Upcoming Israeli Elections

Arab MK injured in clashes in Umm al-Fahm

MK Yousef Jabareen (Joint List) was injured on Friday by a rubber bullet in clashes that broke out during a protest in Umm al-Fahm against the violence in the Arab sector.

At least 35 people were injured in the violence. 10 of them were evacuated to Haemek Hospital in Afula. Dr. Samir Subhi, the mayor of Umm al-Fahm, was also injured in the riots.

720898.jpg

Last edited:
Mohammad Magadli: A brawl (literally beatings) at a meeting of the Arab Joint List campaign team tonight.

Background: Debate over the slogan.

Last edited:
I thought this might be an interesting thread to start. What are the primary concerns of the average Israeli in this election? Who do you think will do well? What coalitions are likely? What rabbits will Netanyahu pull from his hat to hang on to power?

Haaretz has a link to "build your own coalition" - based on current polling that's kind of fun:
Latest polls: Israel election 2019

Blue and White party and Likud are neck and neck.

Blue and White

The party was established to run in the April 2019 Knesset elections by the Israel Resilience Party, Yesh Atid, and Telem, [8] in hopes of defeating the current PM Benjamin Netanyahu. Blue and White defines itself as a pluralistic party representing all citizens on the political and religious spectrums.[9] The phrase "blue and white" refers to the colors of the Israeli flag, and is colloquially used to describe something as being typically Israeli.[10]

The central tenets of the Blue and White party platform include: introducing prime ministerial term limits, barring indicted politicians from serving in the Knesset, amending the Nation-State Law to include Israeli minorities, investing in early education, expanding health care, and re-entering negotiations with the Palestinian Authority for a peace agreement.[11]

It's hard to find a good description of Likud's platform, but this is from 2015 and seems pretty clear:

Likud
Position in the polls: 22-27
English website: onlythelikud.org.il/home/

Diplomatic platform: Party leader Netanyahu says the next government’s priority must be preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear capability, by turning world opinion in favor of maintaining and expanding economic and diplomatic sanctions against Tehran. The Likud is willing to make compromises for peace – concessions accompanied by real and dependable diplomatic arrangements. But Netanyahu has spoken out against further withdrawals from land, further releases of terrorists from prisons or dividing Jerusalem in any way.

Socioeconomic platform:
Calls for a “free market economy with social sensitivity.” Says that to remain competitive in a global market, there is a need for budgetary discipline, lowering taxes, an effectively managed stock market and growth of the private sector. Netanyahu promised on Wednesday that in his next term, he would implement State Comptroller Joseph Shapira’s recommendations for ending the housing crisis and improve benefits for the self-employed.​

This is from the April Elections but gives an interesting synopsis of each party:

More than a dozen parties could make the next Knesset. Here’s a short description of each of them.

The front-runners:

Likud, Israel’s right-wing flagship, and Netanyahu’s party, opposes a Palestinian state, supports settlements and encourages privatization in the economy — but its main selling point is the longtime prime minister, who is seeking his fifth term.

Blue and White is a new centrist coalition led by a former military chief of staff, Benny Gantz. It was created to oppose Netanyahu and his alleged corruption.

Supporting actors on the right:

The New Right is kind of like Likud on steroids: Led by the prominent figures Naftali Bennett and Ayelet Shaked, the party staunchly opposes Palestinian statehood and supports settlement growth, and features a very hawkish defense policy — what its platform calls an “iron fist” against Israel’s enemies.

Jewish Home-Jewish Power is the controversial union between a religious Zionist party and a far-right party, also known as Otzma Yehudit, that supports implementing religious law and waging “total war” on Israel’s enemies.

Israel Beiteinu champions the interests of Russian-speaking immigrants, along with a hard-line defense policy that calls for the execution of terrorists.

Kulanu is a center-right party focused on lowering Israel’s high cost of living.

Zehut is an unusual mix: libertarian — and in favor of marijuana legalization — but strongly against Palestinian statehood and Arab-Israeli equality.

Supporting actors on the left:

Labor is the sad trombone of Israeli politics. Once the left-wing flagship and largest party in the country, it’s now an also-ran to Blue and White.

Meretz is about as far left as you can go while remaining Zionist, supporting a Palestinian state alongside Israel along with minority rights and religious pluralism within Israel.

