There seems to be a shortage of Norovirus-protective masks

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I stopped in at the Walmart pharmacy to day to see if they had any of those white masks that can prevent you from catching the dreaded norovirus disease. They were all sold out. So I checked the paint department to look at the protective masks they had. Most of them were pretty crappy, only meant for dust or paint vapors.

I then went to the Do-It Center, which is like a big hardware store, and found these: They're NIOSH N95-compliant masks that would work in a pinch, although not all N95 masks are guaranteed to block viral or biological agents...

masks1.jpg

Of course in the event of an actual full-scale epidemic, I'd probably break out these. They offer full protection from chemical, biological, or nuclear agents..

masks2.jpg

The one on the left is a full-faced US military MSA chemical/biological/nuclear mask...

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

I also have for my wife a standard M40-type mask that takes the 40mm NATO filters...

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

And a few US military C2A1 filters in the unopened cans...

masks7.jpg

And the protective hood, in case things really get jiggy...

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

I found these at some garage sales and have had them for several years. Hope it doesn't come to where I need to use them but like they say in the Boy Scouts, "Be prepared."

Edited to add: My wife just came in here to inform me that the first case of Corona Virus has shown up in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin confirms 1st case of new virus from China

Last edited:
Sooo, your wife rates the lesser one... ;)
Have you informed her yet? :)

I've been focusing on food & water prep (and toilet paper).

Any kind of a panic will wipe the store shelves bare in hours (just like you are seeing with N95 masks). Bleach already seems in short supply.

All it takes is a panic and boom...it's too late.

I stopped in at the Walmart pharmacy to day to see if they had any of those white masks that can prevent you from catching the dreaded norovirus disease. They were all sold out. So I checked the paint department to look at the protective masks they had. Most of them were pretty crappy, only meant for dust or paint vapors.

I then went to the Do-It Center, which is like a big hardware store, and found these: They're NIOSH N95-compliant masks that would work in a pinch, although not all N95 masks are guaranteed to block viral or biological agents...

masks1.jpg

Of course in the event of an actual full-scale epidemic, I'd probably break out these. They offer full protection from chemical, biological, or nuclear agents..

masks2.jpg

The one on the left is a full-faced US military MSA chemical/biological/nuclear mask...

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

I also have for my wife a standard M40-type mask that takes the 40mm NATO filters...

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

masks7.jpg

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

I found these at some garage sales and have had them for several years. Hope it doesn't come to where I need to use them but like they say in the Boy Scouts, "Be prepared."

Edited to add: My wife just came in here to inform me that the first case of Corona Virus has shown up in Wisconsin.

I can see you now shopping at Walmart in these mask... lol

I know, I know the alternative is way worse, but just sayin... :08621:

masks1.jpg

masks2.jpg

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

masks7.jpg

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

I always wanted to stroll into a Walmart wearing a white protective suit with a hood, a mask, and waving a a geiger counter back and forth. Just to see how people reacted.

But I would never really do something like that. :laughing0301:

masks1.jpg

masks2.jpg

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

masks7.jpg

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

I always wanted to stroll into a Walmart wearing a white protective suit with a hood, a mask, and waving a a geiger counter back and forth. Just to see how people reacted.

That would garner some looks for sure.. lol comedy gold.

masks1.jpg

masks2.jpg

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

masks7.jpg

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

Dont give me any ideas lol

masks1.jpg

masks2.jpg

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

masks7.jpg

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

That would garner some looks for sure.. lol comedy gold.

Yeah. And probably like the guy who showed up at that Walmart in Missouri, dressed in full combat gear and carrying and AR, I'd probably get arrested.

It just goes to show...

... how vulnerable to Chinese bio-logical warfare...

... we are!

...or more likely, how vulnerable they are to their own biological warfare. It wouldn't be the first they accidentally infected themselves.

masks1.jpg

masks2.jpg

masks3.jpg

masks4.jpg

masks5.jpg

masks6.jpg

masks7.jpg

masks8.jpg

masks9.jpg

None of those things are effective. Surgical masks are as ineffective against viral infection as clear glass is to daylight.
To even see a virus requires an election microscope as optical microscopes simply aren't powerful enough.
Attempting to block a virus with a surgical mask is like trying to shift flour with a picket fence.

The thing that worries me about thepis crap are the places our government is choosing to use as quarantine sites for aircraft returning from China. The first was March AFB which is now just a reserve base often used for public airshow. March is in near proximity to the greater los angeles metro area.
This morning I heard that they are now landing and quarantining folks returning from China at Travis AFB which is smack dab in the middle between the greater Sacramento area and the greater San Francisco bay area.
No I ask you are these people just plain nuts or stupid or do they have a plan that they aren't telling us about to rid this nation of crazy whacked out Californians. I'm just sayin. They have other much more remote locations available.
Like how about Homey Airport or Groom Lake aka area 51? It's very remote and has very long runways available.
There are better choices than those adjacent and in close proximity to major metropolitan areas.

Forum List

Back