The Term 'Xian'

Picaro

Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
Texas
It's come to my attention over on another board, and as well as here occasionally, that the word bothers some people, as they think it is an abbreviation of 'Christian', and a sort of vague insult as well. It is actually a form of modern Chinese shorthand for all people and religions who believe in life after death and resurrections and the like, and is not at all an insult or slur.

This doesn't mean everybody who uses the term knows its origin and Asian usage. This includes a lot of modern dictionary and Encyclopedia interns as well, as I'm finding out.

Just a minor point about something some troll on another board got all butthurt over, having nothing else to do.

It's come to my attention over on another board, and as well as here occasionally, that the word bothers some people, as they think it is an abbreviation of 'Christian', and a sort of vague insult as well. It is actually a form of modern Chinese shorthand for all people and religions who believe in life after death and resurrections and the like, and is not at all an insult or slur.

This doesn't mean everybody who uses the term knows its origin and Asian usage. This includes a lot of modern dictionary and Encyclopedia interns as well, as I'm finding out.

Just a minor point about something some troll on another board got all butthurt over, having nothing else to do.

USMB: Get your thick skin on, cupcake.

USMB: Get your thick skin on, cupcake.

Wasn't complaining, just adding a little enlightment for your dark doorstep there. Nobody here got whiney about use of the word, just some anal retentives elsewhere.

I, for one, have an elephant hide covered with plate mail.

Forum List

Back