🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump's racist basket

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
“Just to be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables,” said Clinton at a New York fundraiser Friday night, where access was purchased at a price of between $1,200 and $250,000. “They’re racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it…But the other basket…of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change…Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.”

Trump, feigning outrage, has gleefully seized on Clinton’s comments, and most observers believe they were impolitic. This is all, however, missing an important point: Clinton was wrong to divide Trump voters between the bigoted and economically anxious because many are both, and the two things are interrelated. For many, it’s just one big basket. Clinton, in drawing a distinction between the racists and the justly-upset, echoes a broader and mostly unhelpful debate about whether Trump supporters are motivated by economic anxiety or bigotry: the clear answer, contrary to Matthew Yglesias and company, is “often both.”

Yes, Trump is getting a lot of support from professional racists on the white supremacist and alt-right, and reducing his base of support to any single constituency is a fool’s errand. But for many Trump voters, anger and anxiety over economic decline and precarity, the rising status of women and people of color, demographic change caused by immigration, and the country’s waning global powerafter more than a decade of costly and futile global warfare, are all wrapped into one big sense of foreboding terror. Trump promises relief and a reversion to something that was, in senses both real and imagined, better.

Great piece

The denial of what's in his 'basket' is sickening.

Donald, you invited them in, the Alt Right. So fuck you for trying to pretend you didn't know.

Look at these pigs:

Are you going to go koo koo bye bye on this and post a quizzillion threads on the same topic? Please don't. This is your second.

“Just to be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables,” said Clinton at a New York fundraiser Friday night, where access was purchased at a price of between $1,200 and $250,000. “They’re racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it…But the other basket…of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change…Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.”

Trump, feigning outrage, has gleefully seized on Clinton’s comments, and most observers believe they were impolitic. This is all, however, missing an important point: Clinton was wrong to divide Trump voters between the bigoted and economically anxious because many are both, and the two things are interrelated. For many, it’s just one big basket. Clinton, in drawing a distinction between the racists and the justly-upset, echoes a broader and mostly unhelpful debate about whether Trump supporters are motivated by economic anxiety or bigotry: the clear answer, contrary to Matthew Yglesias and company, is “often both.”

Yes, Trump is getting a lot of support from professional racists on the white supremacist and alt-right, and reducing his base of support to any single constituency is a fool’s errand. But for many Trump voters, anger and anxiety over economic decline and precarity, the rising status of women and people of color, demographic change caused by immigration, and the country’s waning global powerafter more than a decade of costly and futile global warfare, are all wrapped into one big sense of foreboding terror. Trump promises relief and a reversion to something that was, in senses both real and imagined, better.

Great piece

Donald, you invited them in, the Alt Right. So fuck you for trying to pretend you didn't know.

About Daniel Denvir

I’m a staff writer at the Philadelphia City Paper.

My opinion at The Guardian’s Comment Is Free, Al Jazeera America and in City Paper’s Hostile Witness column.

I’m a contributing writer at Salon, and my work appears in The Atlantic Cities, VICE, and The New Republic.

MEDIA APPEARANCES
I have appeared on TV and radio regarding contributions to the aforementioned publications, including: Democracy Now!, MSNBC’s Tamron Hall discussing segregation and Occupy, public radio’s Here & Now on immigration, MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry on police excessive use of force and education reform.

‎”Dan Denvir… earned his reputation as a self-righteous pain-in-the-ass, an unabashed class warrior and the Philadelphia journalist most likely to start a public argument with other journalists over their failures to meet his standards of reportorial decorum. But the same qualities that earned Denvir a parody Twitter account also drove him to relentlessly explore who wields power in this city and how the poor often get screwed by the powerful.” - Philadelphia Magazine, December 2012.

Now tell me. Why should I read such drivel outside of a psychological study of Progressives?

Great piece

You're absolutely losing your mind. Please don't stop though it's entertaining as hell to watch.

Forum List

Back