Turning down the volume on TV commercials

Forcing advertisers to have to comply with this type of mandate is almost certainly going to cause them to spend more money on their ads.

I HOPE this ends up happening and advertisers leave and revenue flows dry up. The shit storm that will eventually ensue all becuase people couldn't press their own damn remote control volume buttons will be more than worth it.
If people stop watching TV because the ads are jolting them out of their seats and blasting their eardrums revenue might dry up anyway.

But if it happens your way, Paulie, I can just imagine you wagging your finger at us saying, "I told you this would happen!! I told you there would be no more TV! I told you the television industry would go bust because you whined too much!!""

:lol:

If only we had listened to Saint Paulie.

Ang, if people stopped watching TV because of it the advertisers would have no other CHOICE but to control their ads volumes sufficiently.

Either way you could probably get them to change their ads, only my way doesn't have to involve the government. That's all I'm asking for, is for people to try to get it done on their own first, before running right to the government for the fix.

That's the easy way out, and I just happen to think there's more important things for the government to be spending their time on these days.

Like recognizing Rush Limbaugh's accomplishments, or intervening in the sports world, for instance :D

Forcing advertisers to have to comply with this type of mandate is almost certainly going to cause them to spend more money on their ads.

I HOPE this ends up happening and advertisers leave and revenue flows dry up. The shit storm that will eventually ensue all becuase people couldn't press their own damn remote control volume buttons will be more than worth it.
If people stop watching TV because the ads are jolting them out of their seats and blasting their eardrums revenue might dry up anyway.

But if it happens your way, Paulie, I can just imagine you wagging your finger at us saying, "I told you this would happen!! I told you there would be no more TV! I told you the television industry would go bust because you whined too much!!""

Ang, if people stopped watching TV because of it the advertisers would have no other CHOICE but to control their ads volumes sufficiently.

Either way you could probably get them to change their ads, only my way doesn't have to involve the government. That's all I'm asking for, is for people to try to get it done on their own first, before running right to the government for the fix.

That's the easy way out, and I just happen to think there's more important things for the government to be spending their time on these days.

Like recognizing Rush Limbaugh's accomplishments, or intervening in the sports world, for instance :D
How do you know people didn't already try to get them to stop on their own?

Because busines has one main priority, and that's profit. If the business is losing money because people are specifically telling them they won't buy their products until they stop running loud commercials, the business has no other choice but to listen. You don't intentionally lose revenue for the sake of running a loud commercial.

Isn't the point of running the loud commercial to get your attention? You don't run a commercial to LOSE money, you run it in the hopes of MAKING money. If the commercial is losing you money, you change it.

This doesn't mean I'm saying people aren't trying, but obviously not enough ultimately are. Be a leader, start a movement. Rally the public together and get them to demand those advertisers quiet their commercials or they will lose money.

It's not like that's any harder than rallying the people to demand the government do it FOR them. Either way, all you're asking for is their time and devotion to an issue. This country's biggest problem is a LACK of that.

I agree with the mute button option. There's also the bathroom break option. The Tivo option.

Are people really soooooooooooo helpless they need the government to tell the big bad speakers to shush up?

Um, the broadcasters can quit accepting highly compressed ads.

The Brits passed similar laws last year and I've heard nothing about the total collapse of the broadcasting and/or commercial industry.

:eusa_whistle:

We haven't required the Brits to tell us how to live since 1776.

And, for the record, if you think the Brit ads are any better, they aren't.... the sound on commercials in the UK is pretty bad too but they have this button on their remotes to help them control their own lives. Makes a change for the Brits, they usually like the Nanny State to control shit for them.

The Brits passed similar laws last year and I've heard nothing about the total collapse of the broadcasting and/or commercial industry.

And, for the record, if you think the Brit ads are any better, they aren't.... the sound on commercials in the UK is pretty bad too but they have this button on their remotes to help them control their own lives. Makes a change for the Brits, they usually like the Nanny State to control shit for them.
Yuh...actually I read up on it and the Brits haven't enforced it...but they are starting to get a lot of pressure over it. Maybe the Brit taxpayers own their airwaves, too.

Yuh...actually I read up on it and the Brits haven't enforced it...but they are starting to get a lot of pressure over it. Maybe the Brit taxpayers own their airwaves, too.

No, the Brits are just lazy. They like the government having control of their lives. We are not British, Ravi, we are Americans. We are not supposed to follow them.... we are supposed to be leaders, not followers.

No, the Brits are just lazy. They like the government having control of their lives. We are not British, Ravi, we are Americans. We are not supposed to follow them.... we are supposed to be leaders, not followers.
:lol: I posted that because Radioboy seems to think it is impossible to make the broadcasters comply.

And of course, you are free to think of it as a nanny state issue...but it isn't. We are welcome to regulate what we own as long as it doesn't violate the constitution.

I agree with the mute button option. There's also the bathroom break option. The Tivo option.

Are people really soooooooooooo helpless they need the government to tell the big bad speakers to shush up?

Only if you're a liberal. :lol:
Hence neocons like liarbilly supporting it while several of us liberals have been in opposition to it :rolleyes:

What was that? You're a partisan retard and didn't think before you posted that? Well, that certainly explains it.

Because busines has one main priority, and that's profit. If the business is losing money because people are specifically telling them they won't buy their products until they stop running loud commercials, the business has no other choice but to listen. You don't intentionally lose revenue for the sake of running a loud commercial.

Isn't the point of running the loud commercial to get your attention? You don't run a commercial to LOSE money, you run it in the hopes of MAKING money. If the commercial is losing you money, you change it.

This doesn't mean I'm saying people aren't trying, but obviously not enough ultimately are. Be a leader, start a movement. Rally the public together and get them to demand those advertisers quiet their commercials or they will lose money.

It's not like that's any harder than rallying the people to demand the government do it FOR them. Either way, all you're asking for is their time and devotion to an issue. This country's biggest problem is a LACK of that.
Get a clue, Paulie. (I know I did say you have one or two but you need another) I'm sure this effort started as a grassroots thing anyway. At a certain point when public outrage is strong enough the government takes over. This is why the government is our advocate.

Why does everyone assume everyone else has a remote?

Get off your ass.

Or get one of these

finglonger.jpg

Now available, The Value Finglonger! For all you really cheap bitches who just won't shut the fuck up!
r6L2x.jpg

Get a clue, Paulie. (I know I did say you have one or two but you need another) I'm sure this effort started as a grassroots thing anyway. At a certain point when public outrage is strong enough the government takes over. This is why the government is our advocate.

You are beyond naive if you think the government is your advocate. Sure, they advocate for the public, but only when they have no other choice because of unavoidable public pressure that might threaten congressional seats.

Like I've said numerous times in this thread so far, if the public makes enough of an effort that they can win their case, more power to them.

Regardless of what you think, I'm not a typical big business-first style conservative. I just happen to think there's more free market solutions than you do.

Are you kidding me? First of all, no one made an absolute statement that "EVERYONE" has a remote, except for you.

But the majority of TV owners? I'm not sure you could possibly argue against that.

My job requires me to be inside people's homes. I've probably been inside more homes than most people here. I've never seen a TV that didn't have a remote for it. This is America, Ang. That is pretty much people's requirement when it comes to TV viewing.

Forum List

Back