Treasury grants equal tax benefits to married gay couples

Did people protest marriage benefits before?

I've always had a problem with it. It's just another way the tax structure is abused in attempt to shape society in a certain direction.

So...you've always had a problem with it. What have you done about it? Write your congressman? Ask candidates their stand on it? Insist of filing single instead of married to reject the benefits? What?

Filing single is not an option for married couples; you must either file jointly or "married filing separately", which is much different (and less beneficial) than filing single.

And for the record, the "tax benefits" of filing joint tax returns are not universal; many gay couples will find themselves paying much more in income tax and qualifying for less tax credits as a result, especially for two earner couples with children.

So, while they have made clear that refund claims can be filed for the last 3 years to reclaim taxes that were paid based on this clarification, it seems to me that the IRS should also pursue those gay couples who filed single but were married to reclaim what now rightfully did not belong to them. The result of "equality" is not always positive.

Did people protest marriage benefits before?

I've always had a problem with it. It's just another way the tax structure is abused in attempt to shape society in a certain direction.

So...you've always had a problem with it. What have you done about it? Write your congressman? Ask candidates their stand on it? Insist of filing single instead of married to reject the benefits? What?

I have long been an advocate for a flat income tax across the board with no deductions and no exemptions.

Why does anyone deserve a tax benefit just for being married in the first place? Why exactly is a married person's livelihood more important than a non-married person's?

Tax everybody the same and then we don't need to waste our time with nonsense like this.

yup what is the differance about being married or being single?it is discrimination, a real real real smart guy would rather live single have a dog to keep him company, a maid to clean his place and a hooker to satisfy his sexual needs.

A really, really, really, smart guy would have the above and write it off.

:redface:

Religious people have yet to separate the business of religion and religion in business, as well as knowing what the law says. People that combine personal views with business are fools.

The Constitution says the Congress cannot prohibit the free exercise of religion. It doesn't say that only applies to churches or that the right gets forfeited if you're a business owner.

Did it come as a surprise? What did you think would happen? Homosexual married couples are entitled to the same benefits as normal married couples.

The problem is that it isn't normal.

You have no right to decide what is normal and what isn't.

Eh... I don't know about that. Society pretty much determines what is normal or abnormal, but just because something doesn't fall into the category of being normal doesn't mean it's wrong or bad.

I have long been an advocate for a flat income tax across the board with no deductions and no exemptions.

That's only one aspect of the impact of Civil Marriage. There is also assumed parentage (i.e. legal parent status) for the birth of a child, there are property taxes, there are estate taxes, there are qualifications for social security, health insurance, rights of survivorship, medical decision making, etc. All inherent and recognized for a Civil Marriage license for the cost of about $50 bucks that either (a) would cost hundreds if not thousands each to get them done property with an attorney (and even then they may not be recognized in other jurisdictions, or (b) cannot be recreated at all under contract law.

>>>>

Religious people have yet to separate the business of religion and religion in business, as well as knowing what the law says. People that combine personal views with business are fools.

The Constitution says the Congress cannot prohibit the free exercise of religion. It doesn't say that only applies to churches or that the right gets forfeited if you're a business owner.

So can there be laws against an individual standing in the middle of rush hour traffic to preach is religion? Are they valid?

A muslim wants to read the Koran in the control room of a nuclear power plant but is denied access, is that valid?

If the answer is "yes" then there are limitations that can be placed on the free exercise of religion and such limitations have been recognized for a long, long time.

>>>>

Forum List

Back