness and objectivity demand that I acknowledge a good example of Brandon not being a total douchebag. I give him some props and harbor some hopes for the sanctions.

• The S&P Global purchasing managers’ index (PMI) for Russia, published on Friday, dropped from 48.6 in February to 44.1 in March.
  • Goldman Sachs has forecast a 10% contraction in Russian GDP this year, while the Institute for International Finance think tank has projected a more damaging 15% plunge.
[snip]

“Industry will be hit by supply disruptions and higher inflation will weigh on households’ real incomes and dampen consumer spending. We expect the war to shave 1.0-1.5%-pts off growth in CEE this year.”

Forum List

Back