Two Houses of the Congress: House/Senate. Let's discuss Joe "My-way-or-the-highway" Manchin, and his Unsolicited Advice for VP Harris and Democrats

Procrustes Stretched

"intuition and imagination and intelligence"
Dec 1, 2008
Joe "My-way-or-the-highway" Manchin says “I didn’t like being a senator,” because compromise escaped him. Reminds me of the Rand Paul type (and others) who see people needing to serve principles, rather than principles serving mankind. He'd justify throwing a baby out with the bathwater, because he need to keep to a schedule for washing dishes. He needed the tub. Baby had to go. Dishes washed on schedule. Done!

Joe Manchin Has Some Unsolicited Advice for Kamala Harris and the Democrats

He has high hopes for Harris, the Democrats’ new nominee — indeed, more insights and words of praise about her than I (Michelle Cottle), expected.

Manchin: On both sides, I’ve seen that we’ve killed good legislation because of politics.

You can go back to 2013. We had a bipartisan immigration bill. Passed it with 68 or 69 senators. It went over to the House. And John Boehner was the speaker. And John’s a friend of mine. I called him. I said, “John, can you put it on the floor? It’ll pass. You know it will pass, John.” It was well done. We secured the border. We had a pathway to citizenship, which was very, very tough. You wouldn’t be fighting what we are today. And John looked at me, and he said, “Joe, I can’t do it.” He said, “Eric Cantor just got beaten in Richmond by a far-right extremist who said, ‘By supporting this piece of legislation, Eric Cantor was for amnesty,’ and that’s how he beat him.” So the rest of the Republican caucus was afraid.

Then you have Roe v. Wade. For 50 years, it was precedented law. We learned how to maneuver. And with the Dobbs decision, they threw it out in the most divisive time of our country. So you would think, normally, “Why can’t we just codify Roe v. Wade? Just codify it.” So Susan Collins, my dear friend Lisa Murkowski and myself, you know, we have a bipartisan piece of legislation that simply codifies it. That’s all. It won’t be precedent. It’ll be the law of the land, and every state will abide by it.

Well, the Democrats were trying to pass a piece of legislation, and I was sitting in caucus one day, and they were trying to explain that we’re codifying Roe v. Wade. When I read the bill, it went way further than codifying Roe v. Wade. And I just asked the question in caucus, “Are you trying to make people believe that what you’re doing here is just codifying Roe v. Wade, which we’ve talked about?” I said, “This does more, much more than that.” And I walked out, like, “This is crazy. You guys have lost your mind.” They voted the bill anyway, and I voted against it. So those types of things. Politics killed that. They wanted to play to the base.

Joe seems to want to make us all believe he was always above politics. Gotta love politicians who claim to be above politics. I do. I've backed a few. LOL

Joe seems to want to make us all believe he was always above politics.
Joe Manchin is a POS politician who was able to fool WV voters into thinking he was a "moderate." For example, he ran a TV ad during his 2012 Senate campaign in which he was shown shooting a rifle bullet through the pending Obamacare bill and promising to vote against it. Right after he was elected, he provided the tie-breaking vote to pass it. He also voted for the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act after holding out for a $1 billion bribe to a commission headed by his wife, then turned around the next year and said he was against it.

The only reason he is not running for reelection in 2024 is because the people of WV finally got wise to him.

Forum List

Back