Haredi Orthodox:

United Torah Judaism is the Ashkenazi haredi party — the guys (they’re all guys) who support Orthodox control of Israel’s religious life, oppose mandatory army service for their followers and speak Yiddish.

Shas is the Sephardi haredi party — the guys (again, all guys) who stand for religious traditionalism as well as the rights of Israel’s Mizrahi (Middle Eastern and North African) Jewish population.

Arab Israeli:

Hadash-Taal supports Palestinian statehood and advocates for Israel’s Arab minority.

Balad-Raam supports Israel being a secular state for all its citizens and no longer a Jewish state.

— Ben Sales
Is there a movie version?

Gantz associate urges him to quit race

Hod Betzer, close associate of Blue and White chairman, reportedly removed from party campaign after urging Gantz not to run.

994227.jpg

Hod Betzer, a close associate of Blue and White chairman Benny Gantz who has accompanied him since his first day in politics, recently called on Gantz to quit the race for the 24th Knesset, Channel 12 News reported on Friday.

According to the report, Betzer made clear to Gantz that he believes he is taking a huge risk in continuing to run and should step down. In the wake of this, Channel 12 said, Betzer has been removed from the Blue and White campaign.

Blue and White said in response to the report, “You can continue to spread gossip and folk tales - but the fact is simple: it's either Gantz now or Bibi forever. And to our political opponents - if you do not help in uniting the camp, the least you can do is not interfere and help stop Bibi from trying to evade trial."

While Blue and White did not pass the electoral threshold in early polls, polls released in recent days showed it winning between 4 and 5 seats in the next Knesset.

Gantz has been pressured to step down by parties on the center-left who fear that his remaining in the race will result in voted being lost should he not pass the electoral threshold.

Abu Ghosh Council Chairman Salim Jaber to Channel 7 "You should have made Netanyahu king"

The head of the Abu Ghosh Council, Salim Jaber, is hosted by the Channel 7 studio, talks about the history of the connection between the residents of Abu Ghosh and the Jewish people and the State of Israel and refers to the political arena in which the Arab voice finds itself repeated by the Likud and other Jewish parties.

Abu Ghosh has been known for its good relations with the Jewish founders since the beginning of the 18th century. Abu Ghosh maintained a very good neighborhood with Kibbutz Kiryat Anavim, with Ma'ale Hahamisha with Neve Ilan and the Jews who would come. -19 ".

"Abu Ghosh did not oppose the establishment of the state and thought it would bring technology and agriculture to the entire Middle East. This was the evidence of the Abu Ghosh sages and after the establishment of the state Abu Ghosh continued with good neighborly relations. We were educated to respect every religion and every person. "But Abu Ghosh remained and survived. It was not easy. It was very difficult because all of Abu Ghosh's elite crossed the border and were with King Abdullah, there were ambassadors and ministers from Abu Ghosh and when the state was established there were no teachers to teach in Abu Ghosh because of the military administration." "I was an Iraqi Jew and so were all the teachers. My teacher was called Rachel-Rachel and she was the one who taught me the religion of Islam and the Koran," says Jaber.

Jaber further notes that "today there are over a hundred Jewish families in Abu Ghosh. Some have lands and houses and some have rented houses. Under my house a Jew has rented an entire floor from me and from there he has kosher catering that is marketed for events all over the country."

He said, "Jews in Abu Ghosh feel a more loyal place to Jews than any city in the State of Israel in terms of security. The people of Abu Ghosh guard the Jews and everyone who comes to Abu Ghosh and ensure that no one is harmed in Abu Ghosh."

On the feelings on the Arab street ahead of the election and in light of the changes in the joint list and Netanyahu's attempts to gather votes in the sector, Jaber was asked what are the considerations guiding the Arab voter when he went to the polls. "Today the media and social networks open their heads and every citizen knows what is happening. Every person in the world looks at what is good for him and in Abu Ghosh and in the Arab sector in general what is worthwhile and what is good for me, am I an Arab who does not want to vote for a Zionist party "And for education and culture. Today the consideration is what is good for my population and my family. That is what concerns the Arab citizen."

"They said that Bennett was nationalist and right-wing, but a few years ago we had a disaster in Abu Ghosh and Bennett who was then education minister was the only one who came from the Knesset to comfort the family and stayed there for seven hours. ".

