Tyche

Capstone

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2012
Didn't know where to post this thread, but since Matese, Whitmire, and the data from WISE are all legit, this seemed the most appropriate forum.

From here:

...However, John Matese and Dan Whitmire, two astrophysicists at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, continue to scour the spacecraft’s data for the signatures of “Tyche,” a totally different type of solar companion. Unlike Nemesis, Tyche (or Nemesis’ good sister), is a hypothetical 1 to 4 Jupiter-mass object that would lie about a third of a light year away, on a very long four million-year nearly circular solar orbit inclined roughly 45 degrees to the plane of our solar system. ...

I wonder whether such an orbit (4 million years, circular, and inclined 45 degrees to the ecliptic) in conjunction with periodic alignments could account for the periodicity of extinction cycles apparent in the geological record.

In other words: is it possible that the 4 million year orbit of this theoretical companion might only threaten Earth with a mass extinction event every 7th (or so) rotation, due in part to the cycles of other alignments?

Or is travel time (from a comet's point of perturbation to its point of impact) entirely sufficient to fill the 22 million year gap?

An old news clip (read the scroll for hints of its air date), in which the newscaster described a brown dwarf of 1 to 4 Jupiter mass:

Last edited by a moderator:
While the orbital variables (precession, ETC.) might be beyond our scope, a more polar than equatorial orbit would bring the companion into closer proximity with opposite sides of the ecliptic plane every 2 million (or so) years -- a sort of periodic counterbalance, without which our planet might have long ago migrated too far inward to have been hospitable for the evolution of life as we know it.

With all the negative press associated with "Nibiru, Marduk, Blue/Red Kachina, Hercolubus, Planet X, Nemesis" and so on, it's a bit of a mind-fuck to imagine its orbit as potentially beneficial in the grand scheme of things.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've some Yoga to do in preparation for the day of bending over backwards and kissing my own ass goodbye. :lol:

Forum List

Back