The Top 5 Regrets of The Dying

eternaltrue

I have the magic beans
Oct 29, 2012
A palliative nurse recorded the most common regrets of the dying and put her findings into a book called ‘The Top Five Regrets of The Dying.’ It’s not surprising to see what made the list as they are all things that touch each of our lives as we struggle to pay attention to and make time for things that we truly love.

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.

3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

I do not have much longer to live. I have no regrets. I became all I could be. Perhaps you will be as fortunate.

I do not have much longer to live. I have no regrets. I became all I could be. Perhaps you will be as fortunate.

I don't think I will have regrets either, I'm very fortunate to generally be a happy person and I don't attach feelings or worth to objects

Great thread.

We regret many of our family have lived in different states because of the business.

We have been regrouping closer together in ID, CO, and UT the last two years. The oldest of us is 64 and the youngest two are one each.

So we have the time left to make up for those years lost. We hope.

Great thread.

We regret many of our family have lived in different states because of the business.

We have been regrouping closer together in ID, CO, and UT the last two years. The oldest of us is 64 and the youngest two are one each.

Communication has come so far it makes it so much easier to keep in touch, but even if you have a few good times together, and appreciate each other :)

Great thread.

For many years, my family was the kind that exemplified the old adage, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder.' We had issues. I guess maturity set in, and all that stuff seems to be gone. There was something that happened when my sister was dying recently that would have irreversibly split any other family. But we came through intact. I can't talk about it just yet because of legal considerations, but I will when it becomes possible.

I've seen this before. Some lady interviewed a bunch of people on their death bed and wrote a book about what they said. She said not one of them talked about things they they didn't have the opportunity to do. She said they all talked about things they didn't do during their life.

I think the top one was, "I wished I hadn't of spent so much time working and spent more personal time with my family".

Another one was, "I wish I was more like myself with others, instead of telling people what they wanted to hear".

Another one was, "I wish I hadn't of taken things so seriously and laughed more".

I think mine would be, "I don't want to die until I force a right-winger on this board to admit they were wrong".

Forum List

Back