On the educational revolution that Bennett caused in Abu Ghosh, he says: "Four years ago we had the lowest matriculation rate in Israel and the highest violence rate in Israel. The Minister of Education came to check what was happening and decided to give priority to Abu Ghosh because we are the gateway to Israel. "A place of tourism and cooperation. If there is no education and education we will learn thieves and swindlers. Therefore education is very very important to us and in what he did Bennett saved the village from crime, drug trafficking and theft, and now we have academics and not cheaters and thieves."

Jaber says that one of his goals in running for office was to leverage education in Abu Ghosh, "and we made a big change in the two and a half years that I am mayor. We have raised eligibility from 33 percent to 75 percent eligibility in two months."

In his remarks, Jaber expresses support for MK Mansour Abbas' view that he does not deny support for Netanyahu either, if this helps the Arab sector. "I take my hat off to him and say Shalom to him even though I am not voting for him. That is the right way and that is the right thought."

Jaber himself is a member of the Likud Center but says he is not happy with the conduct of his party, which does not devote budgets to the council for development, tourism and more, "so we are a little angry. I know it is because of the Knesset and local government elections.

According to him, "Bibi is the smartest prime minister. Sharon was a bulldozer and I salute him, but the State of Israel should appoint Bibi king for what he did for the State of Israel. "He circled Putin on his little finger, made Trump chase him, so all European and Arab countries. He did all this for the State of Israel and the Jews and they are investigating him about a box of cigars. It is a shame."

Last edited:
Labor leader on Supreme Court ruling:
"The story is behind us now"

Who's Who in the Israeli Elections | Part 1: Meet the Leaders

Mizrachi invites you to meet the party leaders ahead of the upcoming elections:
  • Naftali Bennett, Yamina
  • Gila Gamliel, Likud
  • Benny Gantz, Blue & White
  • Yair Lapid, Yesh Atid
  • Merav Michaeli, Labor
  • Yitzchak Pindrus, UTJ
  • Gideon Sa'ar, New Hope
  • Bezalel Smotrich, Religious Zionists

Likud MK. Ayoob Kara: This election is about Arab voters

Ayoob Kara, a Druze member of the Likud, says that the Abraham Accords have changed hearts and minds in the Arab voter bloc.

You don't need to know Hebrew
to understand much about the relationship between the Israeli media and PM Netanyahu.

Throughout the whole interview one can hear the team screaming in Rina Matzliah's ear,
at some point (22:55) PM Netanyahu asks her to lower it down and focus.

Just notice the body language, beginning, middle
and especially the very last seconds of the video...

Can't make this up - protesters against Netanyahu sue organizers for promised salaries

Att. Gur representing Gadi Tahar, of the of the main faces of protest in front of PM Netanyahu's house, in an interview to Kineret Brashi about the lawsuit: "The money came in large packages and for about five months". Raising questions specifically regarding the role of various foreign NGO's as source of funding.

Beside the comic effect, this is huge,
and not even because they protested the Covid grants as "unemployed"....

Last edited:
Islamist Ra'am Party Passes Threshold & Shakes Up Israel's Election

Last edited:
Gideon Sa'ar's Chametz

Passover is all about deflating your ego...
ie getting rid of your internal chametz...or bread that rises.

I think it will not be too surprisingly when Netanyahu will become the prime minister again. I have read though that to form a coalition he will need the seats of one of Arab blocs. I wonder whether it is possible and what the reaction of his voters will be.

"We need an alternative to elections"
Kalman Livskind interviews historian Dr. Yigal Bin Nun

Livskind: We're saying Shalom to the historian Dr. Yigal Bin Nun. We'd like to discuss Your recent article in Haaretz, where You suggest, maybe, to stop with this thing called Democracy. Among other things You write: "if Netanyahu's rule is an achievement, there's no need to bring examples of dark rules which came to power through democratic elections". That's is?

Dr. Yigal Bin Nun: You've taken the example that interests You, but the situation is much wider. Yes right I've written that. The question is wider, it's not only connected to Netanyahu, or only Israel, the question being asked to all the world. The question is - whether to govern a state or states in the world, in most optimal manner, the tool at our dispense for this called democracy, meaning to turn towards the public with questions it has no answers to, whether this is the correct way? I'm saying today, democracy has bankrupted, there's a need to entirely forsake it, put it aside idea wise, or even kick it thought-wise if want, and think about ways appropriate to our reality.

