The Swinging Sixtees & Motown

Oz and the Orchestra

Platinum Member
May 25, 2020
Lake District England
The Beatles - Twist And Shout

Twinkle - Terry

This single was banned by both the BBC & ITV in the UK. On the grounds, the song is in 'bad taste' and encourages suicide!

The Shangri Las - Leader of The Pack

A very similar song to the above both released in1964. This though not banned in the US no doubt protected by the 1st amendment.

Otis Redding - These Arms Of Mine

1610629777107.png
1610629852004.png
1610629878298.png

Just to balance things up I intended to put up three US female singers from the early 1960s but apart from Aretha Franklin couldn't think of any,
There was however plenty of Motown female groups -

The Ronettes - Be My Baby

The Supremes - Stop In The Name Of Love

Shangri Las - Past Present And Future

How weird..Just as I tapped in 'The Ronettes' I got a pop up saying Phil Spector is dead from Covid 19, especially as I was talking about Covid before. - A very odd coincidence!

Just to balance things up I intended to put up three US female singers from the early 1960s but apart from Aretha Franklin couldn't think of any,

How weird..Just as I tapped in 'The Ronettes' I got a pop up saying Phil Spector is dead from Covid 19, especially as I was talking about Covid before. - A very odd coincidence!

The Ronettes were a very cute girl group, but I do not recall them recording for Motown. They first signed with Colpix records in 1961, then they moved to Phil Spector's Philles reords in 1963. I heard about Phil Spectres passing from a relative who worked for Motown back in the early 60's.

My favorite Motown girl group was Martha and the Vandellas.

The Marvelettes were very popular as well.

And as far as girl groups, the Shirelles put out lots of hits during the 50's and 60's

Last edited:

The Ronettes were a very cute girl group, but I do not recall them recording for Motown. They first signed with Colpix records in 1961, then they moved to Phil Spector's Philles reords in 1963. I heard about Phil Spectres passing from a relative who worked for Motown back in the early 60's.

My favorite Motown girl group was Martha and the Vandellas.

The Marvelettes were very popular as well.

And as far as girl groups, the Shirelles put out lots of hits during the 50's and 60's

Yes, you are right about the Ronettes.
As for Martha and the Vandellas and 'Dancing in the Street' I can remember that in the charts,

Can't remember the Marvelettes or the Shirelles through the Shirelles do sound familiar. Some US hits may have never been released in the UK but will investigate.

As for Martha and the Vandellas and 'Dancing in the Street' I can remember that in the charts,

Can't remember the Marvelettes or the Shirelles through the Shirelles do sound familiar. Some US hits may have never been released in the UK but will investigate.
[/QUOTE]

The Marvelettes recorded the original version of "Please Mr. Postman", and it reached #1 on the Billboard 100 chart in 1961.
It was the first Motown song to ever reach #1
The Beatles did a cover of the same song on their "Second Album" in 1963, I believe.

The Marvelettes recorded the original version of "Please Mr. Postman", and it reached #1 on the Billboard 100 chart in 1961.
The Beatles did a cover of the same song on their "Second Album" in 1963, I believe.
[/QUOTE]
Yea I'm aware of the Beatles version and thought they wrote it but having said that I know they didn't write all their recordings. I don't think they wrote Twist and Shout for example.
Well, you learn something new...

Yea I'm aware of the Beatles version and thought they wrote it but having said that I know they didn't write all their recordings. I don't think they wrote Twist and Shout for example.
Well, you learn something new...
[/QUOTE]

Twist and Shout has an interesting history. Twist and Shout" was written in 1961 by two guys named Phil Medley and Bert Burns. It was originally recorded by a group called the Top Notes, but did not become a hit on the charts until it was redone by the Isley Brothers in 1962.
The Beatles version came after.

Forum List

Back