Trojan in a Mouse

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
You've heard about getting computer viruses and malware before. What if I told you that you could get a virus from a computer mouse?

This is a bad google translation:

Google Translate

The only input a mouse receives are button presses, scroll wheel ticks, and the view from a tiny, crappy camera embedded in the base. The build reads this camera with an Arduino, and when a certain pattern of gray and grayer pixels appear, it triggers a command to download a file from the Internet. From there, and from a security standpoint, Bob’s your uncle.

Malware In A Mouse

This could become a reality so beware what people plug into your computer.

You've heard about getting computer viruses and malware before. What if I told you that you could get a virus from a computer mouse?

This is a bad google translation:

Google Translate

The only input a mouse receives are button presses, scroll wheel ticks, and the view from a tiny, crappy camera embedded in the base. The build reads this camera with an Arduino, and when a certain pattern of gray and grayer pixels appear, it triggers a command to download a file from the Internet. From there, and from a security standpoint, Bob’s your uncle.
Malware In A Mouse

This could become a reality so beware what people plug into your computer.

The Trojan isn't in the mouse, it is printed on the mouse pad.

Oh, I saw this on an episode of "Bones". Evil superhacker dude whatshisname scratched a pattern on some bones that put a virus into the computer when they scanned the skeleton.

I also see what tomorrow's date is, so I think the story is a bit tongue-in-cheek. They had to program the arduino (board) to specifically recognize such scanned data patterns from the mouse. It's simply not going to happen with a vanilla USB port.

Forum List

Back