Trumps' Great Wall

He doesn't have to explain anything, trust him. The wall will be so huge and the best wall ever, and have doors, beautiful doors, trust him, and Mexico will pay for it though I'd guess they are going to want the Walmart version pricing rather than the Trump Tower version pricing and after its built the Chinese will say 'good wall', not 'great' because you know our wall is great.

Trump is a comlete sham. He talks to the public like he's talking to some dope he's trying to bully into a deal and he believes his own bullshit by now.

There is no wall that can't be breached, all you can do is slow the traffic. How simple minded people have to be to hear him say this shit and think he CAN do any of it. I mean jeezus h kriste.
Yeah, Trump, who wants to spend $15 billion on a wall, is a sham, but Bernie Sanders, who wants to spend $18 trillion on free college, free healthcare, free everything, . . . why, he's a brilliant!

Why is it that anything that the taxpayers of this country actually want is impossible, but promising all the ticks on the ass of society everything for free is good policy?

Probably best describes the dichotomy between progressives and conservatives. One wants to have college graduates and healthy people, the other wants to build a huge wall. And they will of course need engineers to build that wall that went to COLLEGE.

Surveyors, engineers? Nah, they don't need that. All they'll need is cinder blocks, razor wire, and cheap labor. Wonder where they think they'll get the cheap labor?

Actually it will probably be made from precast concrete. They can probably put up about 2 miles of that in a day.

Really, 10,000 feet a day? So in about three years we could build almost 2,000 miles of wall? If I remember you said it would have a height of fifty feet so that means it would need a footing of about 15 feet or more. A wall fifty feet high would need to be at least 2 feet thick possibly more depending on wind shear. So let's see we're going to be pouring 11,733 cubic yards of concrete per day just about 2600 concrete trucks per day!

You aught to stick to something you know about.

You're obviously not an engineer. All your figures are too big by far.

For one thing, the wall would be built in several locations at once. Piles would probably be driving into the earth to support the wall against wind shear. The footing would only need to be 4 foot deep, at the maximum. 2 foot by 4 foot by 10,000 foot is 80,000 cubic feet. That's about 3000 yards of concrete. A cement truck can hold 10 yards of concrete, so that would be 300 hundred cement trucks per day. If the wall is built in a zig-zag fashion, it wouldn't even need the piles.

That's easily in the realm of the possible.

I don't know if a wall is necessary; but it beats all the other nonsense that the politicians are spouting. At least someone is not in the corporate pockets and taking this issue seriously finally.

So after you have a wall, what prevents someone from blowing a hole through it with a stick of dynamite? Guard towers every mile with machine guns and bright lights?

Fortress America!

More like every quarter mile. Do you think we should allow people to blow up our property? What do we do when people try to break inmates out of prison?

What they would probably do is drive up in their vehicles and arrest the perps, It's done thousands of times every day. Why do you progressive turds believe common every day activities suddenly become impossible whenever illegal aliens are involved?

The freaking tunnel is another example of the lax Hussein immigration policy combined with other failed federal agencies.. Why do low information lefties assume that tunnels can overcome a proper and vigorous effort to secure borders? There are a hundred ways of detecting idiot drug cartels who dig tunnels but the current federal government administration just doesn't give a shit.

And I don't care. I am talking to grampa and his post.
To bad isnt' it.

But the poster, grampa needs to be reminded.

You must never have heard of the term, "mining" or "shaft" or "tunnel" or "stoop" or "drift."

A wall can have a foundation ya know. Quite deep if you so choose
that's all been covered already...

No..I'm talking to you.

regardless, there's always someone who will game the system and find ways around it. Mexicans are no different.

regardless, there's always someone who will game the system and find ways around it. Mexicans are no different.

No one's buying the argument that we are helpless to do anything about illegals. Open-borders traitors say that because they don't want us to even try to do anything.

Yeah, Trump, who wants to spend $15 billion on a wall, is a sham, but Bernie Sanders, who wants to spend $18 trillion on free college, free healthcare, free everything, . . . why, he's a brilliant!

Why is it that anything that the taxpayers of this country actually want is impossible, but promising all the ticks on the ass of society everything for free is good policy?

