🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ugly Americans down in Rio.

The shocking thing is it was done by white people. Dirty fucking monkeys? Well, that would make total sense.

You know, the term "ugly American" has been around at least since 1983 when I first encountered it when I was in Europe. It's a term used to describe people from the USA that act like they are still in the USA, and expect people to speak English as well as act like they are better than those of the country they are in, simply because they are American.

I've seen ugly Americans. I've seen what they do and the ramifications of their actions on everyone on the ship. Back in the late 90's, my ship pulled into Thessaloniki Greece, and the guys in the AirDet decided to go out, get drunk and raise hell the first night in port. A few of them were running around with their shirts off acting like asses.

Know what the town did? All the bars got together the NEXT DAY and decided that if an American sailor was to come into their bar, they had to be with a female, believing that the women would keep the guys in line, and it was that way for the whole port visit we were there.

Fortunately for me, I've always worked very hard to not project such an image, and that same afternoon, I stopped in a sporting goods place looking for a certain type of rollerblade. Well, the shop didn't have my size, but she asked if I was serious about buying them, and I said yeah. She then called another shop she owned and they had my size, so for the next half hour my shipmate and I had coffee with her while waiting. I asked her where a good rock and roll place was and she got a business card, wrote something in Greek on it, and told us to go to the Libido bar, find a guy by the name of Antonio, and give him the card. We did later that evening (before the AirDet started tearing up the town), and he said we were welcome there any time and we didn't have to pay cover charges while we were there.

So, bottom line, while the rest of the ship was coming home at 10 or 11, me and my friends were out partying in that nightclub until 4 in the morning each night. And, the really cool thing is those I brought with me got into the club for free as well.

Never have played the part of ugly American. It's too easy to get into trouble.

And............if you act respectful and polite to the people in another country, realizing that YOU are the foreigner, as well as carry a phrase book around with you will get you lots of benefits.

You know, the term "ugly American" has been around at least since 1983 when I first encountered it when I was in Europe. It's a term used to describe people from the USA that act like they are still in the USA, and expect people to speak English as well as act like they are better than those of the country they are in, simply because they are American.

I've seen ugly Americans. I've seen what they do and the ramifications of their actions on everyone on the ship. Back in the late 90's, my ship pulled into Thessaloniki Greece, and the guys in the AirDet decided to go out, get drunk and raise hell the first night in port. A few of them were running around with their shirts off acting like asses.

Know what the town did? All the bars got together the NEXT DAY and decided that if an American sailor was to come into their bar, they had to be with a female, believing that the women would keep the guys in line, and it was that way for the whole port visit we were there.

Fortunately for me, I've always worked very hard to not project such an image, and that same afternoon, I stopped in a sporting goods place looking for a certain type of rollerblade. Well, the shop didn't have my size, but she asked if I was serious about buying them, and I said yeah. She then called another shop she owned and they had my size, so for the next half hour my shipmate and I had coffee with her while waiting. I asked her where a good rock and roll place was and she got a business card, wrote something in Greek on it, and told us to go to the Libido bar, find a guy by the name of Antonio, and give him the card. We did later that evening (before the AirDet started tearing up the town), and he said we were welcome there any time and we didn't have to pay cover charges while we were there.

So, bottom line, while the rest of the ship was coming home at 10 or 11, me and my friends were out partying in that nightclub until 4 in the morning each night. And, the really cool thing is those I brought with me got into the club for free as well.

Never have played the part of ugly American. It's too easy to get into trouble.

And............if you act respectful and polite to the people in another country, realizing that YOU are the foreigner, as well as carry a phrase book around with you will get you lots of benefits.
Great post, sounds like you had your act together.

Now if you would just stop with the sashaying.....

The shocking thing is it was done by white people. Dirty fucking monkeys? Well, that would make total sense.
Are you being serious?
Then again, it is true too. So, go figure.
No, it is not and you know it. lol
If I said looting and rioting....

