Time for Congress to Telecommute

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
this would be good with me..also cut Congress down to size and get rid of career leeches politican's sucking the life's blood from us taxpayers (we need term limits who do nothing but sit on their ass passing worthless laws

SNIP:

Ben Shapiro | Mar 26, 2014

Ben Shapiro

Few Americans have ever met their Congresspeople. They don't see them at the grocery store; they don't meet them at the bowling alley. They're more likely to see their representatives in photographs from the Daily Grill in Washington, D.C., than at a local town hall. Constituents' closest contact with those they elect comes on Election Day, when they punch a chad next to a name.

This is precisely the opposite of how government was supposed to work.

In Federalist No. 46, James Madison posited that members of Congress would "generally be favorable to the States" from which they sprang, rather than toward the federal government. The federal government had to be part-time, given the distances between the states and the time required to travel. Politicians generally ended up in Washington, D.C., for just a few years in the early days of the Republic. That part-time government led to smaller government. Representatives showed up to vote on issues of major import to their constituents; then they went home to live among those who voted for them.

With the dramatic increase in ease of transportation and the incredible decrease in the amount of time required to travel between far-flung areas of the United States, representatives began spending more and more time in Washington and less and less time in their home districts. The first session of Congress, which lasted from March 4, 1789, to March 3, 1791, ran a grand total of 519 days. During the 109th Congress, lasting from Jan. 4, 2005, to Dec. 8, 2006, Congress was in session for a whopping 692 days.

And Congresspeople spent more of that time in D.C. Many Congresspeople spend their weeks in Washington and fly home on weekends, if that often. Approximately eight in 10 Congresspeople spend more than 40 weekends per year in their districts, according to the Congressional Management Foundation and the Society for Human Resource Management.

This has a predictable impact: Congresspeople do not fear their constituents. They simply don't see them often enough to fear them. That's why Democrats crammed through Obamacare in the dead of night over the Christmas holiday -- they hoped to escape the wrath of their constituents. Members of Congress have more in common with the people they hobnob in Washington, D.C., than they do with the people they're supposed to represent.

ALL of it here
Time for Congress to Telecommute - Ben Shapiro - Page 1

I thought to myself "Finally Steph has an idea instead of just going from thread to thread screaming Who cares"

Then I click it. Imagine my disappointment when I see you dont have your own idea but swiped some telecommute crap from another guy.

You can do better tha....nevermind

I thought to myself "Finally Steph has an idea instead of just going from thread to thread screaming Who cares"

Then I click it. Imagine my disappointment when I see you dont have your own idea but swiped some telecommute crap from another guy.

go outside and play little troll or comment on the article on Congress

The House actually isn't large enough. Representation isn't even close to even from state to state.

ACTUALLY, we have to end big money and fundraising out as politicians' major obsession, and get them out drinking and socializing again, like Tip and Raygun...

Telecommute and be in session only Part Time.

Telecommute and be in session only Part Time.

yep, that way they can work at jobs and feel what it's like to be the average Joe/Jill American

they live in such elitist bubble now they are totally out of touch with we the people

They should be paid the Minimum Wage they try to push on businesses for a part time job.

Let them see what it's like being in the economy they created.

That would take intelligence.

Anyhow, funny how this article's in Townhall since it's the teabaggers who a. refuse to work and b. have embraced the Republican status quo.

As it stands right now they only work a few weeks per year anyhow.

governmentdemotivator.jpg

there.

That would take intelligence.

Anyhow, funny how this article's in Townhall since it's the teabaggers who a. refuse to work and b. have embraced the Republican status quo.

As it stands right now they only work a few weeks per year anyhow.

well if you think this post of yours was intelligent, think again

I would personally like to see Congress return to what the original deal was.

They stayed at home most of the year running their businesses among their friends and relatives. And then, when the harvest season was over, they would go to D.C. to take up business. Not what the lobbyists and PACs want but what their constituents wanted!

I definitely don't agree with term limits but would love to see a limitation on how long they could meet the same as many states do. If they can't get their business done in that time. The president could reconvene them for a limited time. After that, all the male bovine excrement would be tossed out - to be taken up the next time they meet.

:eusa_clap:

My Congressman comes back to our district at least twice a month, and his office is always open. He has staff in his district office who are here every workday and they are incredibly responsive.

Too bad he's a liberal, though. :lol:

I don't know about the other Senator, but one of our US Senators is also extremely accessible. But he's a Democrat, too. :(

How about they just take a year vacation, and we'll see where we are after that? I bet nobody even notices, or, if they do, that it's chalked up to an increase in their quality of life.

How about they just take a year vacation, and we'll see where we are after that?
But how would we repeal ObamaCare another 40 times if they did that?

Oh, wait...

are you really such a fan of ObamaCare?
Them trying to repeal it doesn't bother me because that is what THE PEOPLE want
now back to the topic of the thread dear

Forum List

Back