Liv: Intentionally, I've brought up Netanyahu, because he's our issue, and because we're on the night of elections, so I'm trying to learn from him, or from You, that something doesn't work here. There were elections, Netanyahu was chosen, what's wrong?

Nun: What's wrong? The mere fact of elections, the fact of their existence, and especially for the 4th time, this means the system has totally failed, and we have to leave it.

Liv: Why?
Nun: Because if approach the public with pictures of Netanyahu, pictures of other contendants, and tell it - You vote for this picture that a designer created, or for that slogan made up by a copyrighter, we reach absurdity that has no connection to managing a state. It's a bad joke.
Liv: No Dr. Bin Nun, we know You don't like Netanyahu, and You want him to leave us,
which is totally fine.
Nun: No don't say it's fine, I didn't say that, and neither do You.
Let's leave the theme of Netanyahu.
Liv: Right, I didn't says, but You said at least on Your facebook page. And that's legitimate. What I'm wondering, could it be that You've tried all the possible democratic ways to move Netanyahu, and since it didn't go, because there's this 'multitude' like that voting for him. And You said- let's change the system, enough of democracy already.

Nun: Yes, I'm saying the democratic system, not only regarding Netanyahu, regarding any other contender, is't good, because people are required to answer questions or situations they have no idea about. The question whether approaching the entire nation, a lot of things folks don't understand, and it doesn't matter, can be a professor or a hairdresser or a fashion designer, it's the same.
Liv: No, it's not the same thing. You're hurting in Your article, the rebellion declared by the 'populous classes' as You call them, against the elites.
Nun: That's one of the examples, that indeed it's possible to use this wrong system called democracy, for populist and negative needs, which is demagoguery and it was done also in the past.
Liv: But why demagoguery, the population goes out and votes for whom they want. When You write that: "Do millions of citizens who vote according irrational considerations, should decide the fate of all and the fate of the state?". It seems You're the one motivated by irrational considerations.
Nun: Correct, is that rational to vote for a picture?
Liv: No, not for a picture, You maybe vote for a picture, I vote for the list to the Knesset.
Nun: A list to the Knesset?
Liv: Yes, yes.
Nun: You say 'list to the Knesset', but people don't know what stands behind these words.
Liv: What does that mean?
Nun: No one knows, and neither do You.
Liv: I see Binyamin Netanyahu, I see Betzalel Smotrich, I see Ayman Oudeh and I decide for whom among them I want to vote.
Nun: No You don't know what stands behind every list, and no one can know people see a picture. People see an image, it's like we're almost dealing with magic, not something rational.
Liv: So what do You want to take our right to vote?
Nun: Think a little.

Liv: To take our right to vote and give it to whom?
Nun: To no one. First we have to throw out this system and begin thinking.

Liv: Threw it out.
Nun: Oh! If say 'threw out', then You can tell Yourself, once put that aside, let's see how can we buid an alternative most appropriate for today's reality.
Liv: Reality in which Dr. Bin Nun who will choose the Prime Minister? You don't want the populous. So who should?

Nun: Don't bring politics into this.
Liv: But eventually it's politics, someone has to choose people and close deals.
Nun: You're lowering the level of the discourse in vain, let's not talk politics, let't talk fundamental issues, don't go so low. The cardinal question says - whether in the situation to which the world reached, record achievements in science and every aspect of life, the situation in the world today is the best one can imagine, the situation of Israel today is best it was compared to 30, 20, 10 years ago.

Liv: Whom do You want to choose the leaders?
Nun: Again I'm saying! No to choosing leaders! Leave that! You're not listening.

Liv: So I don't understand You.
Nun: The elections don't fit our reality today, I'm not for that.
Liv: What does fit?
Nun: Democracy is elections, I don't want elections.
Liv: What do You want instead?

Nun: Oh, now the joker.
Liv: We've reached the joker literally at the end, if You can in short.
Nun: There's no short way.We need to do it wisely, not in short, then You'll fall in trap and start talking about in who's favor are You, Netanyahu or someone else.
Liv: So let's not waste time, maybe after all try in short.
Nun: To think, mind, not pictures, not jingles. And if gathered people to sit and think about an alternative to our unique situation today, not the one in the past, then we can reach a correct alternative.

Liv: Ok Dr. Bin Nun, we'll write down that homework and we'll think.
Dr. Bin Nun thank You.
Nun: Thank You.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back