This Sold for $9.3 Million?

Lemme guess ... You're not an artist, right.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Would you care to tell me what art classes you took. Or what medium you worked with?

Rocky Mountain College of Art
Art Institute of Colorado
FIT in New York City
New York Art and Design
Various and many symposiums through the years

I started where everyone starts - oils - but my first love is watercolor which I taught for years. I now sell my art in several galleries and just came back from a successful selling trip to the Caribbean where I sold every piece I took with me and took orders for more. I also sell in shops in other US cities.

That is not to say I'm a authority on Miro, or any other artist, but art is worth whatever the market will pay. Quit being a prig about and just deal already.

Care to share some samples? Or do we just take your word for it?

I'm crap at painting but there's hope yet for my masterplan of finding a rich moron to buy a totally shite painting.

I know, but thing is, one has to die first.... to become a legend and all that. Dead painters are worth more that living ones.

Shit - I wouldn't be able to spend the cash on loose women and disgusting videos.
I suppose I could ask for a necrophiliac club to attend my funeral.
The news coverage would probably make my artwork sell at stupid prices.

9140-lot-332-miro-sans-titre.jpg

You have got to be kidding me!!! :uhoh3: I've seen 6-year olds do better! :eusa_whistle:And, okay, the story does say that ALL THREE sold for the above amount. The one shown only went for 1.3M. Anyhow, shake your head at the story @ Southeby?s Sells Joan Miro Paintings for $9.3 Million - TIME

I only get angry, actually I'm freaking out, if taxpayers money is used to buy such shit for public museums or other official displays like government buildings etc.

If any Idiot is spilling out his own money for it, I am fine with that. More precisely, it brings a smile to my face because I admire a smart fraud applied to rich dumbasses.

why would spending money on art trouble you.

we should invest more in art and music.

Yeah and let's start with mine!

:D

Would you care to tell me what art classes you took. Or what medium you worked with?

Rocky Mountain College of Art
Art Institute of Colorado
FIT in New York City
New York Art and Design
Various and many symposiums through the years

I started where everyone starts - oils - but my first love is watercolor which I taught for years. I now sell my art in several galleries and just came back from a successful selling trip to the Caribbean where I sold every piece I took with me and took orders for more. I also sell in shops in other US cities.

That is not to say I'm a authority on Miro, or any other artist, but art is worth whatever the market will pay. Quit being a prig about and just deal already.

Care to share some samples? Or do we just take your word for it?

How many times have I written about anonymity on this board?

You really think I would share my website, my artwork or my identity HERE?

Dream on.

The point is, its foolish and self-defeating to base the worth of ar on one's own taste. what art is about.

the appreciation and valuation of art certainly. This Miro sold in 2012 for $36 Million.

peinture.jpg

This Rothko "Orange, Red and Yellow" sold for $87 million.

rothko-orange-red-yellow.jpeg

They say that provenance has a lot to do with value in Art. This Rothko was owned by Rockefeller. Also the Nouveau Riche ex-Soviet Oligarchy has driven up prices substantially. Like the Japanese did in the 80's.

Several months ago I found myself in need of a hobby that wasn't too strenuous and for some reason I decided to try Watercolor. (I could barely draw a stick figure, absolute zero art talent). But I figured hey, anybody can paint like Van Gogh, (or Miro).
My tastes however lean more to realism so I ended up studying a little about technique and so on. Now I do sketches that actually amaze myself and surprise those who have followed my progress. But this is beside the point. Along the way I looked into the history of art, renaissence to abstract to post modern. I've come to a certain appreciation for even Pollack who I used to ridicule profoundly. And now I love Picasso who I also used to ridicule as you do Miro. And Van Gogh, I couldn't even see his amazing talent. (And now know I couldn't create anything like his masterpieces in a million years.) I know where you're coming from. But if you're at all interested and have the time there is an art series on you tube that might give you a different slant on even the most abstract of art It's called "The Power of Art" and I think it's by the BBC. Try one or two episodes, if nothing else they are entertaining and educational. They cover the old Master's and guys' like Rothko.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldRIg3YTDA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldRIg3YTDA[/ame]

Last edited:
Some are completely cluless about art....they might just as well ... butt out :tongue::lol:

I met Andy Warhol at an art show once. I was just a kid at the time and I think he wanted to make sure the next generation had a true appreciation of art. So, he had me look at all the works there and then he asked me what I thought of it.

I said, "Some of it's good, but some of it's hack."

His reply - "That's right."

I was surprised that he agreed, this was an ART SHOW, everything was considered fabulous and wonderful, right?

