The White House has been considering connecting the voting rights drive with the upcoming first anniversary of the Jan 6 riot

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
do it. it's inexcusable that the Senate has so far failed to pass voting rights, not to mention immigration reform and Build Back Better

“If we can get the congressional voting rights done, we should do it. … There’s nothing domestically more important than voting rights.” - Biden

• Banned
excerpts:

“The time is now. The urgency could not be more palpable than it is now,” said Rev. Al Sharpton, president of the National Action Network and a Biden confidant, who, like others, argued that voting rights should have been the administration’s top priority in the wake of the moves by nearly 20 Republican-led legislatures to tighten state election laws.

“An inaction at this point would lead to an inaction of Black voters. People are saying, ‘If they don’t do this, I’m not voting,’” the civil rights leader said. “People are saying they feel betrayed.”

Echoing the sentiment of a growing number of Democrats who feel that Biden has simply not placed the defense of voting rights and elections at the center of his presidency, Sharpton said activists are now targeting Martin Luther King Jr. Day in mid-January as an unofficial deadline for at least showing some real progress on voting rights. He and other activists plan to ramp up their criticisms of Democrats — with potential threats to refrain from campaigning ahead of the midterms — if action is not taken.

“I don't want to become too dramatic,” said Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), “but voting rights may be the only thing we have to at least halt the trek away from democracy.”

But some of it is owed to strategic differences within the ranks. There has been some divide within the White House as to how to mark the anniversary of the Jan. 6 insurrection. Some aides believe that it deserves a somber but significant remembrance, out of tribute to those who died but also as a full-throated condemnation of the assault on democracy at the Capitol.

“I don't want it to be constrained by trying to do it before the end of the year. I don't know that you have to do it before the end of the year,” Clyburn, the third-ranking Democrat in the House and a close Biden ally, said in an interview. “I just want us to get a bill done that will help preserve this democracy because if we don't, I think we've lost this democracy.”

As pressure ramps up, a group of Senate Democrats have been working on possible rule changes to the chamber that could, potentially, pacify the party’s more centrist members. Those senators — Angus King (I-Maine), Tim Kaine (D-Va.) and Jon Tester (D-Mont.) — met with Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer on Wednesday to discuss Senate rule reforms.

“The longer we wait the more mischief the states are performing,” said King.

“I want to see Biden start running people in and out of the White House,” said Rep. Anthony Brown (D-Md.). “I want to start by seeing the president using the full leverage of his office. It's a crisis in democracy and the president needs to address it.”

We already have voting rights.

This "voting rights act" is a complete ruse with a downright Orwellian name. It isn't about securing voting rights for American citizens , but extending the ability to vote to non citizens. This, coupled with the Administration encouraging the influx of millions of illegal aliens is simply a strategy for getting elected with the ultimate goal of establishing one party rule.

The recipe should be awfully easy to follow for anybody with a brain. Usher in millions of third worlders, give them free stuff, allow them to vote and voila'.

The BBB and the voting rights bill are toast...both will not happen in their current form....no one wants the feds to run our elections....and no one wants more inflation....

We already have voting rights.

This "voting rights act" is a complete ruse with a downright Orwellian name. It isn't about securing voting rights for American citizens , but extending the ability to vote to non citizens. This, coupled with the Administration encouraging the influx of millions of illegal aliens is simply a strategy for getting elected with the ultimate goal of establishing one party rule.

The recipe should be awfully easy to follow for anybody with a brain. Usher in millions of third worlders, give them free stuff, allow them to vote and voila'.
Not to a great extent. You probably do. They haven't shut down your polling place and moved it a couple of miles out of the city. You probably have not been part of a wholesale purge. They probably have not shut down early voting on days you usually vote, because too many of the wrong people vote that day. Have they redrawn the lines of the districts around you creating segmented minorities that will have no effect upon the whole or possibly lead to someone from the other party having a chinaman's chance in hell of being elected. Have they tried to cut out your method of voting, claiming technology does not exist to keep it fair? Have all the people of your party been removed from your local election commission, by the state?
It is supposed to be a right, not a priviledge of the people that consider themselves the elite.

Forum List

Back