I have not seen much of that done by whites, Mexicans, Asians, Jews etc etc etc. Have you?

Only one group, one seems to be drawn to that.

You know, if Lochte wants to really fix this, he should fly back to Rio, go over to the store owners and apologize, and then stroke a check to cover the damages and have it covered by the news.

Probably never happen though, he appears too arrogant to be humble.

The athletes were an embarrassment. They screwed up and represented America very badly. They'll pay a stiff price for what they did. Brazil will recover. End of story.

I've seen ugly Americans.

The term 'ugly Americans' is a denigration against America. You never hear 'ugly Brits' or 'ugly Canadians' even though there are Brits and Canadians who are ugly.

Actually, Canadians are quite polite travelers and don't think that just because they are from Canada that they are better than everyone else and that everyone in the countries they go to is somehow inferior to them. Neither do the Brits that I've met over in the Med. They are quite friendly and polite as well, with a very good hospitality that they extend to people they meet.

Americans? Well, not everyone has the mentality that they are better than everyone else, but many do, and that's not good to spit on the locals when in a foreign land. YOU are the foreigner, not them.

And yeah, like I've said, I've been stationed with a few ugly Americans. Those are people that never went on liberty with me because I didn't want problems.

And ugly Americans are easy to spot overseas. They are the ones that walk up to the locals and ask "do you speak English (or American)", and when the person shakes their head, they say it again, only slower and louder.

The smart travelers are the ones that carry phrase books with them and use them.

The term 'ugly Americans' is a denigration against America. You never hear 'ugly Brits' or 'ugly Canadians' even though there are Brits and Canadians who are ugly.

Actually, Canadians are quite polite travelers and don't think that just because they are from Canada that they are better than everyone else and that everyone in the countries they go to is somehow inferior to them. Neither do the Brits that I've met over in the Med. They are quite friendly and polite as well, with a very good hospitality that they extend to people they meet.

Americans? Well, not everyone has the mentality that they are better than everyone else, but many do, and that's not good to spit on the locals when in a foreign land. YOU are the foreigner, not them.

And yeah, like I've said, I've been stationed with a few ugly Americans. Those are people that never went on liberty with me because I didn't want problems.

And ugly Americans are easy to spot overseas. They are the ones that walk up to the locals and ask "do you speak English (or American)", and when the person shakes their head, they say it again, only slower and louder.

The smart travelers are the ones that carry phrase books with them and use them.
Not the fucking French.

Are you being serious?
Then again, it is true too. So, go figure.
No, it is not and you know it. lol
If I said looting and rioting....

I have not seen much of that done by whites, Mexicans, Asians, Jews etc etc etc. Have you?

Only one group, one seems to be drawn to that.
Only one group is being provoked and told it is right for them to do it, too.

When we had the defense of Europe at the end of WW2, we were pretty arrogant and walked with big steps, you might say.

We kind of earned that moniker, and things like that stick.

The first time I heard the words “ugly American/s” to describe any of the American swimmers was in The New York Post, Friday, August 19, 2016 edition. The front page showed a picture of Ryan Lochte with the large-letter Caption: “THE UGLY AMERICAN.” Also included with the photo were the words, “Liar, liar, Speedo on fire.” Here's the link:

Ryan Lochte Blasted As ‘Ugly American’ On ‘NY Post Cover’ Over Robbery Scandal

When the New York Post called Ryan Lochte the ugly American, I thought they were referring to The Ugly American, a 1958 a runaway bestselling book by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer. The book, which was fictional but bore a powerful resemblance to the political realities of the times, described American arrogance, incompetence and corruption in Southeast Asia. Like the Americans in the book, Lochte felt superior to those around him and thought he could do whatever he wanted with no fear of consequences. After all, Lochte was an American, a gold medal winner; a better man than the peons around him, or so he thought. Now that he has seen the tide of public opinion turn against him and realizes he has lost a fortune in potential endorsements perhaps he will become a tad more modest. I said perhaps.

Forum List

Back