This little propane filler adapter has been a Godsend...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
We use Mr Heater propane heaters as back up and reserve heat on these sub zero nights. We had probably 20 one pound cylinders in reserve, but they go fast in this extended cold. Everyone is out of one pounders. Hell...when I hit Tractor Supply they were telling another fella "we are out off everything heat related".

But Wal-Mart had one of these doodads left. Didn't know if it would work, but I grabbed it...and a 20 gallon filled propane tank. I had no idea these things existed...

...and it works.

Here's the trick.

The one pound cylinders need to be very cold...like freezer cold...and the 20 pound cylinder should be room temperature. I had a bunch of empties to use as smelting crucibles. Just left them outside.

Weighed them empty and full.

Two minutes gave me 11oz...three minutes was 14oz...that was the best refill I got.

20210215_142911.jpg

20210215_142956.jpg

20210215_143158.jpg

This was the first one...went a minute and 45 seconds and got 10oz fill.

Really easy and worked great.

Only thing is...you must remember to close the valve on the twenty pounder BEFORE removing the one pounder.

As usual...I'm not an expert...this post is opinion, not instructional. Read and follow all manufacturers direction and use your own judgement.

I also suspect many variables dictate how quickly the refilling process progresses.

I had a bunch of empties to use as smelting crucibles.
You're cooking drugs and leaving honest folks out in the cold.
:rolleyes:

You are a dipshit.
Propane fittings cost upwards of $50, and some drug-addled piece of shit cop on duty confiscates them as drug paraphernalia the minute you turn your back or pick up a wrench to tighten a nut--runs back to the store on duty returns them for cash to pay for his off-duty lynch-mobbing.

We use Mr Heater propane heaters as back up and reserve heat on these sub zero nights. We had probably 20 one pound cylinders in reserve, but they go fast in this extended cold. Everyone is out of one pounders. Hell...when I hit Tractor Supply they were telling another fella "we are out off everything heat related".

But Wal-Mart had one of these doodads left. Didn't know if it would work, but I grabbed it...and a 20 gallon filled propane tank. I had no idea these things existed...

...and it works.

Here's the trick.

The one pound cylinders need to be very cold...like freezer cold...and the 20 pound cylinder should be room temperature. I had a bunch of empties to use as smelting crucibles. Just left them outside.

Two minutes gave me 11oz...three minutes was 14oz...that was the best refill I got.

View attachment 457767

View attachment 457768

View attachment 457769

Only thing is...you must remember to close the valve on the twenty pounder BEFORE removing the one pounder.

As usual...I'm not an expert...this post is opinion, not instructional. Read and follow all manufacturers direction and use your own judgement.

I also suspect many variables dictate how quickly the refilling process progresses.

I've been using those for years.
The price on those 1lb canisters is ridiculous,now I just Keep 10 of the 1lb canisters and refill as needed.

You are a dipshit.
Propane fittings cost upwards of $50, and some drug-addled piece of shit cop on duty confiscates them as drug paraphernalia the minute you turn your back or pick up a wrench to tighten a nut--runs back to the store on duty returns them for cash to pay for his off-duty lynch-mobbing.

That ones $12.99.
Sounds like your dumbass is getting ripped off.

That ones $12.99.
No shit, and no public restrooms, don't even be caught in possession of the said fitting by a damned cop or it's straight to jail on a mental health warrant.

Why?
What does a brass fitting have to do with drugs?
It's not like that fitting does anything that a propane tank by itself can't do.
If your not on drugs maybe you should start....

My friend used to refill them bring them on trips and I gave him shit about it.
Says right on the label that it is a federal penalty of 5 years and 500,000 fine for transporting refilled throwaway cylinders. Dumbass would even label them with a sharpie.
According to federal law, it has always been ILLEGAL to refill the disposable cylinders. The reason that it is illegal, is that after refilling, it is impossible to guarentee against leakage, due to the nature of their relief valves. It is - hovever legal - to refill 1 lb refillable bottles.Sep 23, 2003

Last edited:
That ones $12.99.
No shit, and no public restrooms, don't even be caught in possession of the said fitting by a damned cop or it's straight to jail on a mental health warrant.
you have a lot of experience with mental health warrants dont you???

Says right on the label that it is a federal penalty of 5 years and 500,000 fine for transporting refilled throwaway cylinders. Dumbass would even label them with a sharpie.
According to federal law, it has always been ILLEGAL to refill the disposable cylinders. The reason that it is illegal, is that after refilling, it is impossible to guarentee against leakage, due to the nature of their relief valves. It is - hovever legal - to refill 1 lb refillable bottles.Sep 23, 2003

It's pretty obvious when they leak.
You just have to fiddle with the release valve when they leak.

Don't know if anyone has ever been prosecuted, but that fine is slightly excessive. Just don't be like my friend and mark them refilled.

Don't know if anyone has ever been prosecuted, but that fine is slightly excessive. Just don't be like my friend and mark them refilled.

Of course.

...and it works.

Here's the trick.

View attachment 457767

View attachment 457768

View attachment 457769

I've been using those for years.
The price on those 1lb canisters is ridiculous,now I just Keep 10 of the 1lb canisters and refill as needed.
Wish I had known...the wife uses these all the time. Figured the savings last night ... $1.30 vs $3.75.

Forum List

Back