Ugh, Our Government Names a Naval Vessel After Gabrielle Giffords

Yeah, because "Gun-toting whacks" would in fact be the ONLY alternative to Gabrielle Giffords. *Sarcasm added*

I'm still trying to get all the hostility on the right to Ms. Giffords, exactly.

Was it because you Teabaggers got the blame for her shooting after you put a target on her?

Because we all admit that was kind of a mistake.

Or are you just mad because she's pointing out that she suffered horribly because a crazy person was able to walk into a gun store and buy a gun, no questions asked.

Nothing like a strawman fallacy to divert the topic of the thread amidst a losing argument. Thus far you've attempted 5 in two posts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUm2vFmCjDk]Gabrielle Giffords, Sarah Palin connection - Photo of cross-hairs target not cool, warned Giffords - YouTube[/ame]

Not strawman at all.

Gifford's pointed it out, herself, before getting shot.

You folks should really be careful who you make enemies with..and who you are allies with..

Giffords showed enormous fortitude after an attack that would have killed most people and the Daily Caller showed it's scumbag druthers when it tried to frame Menedez as a person that uses the services of child prostitutes.

I can think of about this many people who showed more fortitude and deserve it more.

There will always be someone who deserves it more. There's no point in dwelling on that, it's not precedent to only pick war veterans.

Yeah, there’s no point on dwelling on the name of a naval vessel. Except that every man on that ship is going to be the laughing stock of the Navy. That’ll motivate the hell out of em. Give em someone to look up to and be proud of. Why don't they just start naming ships after muppets and get it over with already? Yes, the "USS Kermit the Frog." That strike fear in the hearts of our enemies!

I'm still trying to get all the hostility on the right to Ms. Giffords, exactly.

Was it because you Teabaggers got the blame for her shooting after you put a target on her?

Or are you just mad because she's pointing out that she suffered horribly because a crazy person was able to walk into a gun store and buy a gun, no questions asked.

Nothing like a strawman fallacy to divert the topic of the thread amidst a losing argument. Thus far you've attempted 5 in two posts.

Not strawman at all.

Gifford's pointed it out, herself, before getting shot.

A strawman fallacy is an introduction of a topic not congruent to the merits of the op that has the effect of diverting away from the original conversation and into another topic. AKA hijacking a thread.

Debatable question = should they name a ship after Giffords?
Straw man = Was it because you Teabaggers got the blame for her shooting after you put a target on her?

Last edited:
I can think of about this many people who showed more fortitude and deserve it more.

There will always be someone who deserves it more. There's no point in dwelling on that, it's not precedent to only pick war veterans.

Yeah, there’s no point on dwelling on the name of a naval vessel. Except that every man on that ship is going to be the laughing stock of the Navy. That’ll motivate the hell out of em. Give em someone to look up to and be proud of. Why don't they just start naming ships after muppets and get it over with already? Yes, the "USS Kermit the Frog." That strike fear in the hearts of our enemies!

I dont think they're typically as insecure as you apparently are.

Do you think all of the other Men on all of the other ships named after women who were not War Vets get giggled and snorted at to the point of our Enemies just walking up to them and poking them in their chests, or something?

It's like you actually think the real world behaves like a middle school locker room or something.

Everything with this administration is done to humilate and belittle us and our country...Not a once of honor amongest any of them

oh well, you voted for it

Do you think all of the other Men on all of the other ships named after women who were not War Vets get giggled and snorted at to the point of our Enemies just walking up to them and poking them in their chests, or something?

It's like you actually think the real world behaves like a middle school locker room or something.

Obviously someone can’t tell sarcasm from a serious argument, however, ships are named to motivate their crew. There’s no point in defending it. Just say it was a boneheaded move and go on. And in the real world the laws of machiavelli reins supreme. In any case, so much for that self-fulfilling prophesy effect.

Last edited:

Obviously someone can’t tell sarcasm from a serious argument, however, ships are named to motivate their crew. There’s no point in defending it. Just say it was a boneheaded move and go on. And in the real world the laws of machiavelli reins supreme.

It wasnt boneheaded because it matches precedent.

Yeah, because "Gun-toting whacks" would in fact be the ONLY alternative to Gabrielle Giffords. *Sarcasm added*

I was just asking why you all hate this woman this much...

Incidently, the decision to name the boat after her was made back in 2012...

you are only screaming about it now because she's becoming the face of oppossition to our crazy gun laws.

Obviously someone can’t tell sarcasm from a serious argument, however, ships are named to motivate their crew. There’s no point in defending it. Just say it was a boneheaded move and go on. And in the real world the laws of machiavelli reins supreme.

Yes, it matches precedent. It was named just like every other vessel in the world. This one was a horrible choice. Is there a precedent for horrible ship names? Sure there are. Is there a precedent for good ship names? Absolutely! However, that doesn’t change the fact that there are both good and bad ship names. Thus, it can be boneheaded. There is certainly a precedent for boneheaded but that doesn’t make it any less boneheaded. The above reply is hereby cut down by simple logic.

you are only screaming about it now because she's becoming the face of oppossition to our crazy gun laws.

good grief, she is becoming the face of oppossition to our RIGHTS and you find that honorable...figures

how about if she was the face for banning ABORTION?

