Top 10 martial arts for self defense

I am just a hobbyist but I think I can accurately post it

1) MMA - you get a good mix of everything and it’s famous ground and pound

2) Boxing - easy to learn and highly effective . Just don’t think you will ever be mayweather

3) wrestling - has plenty of standing and ground and you will dominate . Very complex ‘

4) Muay Thai - fightinge with 8 limbs !! Easy to learn but you may never be good

5) BJJ.- ground submission system that is harder than advanced calculus

6)judo - one good throw ends it but it’s very killer on the body and super complex and loses effectiveness with the no gi
Jujitsu is too low. Muay Thai too high.
MT is better than BJJ

2) Boxing - easy to learn and highly effective . Just don’t think you will ever be mayweather

3) wrestling - has plenty of standing and ground and you will dominate . Very complex ‘

4) Muay Thai - fightinge with 8 limbs !! Easy to learn but you may never be good

6)judo - one good throw ends it but it’s very killer on the body and super complex and loses effectiveness with the no gi
MT is better than BJJ
All fights eventually end up on the ground. So, in that light, BJJ is better, but MMA takes care of all that.

My background is TKD and Wing Chun, but I have wanted ground training for a long time. But time is what I don't have.

MT is better than BJJ
All fights eventually end up on the ground. So, in that light, BJJ is better, but MMA takes care of all that.

My background is TKD and Wing Chun, but I have wanted ground training for a long time. But time is what I don't have.
What is your age ?

I have only been wrestling for 13 months !!
I had to quit because the virus and I think the coach quit and I don’t think the new coach is any good !

MT is better than BJJ

What is your age ?

MT is better than BJJ

What is your age ?
[/QUOTE
What you can do !! Is join a men’s plus 35 senior or beginner class
You are still young enough
The no -gi is what I like over the super silly complex gi

I am 45 and I just avoid the advanced classes as it’s too much on me
I can do the beginner classes and tap folks out

I am 45 and I just avoid the advanced classes as it’s too much on me
I can do the beginner classes and tap folks out
That sounds like a good idea. Of course we're gonna have to wait for Covid to pass before anybody does it. I can't imagine trying to do that shit with a mask on.

with the other skills I have, just a little bit would be enough. Not that I would be satisfied with that.

:beer:

For a couple of years I was in a sparring group. We didn't learn any of the techniques such as forms or other bullshit like that, we just sparred. I learned more in that time. Then I ever did in formal classes.

They switched my mma coach and I think the new guy is very little help
I don’t know if the original guy will teach again
This was a big blow to me

I only do the no-gi
I would say I am an average white belt
I built my own mook jong from SYP pressure treated decking boards and glue. Shaped it with a powered planer and a belt sander.
:laugh:

1608515893855.jpeg

When I was a kid, I took Jeet Kun Do for almost three years. It’s the martial art created by Bruce Lee. It incorporates Kick Boxing, American boxing, grappling, Kung Fu, and Escrima.

I still do boxing from time to time and I still have my cane sticks for the Escrima. That’s still my favorite.

Of course I am a pretty old dog. Harder for me to learn new tricks.

The best offense for us old guys is simple, nothing fancy, straight to the point. One nice little gadget out there is this thing a company makes that folds down to about 12" but when you point it, it shoots out and telescopes with great force about 3 feet long making a strong, stiff steel rod with a brutal end that is hell to get hit in the face, throat, eye with making an effective baton.

Then there is the trusty cane with curved handle. That handle can hook, catch, hit, and many of them come with a concealed sword inside that you can pull out.
Whatever happened to fighting with no weapons
They all died of stab wounds and GSWs.

I did a hikkome gaeshi on a guy a couple weeks ago in the ER I work at. He was in a cop's custody and tried to escape. He had gone to the bathroom and when he came out, tried to break away and run from the cop who was about to put the cuffs back on. He was struggling to get away from the cop who had him by the jacket, (cop was fat as hell, no way was he going to chase this guy if he got loose) when I hit him from the side and locked him up in a thai clinch. (Now I have no problem with a guy escaping from the Man, that's not my business. Just don't pull that shit in my AO while I'm securing it. That was the 3rd escape attempt in a year. SMH) Anyway, the cop couldn't get his hand cuffed even with me controlling the guy in the clinch, so I told him to let go for a second, shifted my grip, and put him on the floor. Everyone else in the ER, to include some HFD guys, landed on us then and it was a dogpile. Got him cuffed and got back up and from the way those cops were looking, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he got a beat down later on. (Pro-tip; don't embarrass Texas cops..... they will stomp the fuck out of you for it.)

I was just happy to have a chance to try that throw out; I've used it several times in the gym, because BJJ guys tend to crouch a lot more than Judo guys, so this throw tends to work pretty often for me, but I had never done it in the wild before. I tried to get the security footage put none of the cameras were on that area.

I did a hikkome gaeshi on a guy a couple weeks ago in the ER I work at. He was in a cop's custody and tried to escape. He had gone to the bathroom and when he came out, tried to break away and run from the cop who was about to put the cuffs back on. He was struggling to get away from the cop who had him by the jacket, (cop was fat as hell, no way was he going to chase this guy if he got loose) when I hit him from the side and locked him up in a thai clinch. (Now I have no problem with a guy escaping from the Man, that's not my business. Just don't pull that shit in my AO while I'm securing it. That was the 3rd escape attempt in a year. SMH) Anyway, the cop couldn't get his hand cuffed even with me controlling the guy in the clinch, so I told him to let go for a second, shifted my grip, and put him on the floor. Everyone else in the ER, to include some HFD guys, landed on us then and it was a dogpile. Got him cuffed and got back up and from the way those cops were looking, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he got a beat down later on. (Pro-tip; don't embarrass Texas cops..... they will stomp the fuck out of you for it.)

I was just happy to have a chance to try that throw out; I've used it several times in the gym, because BJJ guys tend to crouch a lot more than Judo guys, so this throw tends to work pretty often for me, but I had never done it in the wild before. I tried to get the security footage put none of the cameras were on that area.

You have done judo all your life ??

You have done judo all your life ??

Off and on.

Forum List

Back