Mr. Warhol proceeded to lecture me, and everyone that was gathered 'round, on how a great deal of "art" isn't. Much of what sells is truly hack, it's the "artist" having a gift for bullshit rather than a talent for painting.

He ended the little speech with a sentence I'll never forget, "I can sell a bucket of piss for a million dollars."

I didn't know exactly what he meant by that, I thought he was speaking figuratively.

Google: Andy Warhol piss art.

He sold buckets of someone else's piss for millions. Wow.

Several months ago I found myself in need of a hobby that wasn't too strenuous and for some reason I decided to try Watercolor. (I could barely draw a stick figure, absolute zero art talent). But I figured hey, anybody can paint like Van Gogh, (or Miro).

Well I think there is a little difference between Van Gogh and Miro.

I am a fan of Dali, bcause he was exceptional. Picasso was truly good, but became famous only with painted crap. Actually this is close to his own words.
It is definetely not art if a Chimp can do it. This is a painting by Congo, the Chimp.
Chimpanzee_congo_painting.jpg

For the art talibans: I know art when I see it, as I know music when I hear it. The rest is noise or room design to mellow white walls.
Before the usual crap comes: I started playing piano with six and took weekly lessons for ten years. My niece is playing in a symphonic orchestra. You would be surprised what I hear sometimes.

By the way, I collect bronze statues of Schinzel. A scholar of Breker I did not know before I stumbled upon a nude statue on some antique sales. Pictures do no justice to his work. Maybe you saw sometimes this bronze figures which are all over or at least in some details misproportioned, and therefore a bit disgusting.
Not so Schinzel. This statues seem to live. If you see one physically, you are in love with it, I guarantee. It is touching your soul. That is art.
zarte_gedanken400m.jpg

Not the worst I've ever seen.

That honor goes to a piece I saw the Guggenheim a few years back. It appeared to be a folded piece of sheetrock. At first I thought maybe the workers left it there, but no, it had a placard with the "artist's" name and date on it.

Not the worst I've ever seen.

That honor goes to a piece I saw the Guggenheim a few years back. It appeared to be a folded piece of sheetrock. At first I thought maybe the workers left it there, but no, it had a placard with the "artist's" name and date on it.
Maybe workers did leave it and some genius decided to capitalize on it?

What about a cool $58.3 million?

It's shit? I don't know ... Looks like a dog's breakfast? perhaps

If you have the money and you dig the painting, just buy it darling, buy it. You have my blessings and I am happy for ya' :D :up:

Jackson Pollock (1912-1956)
"Number 19" 1948

Nothing wrong with the price, the market has demanded more of a Miro.

Well I think there is a little difference between Van Gogh and Miro.

I am a fan of Dali, bcause he was exceptional. Picasso was truly good, but became famous only with painted crap. Actually this is close to his own words.
It is definetely not art if a Chimp can do it. This is a painting by Congo, the Chimp.
Chimpanzee_congo_painting.jpg

For the art talibans: I know art when I see it, as I know music when I hear it. The rest is noise or room design to mellow white walls.
Before the usual crap comes: I started playing piano with six and took weekly lessons for ten years. My niece is playing in a symphonic orchestra. You would be surprised what I hear sometimes.

By the way, I collect bronze statues of Schinzel. A scholar of Breker I did not know before I stumbled upon a nude statue on some antique sales. Pictures do no justice to his work. Maybe you saw sometimes this bronze figures which are all over or at least in some details misproportioned, and therefore a bit disgusting.
Not so Schinzel. This statues seem to live. If you see one physically, you are in love with it, I guarantee. It is touching your soul. That is art.
zarte_gedanken400m.jpg

That about sums up my feeling on art also Although I think what we see as art can change when we are exposed to good art crticism. Like I said in my post I never appreciated any Van Gogh until I studied a little bit. Miro? Well I don't know if I could ever "get" his work. Some multi-milion dollar paintings will probably in my mind always remain expensive wall decoration, as you suggest. I suspect though there are people who have the same reaction to a Miro as you do with a Schinzel bronze.

You have got to be kidding me!!! :uhoh3: I've seen 6-year olds do better! :eusa_whistle:And, okay, the story does say that ALL THREE sold for the above amount. The one shown only went for 1.3M. Anyhow, shake your head at the story @ Southeby?s Sells Joan Miro Paintings for $9.3 Million - TIME

This one of his sold for 37 million in June of 2012

I like both the chimp art and the Pollack more than these.
They have a better use of color, and there's some level of emotion there. The Miro works look soulless and sterile.

This one of his sold for 37 million in June of 2012

I like both the chimp art and the Pollack more than these.
They have a better use of color, and there's some level of emotion there. The Miro works look soulless and sterile.

Check out Kandinsky.

Forum List

Back