Treaty of Detroit

Good, Maybe those companies will return to making profits.

You dig that don't you? Oh, they're making profits hand over fist while paying what used to prop up the middle class half the pay. Suckers like you the politicians and 1% love. Thank God your kind wasn't around when this country was established - we would have been Third World decades if not centuries ago.

The unions shit the bed when they failed to politically stop the DEM$ AND REP$ from selling the american workforce down the river.

There's no stopping the race to the bottom, now, I suspect.

You dig that don't you? Oh, they're making profits hand over fist while paying what used to prop up the middle class half the pay. Suckers like you the politicians and 1% love. Thank God your kind wasn't around when this country was established - we would have been Third World decades if not centuries ago.

I'm sure the 99% would love this!

Detroit, the beacon of hope for Pro-Union liberals and 99 percenters everywhere!

detroit-then-now.jpg

Evidently no one knows what this topic is about and no one even bothered to read the links. Certainly no one has done any meaningful reading on the topic. Again I direct you to (gasp!!!!) find a library and check out two books - "Who Stole the American Dream" by Hedrich Smith and "Plutocrats" by Crystia Freeland. Tons of more books out there by serious historians and economists on the topic of the New Economy, etc.

I understand the temptation to fall into the mainstream media/political speak trap of reducing this to a hate thread about unions, Republicans and Democrats, that easy to understand stuff that means nothing. Not what this is about.

In summation, America had business leaders who were in it for the long haul to benefit not only them but to create a market here at home to keep the demand high. The good news is that there are still those kinds of CEO's out there. But globalization gave rise to CEO's who were more and are more about pleasing Wall Street instead of Main Street. Killers like Jack Welch, for instance, who earned the nickname "Chainsaw Welch," would come in, get rid of thousands of workers and jobs, move most if not all operations overseas - in short, sell America out for the quick buck - and make a handful of people rich at the expense of the American economy.

Yea, I know we all want easy answers as to why industry and manufacturing - things that built the Middle Class from the 50's to the 80's when Americans saw unprecendented chances to simply live the "American Dream" - has been moved overseas. It's the New Economy - the Global Economy.

Much as you want it to be about rich and poor, that's not what's being discussed here. It's the hows and whys the New Economy has wrecked America and driven us down to 4th from last place in many economic indicators (wages for instance). The good news is that from what I've been reading, some have learned a hard lesson with the greed of the New Economy (many even got in trouble big time), and it could be rebounding for us.

Detroit, the beacon of hope for Pro-Union liberals and 99 percenters everywhere!

detroit-then-now.jpg

Unions have the power to wreck entire cities? Why's eveyone think there's one simple answer to something this drastic? Where's that come from?

detroit-then-now.jpg

Unions have the power to wreck entire cities? Why's eveyone think there's one simple answer to something this drastic? Where's that come from?

This is one undeniable FACT--America was doing much, much better when there were many more unions and union members.

detroit-then-now.jpg

This is one undeniable FACT--America was doing much, much better when there were many more unions and union members.

Yea but it wasn't just because of unions. There were some nasty fights, sure, but buy and large unions and management had a mutual working relationship for a lot of mutual interests. Back then, companies seen labor as VALUED. Today, not so because labor is disposable. The "tunnel-viewers" here will also deny this but it's true - labor unions accomplished a lot to raise the standard of wages and living across the board. One analysis I read about not long ago said oftentimes labor and management didn't WANT to mess with unions, so management would treat labor just as good, if not better, than those in a union.

Of course, you know how it is today. Three years ago unions were not a political issue until a few asswipes wanted to continue to diminish the American worker's wages and organizing rights - Walker, Kasich and those silly "right to work" states.

Thing too is that now people in China, India and other countries with a freshly minted "middle class" who are able to spend money, America as the #1 consumer has fell way off the charts. So why pay Joe WalMart Associate a living wage when Xi Xan Yang in China has left the hut to the burbs and can spend his money now?

"A generation ago, being average in America was the envy of many in the world. The American Dream was something rare: an attainable ideal, based on the notion that if you worked hard and played by the rules, you could earn a comfortable, secure livelihood, and enable the next generation to do even better."

BEST article about this topic online I've seen yet:

America's middle class: An endangered species?

detroit-then-now.jpg

Detroit is the Progressive Model City

detroit-then-now.jpg

Detroit is the Progressive Model City

And the answers you propose are.........................?

Gone are the days - make way for the New Economy, wedge economics at its finest!

Treaty of Detroit Repealed - In These Times

New Economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The UAW won comprehensive health insurance, pensions, cost-of-living adjustments and income protection during economic downturns.

Yep, that's what conseratives say and liberals act like they've never heard of it......they get paid and the company suffers and gee, it goes bankrupt....oh and those pensions for life....yeah that's worked out great, so people are getting paid (that's if the unions do raid their pensions for hookers and coke parties) are not producing any cars, and our cars tend to be more expensive and sell less....hmmmm something tells that's what happend in the 80s when movies like GungHo were made....

Gone are the days - make way for the New Economy, wedge economics at its finest!

Treaty of Detroit Repealed - In These Times

New Economy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The UAW won comprehensive health insurance, pensions, cost-of-living adjustments and income protection during economic downturns.

Yep, that's what conseratives say and liberals act like they've never heard of it......they get paid and the company suffers and gee, it goes bankrupt....oh and those pensions for life....yeah that's worked out great, so people are getting paid (that's if the unions do raid their pensions for hookers and coke parties) are not producing any cars, and our cars tend to be more expensive and sell less....hmmmm something tells that's what happend in the 80s when movies like GungHo were made....

Well if what you described DID happen, you should be quite happy with the New Economy as the middle class gets eradicated while the rest of the world rises out of poverty at our expense. Real makings of maintaining our super power status, you know!

Forum List

Back