UK Four Day Work Week Experiment: Can It Work Here?

It's super easy, when you pay more than your competitors. ;)

But I get it.
We are in the midst of a historic building boom around here. Everyone who can hold a hammer is already employed. If it were possible I would hire at least three more tomorrow,

I've been saying for a while that it is just a matter of time before we have a 35, or even a 30, hour work week.

While automation has eliminated a lot of jobs, it has greatly increased worker production.

We are manufacturing more stuff than ever, but using less workers to do it.

We are mining more stuff than ever, but using far less workers to do it.

We are producing more food than ever, but using less workers to do it. At the time of the ratification of the Constitution, 98 percent of Americans were in the agricultural sector. Today, we feed the world with just 2 percent of our labor force.

The UK recently performed an experiment where some companies reduced their work week to four days, while paying the workers the same salary.

It was a resounding success, and the companies involved plan on continuing the four day work week even though the experiment is over.

I think it is time we thing about doing the same thing here in the US.
No. Things actually have to get done in the US and we don't take beer breaks.

Please read before commenting. You might be surprised.
I didn't miss ary a damn thing, moron. Try doing something that is time-sensitive, you might be surprised.

Hold up, lemme think of something...

Okay, pouring and finishing a concrete slab. You're not going to do that on Friday even though it was raining Thursday and you couldn't, moron?

Kick your dumbass self right in the ass for me 1 time, TIA!

We need everyone everyday. I really don't mind working all those hours. The difference is that we are 100% productive every hour we are there. It's not like office workers who apparently waste a lot of time.
And that is why the United States used to be the best for making things. But then along came the Marxist/Demcorats who had to give free shit to people to stay home.

depends on what kind of 4 day week you’re talking about. 4 - 10 hour days? I’m fine with that, but 4 - 8 hour days? Not so much.

Yes, automation is helping us produce more and more, but costs are not going down, and things are getting more and more expensive and the government keeps taxing more and more.

You have some jobs where a 4 day week doesn’t work, and they have to work 5 and 6 days a week.

If you reduce “normal” jobs to 32 hours a week, that means people are bringing in less money to pay for things that are going up in price, which means ultimately the government will have to step in and subsidize their income, while the people working 5 and 6 days a week will be making enough money to afford those things.

If the government uses income caps for those subsidies, it means the people working more days end up getting screwed because they are in a job that requires more time.

You have some jobs where a 4 day week doesn’t work, and they have to work 5 and 6 days a week
*if they don't hire more help

That can be said about any job. Get rid of some of my department, and it would take 80 hours to do my portion.

That's the thing, here. It is being found that reducing the hours worked by 20% does NOT result in 20% less productivity.

We are in the midst of a historic building boom around here. Everyone who can hold a hammer is already employed. If it were possible I would hire at least three more tomorrow,

That's impossible, the MAGAGATARDS keep saying that the economy the last 2 years has been horrific!

Forum List

Back