Toledo water not safe?

jasonnfree

Gold Member
May 23, 2012
There was Charleston, W. Va. awhile back with a poisoned water supply. From what I can tell, the issue hasn't been resolved and nobody has gone to jail. Now Toledo, Ohio. What to do when industry can put entire bodies of water at risk and spend less time in jail than some kid on a misdemeanor drug charge. BP and the gulf of mexico as well as Prince william sound. BP keeps on drilling and it's ex CEO got his life back and to hell with the lost lives and the damage to the ecosytem. I imagine we'd really be in a fix if we privatized jobs like the EPA. But I'm sure in the meantime some on the right will say I'm wrong, that government is the problem, not the solution. I don't expect republicans will ever do anything against big business, but what are the demorats doing? They're too busy regulating the cake making industry.

Toledo water improving, mayor says | The Columbus Dispatch

Nope. My aunt and uncle live in Michigan, just north of Toledo, and my parents were telling me they can't use their water at all, not even to take a shower with.

1: As of about 1000 Saturday AM, the water is safe for bathing, washing dishes and clothes, but not consumption. This has not changed since.
2: The toxin in question is from an algae bloom, common n lake Erie July thru September. Low rainfall, cool temps and a generally light east to west wind has created a unusually high concentration of this algae in the Maumee bay, from which Toledo draws it water. This is the first time this has ever happened to Toledo water.
3: If there is any man-made contribution to this bloom, it comes from nitrogen and phosphates from farm runoff, compounded by the lack of dilution from the afrementiones low rainflall.

And so, calls for someone to go to jail come from from mindless, bigoted, partisan ignorance.

Kudos to Mayor Collins (I) and Governor Kasich (R) for handling tis as well they have.

Last edited:
There was Charleston, W. Va. awhile back with a poisoned water supply. From what I can tell, the issue hasn't been resolved and nobody has gone to jail. Now Toledo, Ohio. What to do when industry can put entire bodies of water at risk and spend less time in jail than some kid on a misdemeanor drug charge. BP and the gulf of mexico as well as Prince william sound. BP keeps on drilling and it's ex CEO got his life back and to hell with the lost lives and the damage to the ecosytem. I imagine we'd really be in a fix if we privatized jobs like the EPA. But I'm sure in the meantime some on the right will say I'm wrong, that government is the problem, not the solution. I don't expect republicans will ever do anything against big business, but what are the demorats doing? They're too busy regulating the cake making industry.

Had a boil water order here a few months ago for a nearby town.

With this Toledo event what I'm wondering about is why they expected the algae bloom later, but weren't prepared for it happening now. If they expected the algae to be a problem, how did it get into the water supply in the first place?

Had a boil water order here a few months ago for a nearby town.

With this Toledo event what I'm wondering about is why they expected the algae bloom later, but weren't prepared for it happening now. If they expected the algae to be a problem, how did it get into the water supply in the first place?
The algae did not get into the water supply, a toxin it releases did. Tests indicated a 2.5PPM level with a 1.0ppm safe value.

Who was it who gave me a yawn and a z-z-z-z-z-z when I talked about rebuilding our infrastructure with the money we send to Israel?

May your drinking water become polluted by neglect and lack of funds, too.
Pssst.... stupid...
This was caused by a toxin released from an algae bloom, not any failure in infrastructure.

Last edited:
There are DOZENS of other communities around Toledo that are also affected by this water situation.

The algae bloom goes well up into Michigan, too. I would imagine that most southeast Michigan communities are also under water restrictions.

There are also TWO nuclear power plants along the shores of that portion of Lake Erie. I wonder what the situation is with the nuke plants and their potable water supplies.

Last edited:
Who was it who gave me a yawn and a z-z-z-z-z-z when I talked about rebuilding our infrastructure with the money we send to Israel?

Toledo's Drinking Water Ban Reaches Second Day as Officials Seek Cause
Ohio Unsure When Advisory Will Be Rescinded for More Than 500,000
Toledo's Drinking Water Ban Reaches Second Day as Officials Seek Cause - WSJ

One of the big discussions coming out of this is the lack of spending on infrastructure. The problem is much bigger than the $3 billion we send to Israel every year. Currently, the country needs approximately $3 trillion in infrastructure improvements. The difference between the B and the T is $2,997,000,000,000.

1: As of about 1000 Saturday AM, the water is safe for bathing, washing dishes and clothes, but not consumption. This has not changed since.
2: The toxin in question is from an algae bloom, common n lake Erie July thru September. Low rainfall, cool temps and a generally light east to west wind has created a unusually high concentration of this algae in the Maumee bay, from which Toledo draws it water. This is the first time this has ever happened to Toledo water.
3: If there is any man-made contribution to this bloom, it comes from nitrogen and phosphates from farm runoff, compounded by the lack of dilution from the afrementiones low rainflall.

And so, calls for someone to go to jail come from from mindless, bigoted, partisan ignorance.

Kudos to Mayor Collins (I) and Governor Kasich (R) for handling tis as well they have.

Spot on. As a wastewater Engineer I approve of this message.

Toledo's Drinking Water Ban Reaches Second Day as Officials Seek Cause
Ohio Unsure When Advisory Will Be Rescinded for More Than 500,000
Toledo's Drinking Water Ban Reaches Second Day as Officials Seek Cause - WSJ

One of the big discussions coming out of this is the lack of spending on infrastructure. The problem is much bigger than the $3 billion we send to Israel every year. Currently, the country needs approximately $3 trillion in infrastructure improvements. The difference between the B and the T is $2,997,000,000,000.

Unless this was an expected potential occurrence, I'm not sure what type of infrastructure spending could have helped.

Forum List

Back