Probably best describes the dichotomy between progressives and conservatives. One wants to have college graduates and healthy people, the other wants to build a huge wall. And they will of course need engineers to build that wall that went to COLLEGE.

Surveyors, engineers? Nah, they don't need that. All they'll need is cinder blocks, razor wire, and cheap labor. Wonder where they think they'll get the cheap labor?

Actually it will probably be made from precast concrete. They can probably put up about 2 miles of that in a day.

Really, 10,000 feet a day? So in about three years we could build almost 2,000 miles of wall? If I remember you said it would have a height of fifty feet so that means it would need a footing of about 15 feet or more. A wall fifty feet high would need to be at least 2 feet thick possibly more depending on wind shear. So let's see we're going to be pouring 11,733 cubic yards of concrete per day just about 2600 concrete trucks per day!

For one thing, the wall would be built in several locations at once. Piles would probably be driving into the earth to support the wall against wind shear. The footing would only need to be 4 foot deep, at the maximum. 2 foot by 4 foot by 10,000 foot is 80,000 cubic feet. That's about 3000 yards of concrete. A cement truck can hold 10 yards of concrete, so that would be 300 hundred cement trucks per day. If the wall is built in a zig-zag fashion, it wouldn't even need the piles.

Nope not an engineer, a general building contractor and I've built many walls in the past 39 years. The tallest was a 23 foot high x 57' long retaining wall. I've built a number of concrete block fences, 6' high. The standard ratio of fence height to footing depth is 3 to 1 so actually I was underestimating the footing depth, for a 50 foot high wall it would be 16'-8". The depth might be less if it was into bedrock, but of course to know what that bedrocks load capacity is would require soils engineers evaluation, which are always site specific. We don't want to get into evaluating the soil every 100 feet for 2000 miles, so let's just dig a footing 16'-8" deep (a 4' deep footing would never support a masonry wall 2' thick and 50' high, we're talking about 15,000 pounds per linear foot).For a 6' high free standing fence the standard footing width is 1' but I was again being generous to you and estimated it at 2'. At a ratio of 6 to 1 the footing width would be 8'-4". So 8'-4" x 16'-8" we have 138.27 cu. ft. Per linear feet of wall. 138.27 x 5280 ln. ft. per mile equals 730,065 cu. ft. / 27 cu. ft. per cu. yd. equals 27,039 yards per mile x two miles per day equals 54,078 yards per day. Now as anyone who has ever ordered concrete knows you can only put 9 yards in a 10 yard truck, otherwise when the truck goes up a grade the mud spills out the back. So 54,078 / 9 equals 6008 trucks a day.

Seems that it's getting worse for you. Feel free to check my math, but I had to break out the calculator for this one so I'm pretty sure there are no mistakes. I'd calced the last one in my head.

Like I said, you should stick to something you know something about.

Nope not an engineer, a general building contractor and I've built many walls in the past 39 years. The tallest was a 23 foot high x 57' long retaining wall. I've built a number of concrete block fences, 6' high. The standard ratio of fence height to footing depth is 3 to 1 so actually I was underestimating the footing depth, for a 50 foot high wall it would be 16'-8". The depth might be less if it was into bedrock, but of course to know what that bedrocks load capacity is would require soils engineers evaluation, which are always site specific. We don't want to get into evaluating the soil every 100 feet for 2000 miles, so let's just dig a footing 16'-8" deep (a 4' deep footing would never support a masonry wall 2' thick and 50' high, we're talking about 15,000 pounds per linear foot).For a 6' high free standing fence the standard footing width is 1' but I was again being generous to you and estimated it at 2'. At a ratio of 6 to 1 the footing width would be 8'-4". So 8'-4" x 16'-8" we have 138.27 cu. ft. Per linear feet of wall. 138.27 x 5280 ln. ft. per mile equals 730,065 cu. ft. / 27 cu. ft. per cu. yd. equals 27,039 yards per mile x two miles per day equals 54,078 yards per day. Now as anyone who has ever ordered concrete knows you can only put 9 yards in a 10 yard truck, otherwise when the truck goes up a grade the mud spills out the back. So 54,078 / 9 equals 6008 trucks a day.

