UK : Brutal Rape Trial

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013

Ryan Lafferty, from Millerston, subjected the 19-year-old woman to a horrific attack in Lilybank Gardens, near Ashton Lane, on 19 May 2012.

The 23-year-old grabbed his victim from behind, before repeatedly punching and dragging her along the ground.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Lafferty's victim had left her course and was being treated for depression.

Jailing him, judge Lady Scott told Lafferty: "This was the kind of violent assault which puts all women in fear of going out at night and robs them of their freedom of movement."

The judge noted that the 19-year-old student was a passing stranger.

BBC News - Ryan Lafferty jailed for brutal rape of Glasgow student

I am perplexed as to why you think this is a news item worthy of discussion: this is a typical rape scenario which takes place all over the world many times over on a daily basis. Unfortunately.

A very typical rape incident. The only thing of note here is the suggestion of hyperbole in the headline. Yes, this was a brutal rape, but very typical. Most rapes are brutal. He was caught and got eight years: that's typical too.

So, what is there to discuss?

It wasn't even a particularly brutal rape. Rihanna gets worse from her boyfriend and she's still with him.

The rapist got 8 years. He'll probably serve 2 or 3. I know someone who got ten years for rape and served 3, first offense. That's typical too, unfortunately. Rape is usually a very brutal crime. Notice, in the article, where it says he beat her when she screamed. When she stopped screaming, he stopped beating her. That's why women are told it's better not to scream and fight back, because it puts you in more danger if you do. But, if a woman doesn't scream and fight back, she's accused of being some kind of willing participant or something, or not being bothered much by it, something stupid.

Last edited:
from the link:
"LONDON: British police on Sunday arrested a man in connection with online threats made toward a feminist campaigner, a case which has ignited calls for social media platforms to institute stronger protections against verbal abuse.

Caroline Criado-Perez says she has been facing a deluge of abuse ” including threats to rape and kill her ” over Twitter during the past several days. She said the threats started after her campaign to get a woman's picture on a UK bank note succeeded and resulted in the Bank of England's announcement last week that author Jane Austen will feature on England's new 10-pound notes."

I think that's something you see in the UK, that someone can be arrested for something they post on the internet. I don't think in the US someone would be arrested for rape threats posted online. I could be wrong.

And the death and rape threats are about a woman's picture being on the new ten pound note: how bizarre. Definitely don't think that is something that would happen in the US. Differences in culture.

Last edited:
I am perplexed as to why you think this is a news item worthy of discussion: this is a typical rape scenario which takes place all over the world many times over on a daily basis. Unfortunately.

A very typical rape incident. The only thing of note here is the suggestion of hyperbole in the headline. Yes, this was a brutal rape, but very typical. Most rapes are brutal. He was caught and got eight years: that's typical too.

So, what is there to discuss?

8 years is pretty decent, but he won't do even half of that.

If he was over here, the judge would tell him that he must set an example to show that if you commit rape, you are going to jailed for a lengthy period of time, blah blah, and sentence him to 2 years jail, suspended after 6 months.

No kidding. Our justice system, when it comes to rape, is third world.

Forum List

Back