UK Four Day Work Week Experiment: Can It Work Here?

100% wrong. The janitor is as necessary as anyone in the company. He or she may be more easily replaced due to having a larger pool of candidates, but the janitor is just as necessary.

And yes, the janitor contributes to the bottom line.
No he’s not. Without the skilled labor you don’t have a company.

No it ain't that at all. 3 of those days are a full crew. If you needed job done faster it would go on overtime or hire more people or both. Same if job wasn't getting done on 40 hours/week.
Jesus H Christ, is there a fucking math class you passed in school?

Doesn't work in the trades. Most of us barely get away with 5 day weeks. Hard deadlines and seasonal weather conditions mean a construction site is busy just about every day of the week.

It does in some cases.
I worked a four day week as a machinist.
While it was nice having three day weekends it turned out they wanted you to work on Friday a lot.

It does in some cases.
I worked a four day week as a machinist.
While it was nice having three day weekends it turned out they wanted you to work on Friday a lot.
We once tried to go to 4 10 hour days. The boss forgot. He looked around on Friday, saw the job sites deserted and freaked out. Apparently home owners don't like to pull up and not see anyone building their house.

We once tried to go to 4 10 hour days. The boss forgot. He looked around on Friday, saw the job sites deserted and freaked out. Apparently home owners don't like to pull up and not see anyone building their house.

As long as you're putting in the same time I dont see the issue.
But then dealing with the customer I can see where it might become an issue.
Hell,I rarely worked a 40 hour week late in my career,all they cared about was getting the jobs out on time.
As long as that happened they didnt care if I left early.

Thats for corporate office jobs. Lots of people want to work 60 plus hours a week.
I sure worked my share of 50-60 hour weeks over my career. I don't know how many people want to do that now. The 20-30 somethings sure don't want any part of that, I see very little work ethic in that generation.

Says a dumbass that can NOT do math and believes in stolen election.
I’m good enough to know not only can’t you get a job done in the same time working three days instead of five you moron. I can also add up two days of overtime to work five days is more expensive.

I sure worked my share of 50-60 hour weeks over my career. I don't know how many people want to do that now. The 20-30 somethings sure don't want any part of that, I see very little work ethic in that generation.
But they still want the big house and new cars. It makes no sense at all.

Edit: Not want, damn it they DESERVE that stuff.

*if they don't hire more help

That can be said about any job. Get rid of some of my department, and it would take 80 hours to do my portion.

That's the thing, here. It is being found that reducing the hours worked by 20% does NOT result in 20% less productivity.
I understand that, but there are some jobs where hiring more people doesn’t fix the fact that the job requires a 5 to 6 day work week. Remember, there are jobs where people work away from home. Often, it’s just not feasible to bring them home early and send someone out in their place.

Hiring more people would mean more expense for lower production in some cases. For example, what if you have a company that runs Monday - Friday 8 hours a day. You will cut your employees back 4 days at 8 hours a day. Now you are losing 8 hours of production per week, per employee. If you have 100 employees, you’ve lost 800 hours of production each week. To recoup that, you’d have to hire 100 more employees just to work one - 8 hour day per week.

Nobody is going to work just 1 day a week, so that employer loses that production. Granted, they are saving on labor, but that’s not going to make up the production they lost.

Last edited:
No it ain't that at all. 3 of those days are a full crew. If you needed job done faster it would go on overtime or hire more people or both. Same if job wasn't getting done on 40 hours/week.
Lemme guess, you're one of those clowns that feels if it takes one person 40 hours to do a job, 10 people can do it in 4 hours.

Doesn't work in the trades. Most of us barely get away with 5 day weeks. Hard deadlines and seasonal weather conditions mean a construction site is busy just about every day of the week.

If only it were that easy to hire a good carpenter. We do high-end custom beach houses. Run of the mill nail pounders are just not suitable for what we do.
WTF….you’re a construction hand? There’s leftist construction hands? WTF…..even here in Mexifornia one would be hard-pressed to find a lefty in construction.

WTF….you’re a construction hand? There’s leftist construction hands? WTF…..even here in Mexifornia one would be hard-pressed to find a lefty in construction.
Construction hand? Hardly. I am a master woodworker/furniture builder/artist. My stuff has appeared in national magazines with clients you've heard of.

I work four days a week. And yes they’re all 8 hour shifts. I choose to do so. I make enough I can do it without any hardship. I work to live, not live to work.

But no one’s forcing anyone to work five days a week. Everyone’s free to negotiate their schedule or else quit and find a job that matches their wants.

Take a group of 9 CEOs and 1 janitor.

Who is the only honest person? The janitor
Who knows how to actually work? The janitor.
Who knows how a building actually works? The janitor.
Who does everyone like and admire? The janitor
Problem somewhere? Something broken? Who to call? The janitor.

One does not need to work 50 to 60 hours to have a work ethic. You have been brainwashed into thinking you have to give more of your life to your job than to anything else.

I have been there and done that. Worked 70 hour weeks for more than 2 years. It is what drove me to get my Masters and get out of that grind. Other things in my life are important.

Forum List

Back