Seems that it's getting worse for you. Feel free to check my math, but I had to break out the calculator for this one so I'm pretty sure there are no mistakes. I'd calced the last one in my head.

The wall will not be made of masonry. It will be made of precast concrete, which only needs to be about 6 inches thick, and your footing depth is required to resist wind shear, not the weight of the wall. You can resist wind shear by using piles or by building the wall in a zig-zag fashion.

Like I said, you aren't an engineer. You really don't have a clue as to what the engineering constraints are. All you know how to do is follow a recipe. Your figures are pure hooey based on the limited knowledge of a contractor.

Last edited:
By the way, and we are just spit-balling here...wouldn't a Great Ditch be cheaper than a Great Wall?

We have the Grand Canyon as a starter to the project, why not just carve out a mile deep canyon all along the border? That way they can't tunnel under it so easily, and just think of the new tourism for the Trump Ditch. Send the dirt to Florida to fill in all the sink holes and to shore up levies along the Mississippi. Em eye ess ess eye ess ess eye pee pee aye.

You could see it from space, The Great Ditch of America. It would be a great civil works project and laundry soap and shovel companies would have a windfall.

So after you have a wall, what prevents someone from blowing a hole through it with a stick of dynamite? Guard towers every mile with machine guns and bright lights?

Fortress America!

Sounds like conservatives want America renamed to Stalag 17.

That concludes the bitch-slap for today. Holy hell.

I still think there will be ferry boats especially on the Texas side going all the way to the Mississippi River. Those old Higgins boat would be ideal for the short runs. As for Trump Wall how high will it be, seems like an enterprising advertising man could make some money there sort of a huge billboard. Of course on the Mexican side it would have to be in Spanish, well maybe the US side too. Trump could even post his Trumpisms on his wall.

Okay, you've got that figured out. Do you get to sign your name to the section you paid for? Where else is the money coming from?

Yep, progressives want free college and free healthcare for illegal aliens

Nope.

Of course, you do. HIllary and Bernie have already admitted it. So has Obama. What do you think the "dreamers" are all about?

Links?

Okay, you've got that figured out. Do you get to sign your name to the section you paid for? Where else is the money coming from?

Yep, progressives want free college and free healthcare for illegal aliens

Nope.

Of course, you do. HIllary and Bernie have already admitted it. So has Obama. What do you think the "dreamers" are all about?

Links?

It's coming from your tax dollars, of course. I know that sucks for you.

The wall will not be made of masonry. It will be made of precast concrete, which only needs to be about 6 inches thick, and your footing depth is required to resist wind shear, not the weight of the wall. You can resist wind shear by using piles or by building the wall in a zig-zag fashion.

Like I said, you aren't an engineer. You really don't have a clue as to what the engineering constraints are. All you know how to do is follow a recipe. Your figures are pure hooey based on the limited knowledge of a contractor.

When you're in a hole you should stop digging.

First of all concrete is masonry. Secondly, it is laughable that you think a 6" slab could stand fifty feet vertically. Wind load would easily blow it over. Telephone poles are typically 35 fee high and you want a wall almost fifty percent higher! Your pile idea would not eliminate material, only change where and how it's used plus "driving" precast concrete piles is a misnomer, they actually placed in bored holes. Boring and placing a couple hundred 70' piles every day would be monumental. Your zig zag idea is ridiculous. All that will do is increase the number of miles of wall to be built, remember the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. As for the footing design you're completely out of your league, the gravitational load must be supported and 7 1/2 tons per linear foot is a lot of load. Four feet deep would never resist the lateral load either, the wall would soon tip over. Phone poles are 6' deep and they have to resist very little win load but a fifty foot high wall with a four foot foundation ? Absurd!

You're right, I'm not an engineer, but I've spent my career working with many and in fact I do have a clue. My numbers are far closer to reality than tour silly assertions.

There will never be a fifty foot wall from California to the Gulf of Mexico, there won't even be a fence. The whole idea is for rubes like you.

Forum List

Back