Yes, it matches precedent. It was named just like every other vessel in the world. This one was a horrible choice. Is there a precedent for horrible ship names? Sure there are. Is there a precedent for good ship names? Absolutely! However, that doesn’t change the fact that there are both good and bad ship names. Thus, it can be boneheaded. There is certainly a precedent for boneheaded but that doesn’t make it any less boneheaded. The above reply is hereby cut down by simple logic.

Youve no logic behind calling it a horrible choice.

[

Again, you have yet to demonstrate why it was boneheaded. Other than you don't like the woman.

We have aircraft carriers named after Reagan, Bush and Jerry freakin' Ford.

Another carrier, the John C. Stennis, was named after a Senator who supported segregation.

So again, the problem here is your irrational hatred for Ms. Giffords, who had the audacity to survive after being shot by a crazy person and actually pointing out it's too easy for crazy people to get guns.

Strawman Fallacy 1: My position on the woman has no merit in assessing whether she should have a ship named after her over thousands of fallen heroes. The question diverts the thread away from the merits on whether she should have a ship named after her i.e. chasing the straw man.

Strawman Fallacy 2: The date of the ships naming has no merit in assessing if the ship should have been named for her. The question diverts the thread away from the merits on whether she should have a ship named after her i.e. chasing the straw man.

Assuming facts not in evidence: No, I was against the USS John Murtha and he actually served in the military. The only problem was that he claimed that Marines (Now exonerated) were cold blooded murders. Indeed, I have been screaming about politicians names on ships for years (Save presidents who served).

[

Again, you have yet to demonstrate why it was boneheaded. Other than you don't like the woman.

Another carrier, the John C. Stennis, was named after a Senator who supported segregation.

So again, the problem here is your irrational hatred for Ms. Giffords, who had the audacity to survive after being shot by a crazy person and actually pointing out it's too easy for crazy people to get guns.

The above assumes that crappy names in the past should justify crappy names in the future, or in other words, justifying a wrong with a perceived wrong.

Strawman Fallacy 1: My position on the woman has no merit in assessing whether she should have a ship named after her over thousands of fallen heroes. The question diverts the thread away from the merits on whether she should have a ship named after her i.e. chasing the straw man.

Strawman Fallacy 2: The date of the ships naming has no merit in assessing if the ship should have been named for her. The question diverts the thread away from the merits on whether she should have a ship named after her i.e. chasing the straw man.

Assuming facts not in evidence: No, I was against the USS John Murtha and he actually served in the military. The only problem was that he claimed that Marines (Now exonerated) were cold blooded murders. Indeed, I have been screaming about politicians names on ships for years (Save presidents who served).

Yawn, guy, just because you quote the fallacy doesn't mean you understand it.

(It's actually called "beating the straw man", you set up a straw man argument and then beat it. Chasing it would be impractical, since straw men can't run.)

Clearly, we name a lot of ships after people who aren't fallen heroes or even served in the military... Right, wrong, whatever. That's what we do.

You simply don't like what Giffords has been doing AFTER she got the ship named after her by her fellow congressfolks who kind of felt bad she got a bullet to the head for doing her job.

[

The above assumes that crappy names in the past should justify crappy names in the future, or in other words, justifying a wrong with a perceived wrong.

Your opinion of what's crappy is irrelevant to logic. It's mere opinion, not logic.

To be logically consistent, all ships would NOT be named after vets or war heros.

whjat's the standard, then, and on what merit?

[

I'm still waiting to see how it was "wrong".

There simply isn't a rule that you HAVE to name ships after war heroes.

This is about your dislike for Ms. Giffords, not about whether the name of a ship matters.

Yes, this is not an answer to my post, and thus, the argument has now become contradiction. You are now just taking the opposite position without explanation. I have already addressed this, you chose not to listen. Furthermore, you chose not to convey a counterargument. So what am I to make of the above? Are you just posting for no other reason than to trick yourself into thinking you’re on the right side of a losing argument? If so, seek help.

Yes, this is not an answer to my post, and thus, the argument has now become contradiction. You are now just taking the opposite position without explanation. I have already addressed this, you chose not to listen. Furthermore, you chose not to convey a counterargument. So what am I to make of the above? Are you just posting for no other reason than to trick yourself into thinking you’re on the right side of a losing argument? If so, seek help.

This is what we call psycho-babble.

In reality, you're being called to the floor for whining, and you have no merit behind your whine.

[

I'm still waiting to see how it was "wrong".

There simply isn't a rule that you HAVE to name ships after war heroes.

This is about your dislike for Ms. Giffords, not about whether the name of a ship matters.

The only reason the ship is named after her is because she was shot. If thats the criteria then put my name on a ship, or better yet, one of us who didn't make it back and whose name will be forgotton long before that of Giffords.

Forum List

Back