Threats to a free press on the rise

I disagree that our major media act as the arms of the DNC, and that should certainly be evident by how they critical they have been about Biden. Note, that was RARE when it came to the rightwing outlets criticizing Trump.

I would say that the rightwing outlets did indeed criticize Trump more than just rarely. I don't watch Fox News anymore, but I do recall that a few of their people did criticize Trump on occasion and they have progressive liberals in the air to give opposing views. Albeit the Lefties didn't get the same amount of time or treatment that the conservative person did. And there was and still is a sizable RW contingent in politics and the media that was anti-Trump and did offer their negative views of him on rightwing outlets.

I do not believe that the major media are colluding with the democrats. It may appear that way in many instances, but IMHO it's more likely that the ownership and management are themselves progressive liberals and their outlets project that, the same as certain RW media outlets do. In Biden's case, his poll numbers do not reflect well on his chances to win in 2024, hence the democratic voices opposing his candidacy, at least for now. And those LW analysts report that, as they should. In Trump's case, are the RW outlets reporting and commentating on the opposition to Trump's candidacy? I don't know, I don't spend the time anymore on the day-to-day back and forth. My mind is pretty much already made up: I will not vote for Trump in the Texas primary next year, but I will vote for whoever the GOP nominee is in the General, even if it's him. I won't be happy about it, but I'll do it.

Last edited:
So some of us are already planning newsletters in three dimensions. Where's your project?

Too old, too disabled to do anything but sit around on a PC for a few hours a day.

My project is sleeping, and trying to still take air in and out. . . . I am here to advise my kid if he needs anything.

Keep at in grasshopper. . . you are the future. :113:

I would say that the rightwing outlets did indeed criticize Trump more than just rarely. I don't watch Fox News anymore, but I do recall that a few of their people did criticize Trump on occasion and they have progressive liberals in the air to give opposing views. Albeit the Lefties didn't get the same amount of time or treatment that the conservative person did. And there was and still is a sizable RW contingent in politics and the media that was anti-Trump and did offer their negative views of him on rightwing outlets.

I do not believe that the major media are colluding with the democrats. It may appear that way in many instances, but IMHO it's more likely that the ownership and management are themselves progressive liberals and their outlets project that, the same as certain RW media outlets do. In Biden's case, his poll numbers do not reflect well on his chances to win in 2024, hence the democratic voices opposing his candidacy, at least for now. And those LW analysts report that, as they should. In Trump's case, are the RW outlets reporting and commentating on the opposition to Trump's candidacy? I don't know, I don't spend the time anymore on the day-to-day back and forth. My mind is pretty much already made up: I will not vote for Trump in the Texas primary next year, but I will vote for whoever the GOP nominee is in the General, even if it's him. I won't be happy about it, but I'll do it.
I think that often the major outlets aren’t consistently left or right. It depends on the issue or even the segment, for example WSJ is conservative in it’s editorial section, but more liberal in it’s news content.

I see the big issues as not in ideological bias but in the blurring between opinion and reporting, lack of any accountability, too many unnamed sources, no independent confirmation of claims, the use of inflammatory language to generate emotional reactions. Also…the fact that anyone can claim to be a journalist with no adherence to any standards or ethics.

In the US though, we have a media that is free of government interference though that has been chipped away at under both Obama and Trump.

In other countries though, journalists are being murdered, shut down, jailed and raided by governments for reporting.

That’s ok; you’re allowed to disagree. But I maintain it’s still what it is.

Maybe the DNC is using them for future purposes like when they find it necessary to pull the plug on Plugs. He is basically a national joke and worse.

There wasn’t much of a right wing media ever. And yet they did manage to attack Trump when it seemed appropriate.
There was for sometime and still is a huge rightwing media. Think about it. We are are no longer restricted to a few major sources. It’s exploded into thousands with varying degrees of accuracy, agendas, ideological or nationalistic biases. The crying over mainspring media’s unfair treatment of conservatives (which I often question) is a senseless remnant in today’s media world.

There was for sometime and still is a huge rightwing media. Think about it. We are are no longer restricted to a few major sources. It’s exploded into thousands with varying degrees of accuracy, agendas, ideological or nationalistic biases. The crying over mainspring media’s unfair treatment of conservatives (which I often question) is a senseless remnant in today’s media world.
There has never been a conservatively oriented news media of anywhere near the size and scope of the massive left wing propagandist main stream media. Libs tend to see any opposition as a massive right wing conspiracy.

Thankfully, there ARE now some conservatively oriented news media outlets such as Fox News and News Max plus some websites.

But most of the caterwauling about politically skewed news media comes from the libs who have benefited from their near monopoly for so long.

Attacks on journalists and their ability to report freely and independently have been increasing over the past few years along with an increasing trend towards authorita governance.

This article just caught my eye today, but there are many more examples.

Indian government raids BBC offices in wake of documentary critical of Modi

Gaurav Bhatia, a spokesman for Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, told reporters in a conference that the BBC “must work within India laws” and called the organization “corrupt” without offering specifics, instead listing a litany of perceived problems with its coverage.

“The BBC’s work has historically been tainted with its hatred for India,” he said. “Our constitution allows them to do unbiased journalism, but let me show you how they use journalism as a pretext to put forward their agenda.” He added that media outlets that “have a hidden agenda” and “spew venom” cannot be tolerated.

The opposition Congress Party has loudly condemned the move against the BBC with one member of parliament calling it “imbecile, childish & beyond even silly,” in a tweet.

"As hosts of G-20 what are we telling the world that rather than an emerging great power we are an insecure power. Whichever bright spark thought this one up is the Prime Minister’s worst enemy,” said Manish Tewari, who was once the minister of information.

The raids took place less than a month after the Modi government took extraordinary measures to censor “India: The Modi Question,” a BBC film that resurfaced decades-old allegations that Modi failed to stop a bloody riot in Gujarat state while he served as chief minister in 2002.
Modi is a nasty piece of work.
The BBC has no anti India agenda. India probably has more positivee coverage on the BBC than any other nation.

Attacks on journalists and their ability to report freely and independently have been increasing over the past few years along with an increasing trend towards authorita governance.

This article just caught my eye today, but there are many more examples.

Indian government raids BBC offices in wake of documentary critical of Modi

Gaurav Bhatia, a spokesman for Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, told reporters in a conference that the BBC “must work within India laws” and called the organization “corrupt” without offering specifics, instead listing a litany of perceived problems with its coverage.

“The BBC’s work has historically been tainted with its hatred for India,” he said. “Our constitution allows them to do unbiased journalism, but let me show you how they use journalism as a pretext to put forward their agenda.” He added that media outlets that “have a hidden agenda” and “spew venom” cannot be tolerated.

The opposition Congress Party has loudly condemned the move against the BBC with one member of parliament calling it “imbecile, childish & beyond even silly,” in a tweet.

"As hosts of G-20 what are we telling the world that rather than an emerging great power we are an insecure power. Whichever bright spark thought this one up is the Prime Minister’s worst enemy,” said Manish Tewari, who was once the minister of information.

The raids took place less than a month after the Modi government took extraordinary measures to censor “India: The Modi Question,” a BBC film that resurfaced decades-old allegations that Modi failed to stop a bloody riot in Gujarat state while he served as chief minister in 2002.
well face it....british media and american media are scumballs. The Truth is of no importance to them....and it becomes evident why in 3rd world shitholes as they explode they kill the media first.

And the US and UK keep Julian Assange imprisoned for daring to publish the crimes of governments.

Forum List

Back