Trump was right...GM importing while laying off Americans...

That's because the model has severe reliability issues and has an avg of 37% loss of value in the first 12 months after purchase.
So lets put that into perspective. If a person bought a Chevy Cruze...MSRP base of $22k. with $1500 down. at 4.5% for 60 months. The payment would be $363 per month. The loan would cost $2,312. At the end of year one, the car would be worth $15400. The amount owed would be about $16,700....
By the end of year three.with 48k miles, With 36k miles, the value goes up another $500... the car is worth about $10.5k clean trade....The amount owed on the loan is a about $11,900. Still upside down. After year 5 the loan would be paid off. If the car has less than 100,000 miles on it, the owner will get about $2k in a private sale. The trade value is nil.
Such is life owning one of these vehicles. Save for the Chevy pickup truck line, GM vehicles are notorious for poor reliability and only average resale value. With the Cadillac models the least likely to hold any value.

Goes back to CAFE standards. To make cars more efficient, manufacturers were forced to build more complicated engines/drivetrains. The more complex the system, the greater the probability of failure.

I can fix the older cars...pre-computer control, so I won't ever be buying a new one. I have a VW Type I, a '70s era F-150 and an '80s era F-150. I'm pretty confident I can keep them going indefinitely.

Forum List

Back