🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Unofficial RCMP 'sissy' memo a sign of toxic work environment, women say

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
RCMP just one of the trinity +1 (I could add 2). Another lawsuit with more detailed about how messed up they are. Just an embarrassment in Canada and beyond, bullies, and the covert, nameless cowards who get away with it. Unprofessional, unreliable rat bast.ards/

We also have covert TPS, OPP and CSIS who have turned Canada into a shytehole. Without NAFTA and us exploiting American businesses and workers, Ontario would have already have been in receivership some time ago.

Unofficial RCMP 'sissy' memo a sign of toxic work environment, women say

Several women involved in a sexual harassment and discrimination case against the RCMP say that a mocking, unofficial memo left in the mailboxes of female employees exemplifies what they say has been a sexist, toxic culture at Canada's national police force.

The document is now being submitted as evidence by women filing claims for compensation under a RCMP harassment and discrimination class-action settled last year.

CBC News obtained a copy of the one-page "Hurt Feelings Report" left in the mailboxes of a handful of women at the RCMP a few years ago.

Using graphic language, the report asks recipients to fill out the name of the "little sissy" filing the report, as well as identify whether they are "thin skinned," a "pussy," "queer," a "cry baby" or "all of the above."

"It's disgusting. Whether it was five years ago or it's five years in the future or it's now, there is no place for this in the workforce," said Linda Gillis Davidson, one of the two representative plaintiffs who first brought the class-action lawsuit. She did so on behalf of all women on the force dating back to 1974, when the force first began accepting female police officers.

Gillis Davidson retired after 29 years, having risen to the rank of inspector serving in border enforcement, human resources and protective detail for the Prime Minister.

She said she felt "queasy" when CBC showed her the document, which she'd never seen until this week.

"I don't think it's funny and I don't think it's a joke. I don't think it should ever have been written by anyone male or female," she said.

Viewed as threat

Class-action lawyer Megan McPhee told CBC she has heard from women on the force in different provinces who received the memo during their careers. They felt it was a veiled threat from male colleagues, mocking them for speaking out.

"One claimant had indicated that she had experienced harassment over some time and upon sticking up for herself and resisting the harassment, she was provided with a Hurt Feelings Report," McPhee said.

"It's one of the things that we're hoping is going to stop and will change at the RCMP."

The RCMP declined to answer questions about the Hurt Feelings Report or whether anyone on the force has ever been investigated or reprimanded for distributing it.

In a formal apology on behalf of the force in October 2016, then-Commissioner Bob Paulson conceded the RCMP's work culture was horrible for some women. The apology was part of an agreement to settle two class-action suits over gender discrimination and sexual harassment

"Instead of succeeding and thriving in a supportive and inclusive workplace, many women have suffered careers scarred by gender and sexual discrimination, bullying and harassment," Paulson said.

Since then, the RCMP said it has launched a number of initiatives, hired more women and set up advisory bodies nationally — and at divisions across the country — on issues of "gender, sexual orientation, harassment, equity and inclusivity."

CBC asked specifically what kind of anti-sexual harassment training the RCMP had undertaken. In an emailed statement, RCMP spokesperson Harold Pfleiderer said that since 2013, more than 37,000 RCMP employees have completed an online "Respectful Workplace" training course.

In addition, the RCMP has delivered a course on workplace violence to 29,000 civilian and uniformed staff.

The RCMP said the training is typically done only once, but that it is working to "strengthen" its anti-harassment training at the RCMP Academy and in ongoing courses offered to existing employees.

Dubious training

Janet Merlo, the second plaintiff involved in the class-action suits, told CBC that before she left the force in 2010, staff seldom took mandatory training seriously.

I swear I replied to this thread but my reply was deleted.

That kind of stuff is hostile and toxic, given, but under a criminal justice system that charges, tries, and punishes male defendants almost exclusively, women have little room to cry discrimination.

Forum List

Back