The Swinging Sixtees & Motown

This was a great time for R&B. There were three major record labels: Motown obviously, but also Stax and Chess Records. Now, among notable musicians of that era are:
James Jamerson of Motown
Steve "The Colonel" Cropper and Donald "Duck" Dunn of Stax
Louis Satterfield and Maurice White of Chess.

Now, for the grand prize: Can anyone besides me name the 1970s R&B and Funk supergroup that was founded by Maurice White and also what artists Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn worked with during the 60s AND 70s?

Just to balance things up I intended to put up three US female singers from the early 1960s but apart from Aretha Franklin couldn't think of any,
There was however plenty of Motown female groups -

The Ronettes - Be My Baby

The Supremes - Stop In The Name Of Love

Shangri Las - Past Present And Future

How weird..Just as I tapped in 'The Ronettes' I got a pop up saying Phil Spector is dead from Covid 19, especially as I was talking about Covid before. - A very odd coincidence!

The Ronettes were a very cute girl group, but I do not recall them recording for Motown. They first signed with Colpix records in 1961, then they moved to Phil Spector's Philles reords in 1963. I heard about Phil Spectres passing from a relative who worked for Motown back in the early 60's.

My favorite Motown girl group was Martha and the Vandellas.

The Marvelettes were very popular as well.

And as far as girl groups, the Shirelles put out lots of hits during the 50's and 60's

Any of you ever go to a street dance,I did aout 40 years ago,lol.

This was a great time for R&B. There were three major record labels: Motown obviously, but also Stax and Chess Records. Now, among notable musicians of that era are:
James Jamerson of Motown

Now, for the grand prize: Can anyone besides me name the 1970s R&B and Funk supergroup that was founded by Maurice White and also what artists Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn worked with during the 60s AND 70s?

Is this one?

James Jamerson of Motown

Is this one?

BOOM!!!!! EWF was founded as "The Salty Peppers" in 1969 when Maurice left the Ramsey Lewis Trio.

James Jamerson of Motown

Is this one?

BOOM!!!!! EWF was founded as "The Salty Peppers" in 1969 when Maurice left the Ramsey Lewis Trio.

I watched EWF in a club in Fort Laudedale in the mid 70s,good show.

James Jamerson of Motown

Is this one?

I watched EWF in a club in Fort Laudedale in the mid 70s,good show.

Saw them myself in Buffalo in 2002. And they're still touring.

The Beatles wrote this time served classic but did not record the original version.
Maybe because it sounded a lot different from anything they'd done prior.
They gave it to Marmalade to record as a single and reached No,1 in the UK in 69.
Just shows what great songwriters they were when a very average band could reach No1 with one of their cast-offs.

Marmalade - Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

New Topics

Forum List

Back