UPS To Order 10,000 Electric Vans, with Option To Order Additional 10,000

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
Delivery giant UPS has ordered 10,000 electric trucks from Arrival, a technology company based in the UK. Some of the vehicles will be trialed in London and Paris later this year, building on a similar experiment that was run by the two companies in 2018. The pair then hope to deploy the trucks across Europe and North America over the next four years. If everything goes well, UPS has the option to buy another 10,000 vehicles.

UPS will use Arrival’s electric trucks in the US and Europe

The future looks bright.

Delivery giant UPS has ordered 10,000 electric trucks from Arrival, a technology company based in the UK. Some of the vehicles will be trialed in London and Paris later this year, building on a similar experiment that was run by the two companies in 2018. The pair then hope to deploy the trucks across Europe and North America over the next four years. If everything goes well, UPS has the option to buy another 10,000 vehicles.

The future looks bright.
But how much fossil fuel will be burned to produce all that electricity?

Hope they are as tough as the trucks they now use.

Those drivers beat the piss out of them.

Good for them anyway. I have no problem with anyone driving an electric vehicle.
More gas for my V-8 Luxury SUV, boat and snowmobiles.

If it works more power to UPS but I have a feeling that it is a gimmick. We will still see double diesel tractor trailers on the interstate.

The future looks bright.

They may wish to pick the areas they use them. For instance, in Norway, not one single drop will be used on a daily basis. Norway doesn't use anything other than renewable resources for energy. Yes, some fossil fuels (bad name) will be used to make the parts but once they are made and assembled, the actual day to day making of electricity, heat, etc. is from Hydro, Wind and others. They will be the first country to completely get rid of the fossil fueled vehicles and that will happen by the year 2025. Then, we have areas like we have here which uses Hydroelectric Power for Electricity. And then the use of Natural Gas that pollutes less then Coal Fired Plants or Oil fired Plants. Then there is the Nuclear Powered Areas. Obviously some countries and areas won't have the benefits while others will reap huge benefits.

Like to see how they work out
Their old vans go hundreds of thousands of miles

If it works more power to UPS but I have a feeling that it is a gimmick. We will still see double diesel tractor trailers on the interstate.

Actually, the short Hauls will fall to the electric first like the UPS delivery Trucks but the long haul will be the next to fall. And with the long Haul, the Drivers will end up being replaced quickly only utilizing drivers at the various depots. The Double Trailers will disappear since it will cost much less to operate a single on electricity than a double on Diesel.

Like to see how they work out
Their old vans go hundreds of thousands of miles
I actually have no problem with trying alternative forms of power for transportation. Only make sense. Just don't mandate my toys and towing vehicle away.

Still waiting on the promised Mr. Fusion.
mr-fusion.jpg

The future looks bright.

Great. Maybe they can deliver my incandescent light bulbs faster.

Here is your package sir....can I plug my van into your garage so I can make it back to the distribution center?.....

The future looks bright.

They may wish to pick the areas they use them. For instance, in Norway, not one single drop will be used on a daily basis. Norway doesn't use anything other than renewable resources for energy. Yes, some fossil fuels (bad name) will be used to make the parts but once they are made and assembled, the actual day to day making of electricity, heat, etc. is from Hydro, Wind and others. They will be the first country to completely get rid of the fossil fueled vehicles and that will happen by the year 2025. Then, we have areas like we have here which uses Hydroelectric Power for Electricity. And then the use of Natural Gas that pollutes less then Coal Fired Plants or Oil fired Plants. Then there is the Nuclear Powered Areas. Obviously some countries and areas won't have the benefits while others will reap huge benefits.
Hey Daryl, What are they going to do with their F-16s, F-35s, Leopard Tanks and those M113 a1-A3s. Their navy isn't too eco friendly either. ..........:)

The future looks bright.

We'll see. The whole point, is to see how well it works.

I'm always amused by the marketing speak..... "UPS has the option to buy another 10,000 vehicles" Well duh... they had that option to being with. They have the option to buy 100,000 vehicles, or zero vehicles.

Would they really have said "You can only buy 10K of these, and no more ever again!"? Really? This is why I can never be in marketing. They lie and fabricate so much crap.

Anyway.... The truck looks nice. But you never know with looks. I could not find any specs on it. They said he had 50% of the operational costs, but that doesn't mean much if it's a million dollars per unit.

Remember, this isn't the first time UPS tried this.... whatever happen to their electric trucks from 2018?
UPS Places Order for 950 Workhorse Electric Delivery Trucks

Shipping giant UPS said it will buy 950 electric delivery trucks from Workhorse Group in what looks to be a key order for the electric vehicle startup.​

What happened to those? Why didn't they keep buying those Trucks?

The future looks bright.

Hey Daryl, What are they going to do with their F-16s, F-35s, Leopard Tanks and those M113 a1-A3s. Their navy isn't too eco friendly either. ..........:)

Park them in your driveway and syphon all the gas out of your gas guzzler to feed them.

The future looks bright.

I'm always amused by the marketing speak..... "UPS has the option to buy another 10,000 vehicles" Well duh... they had that option to being with. They have the option to buy 100,000 vehicles, or zero vehicles.

Would they really have said "You can only buy 10K of these, and no more ever again!"? Really? This is why I can never be in marketing. They lie and fabricate so much crap.

Anyway.... The truck looks nice. But you never know with looks. I could not find any specs on it. They said he had 50% of the operational costs, but that doesn't mean much if it's a million dollars per unit.

Remember, this isn't the first time UPS tried this.... whatever happen to their electric trucks from 2018?

Shipping giant UPS said it will buy 950 electric delivery trucks from Workhorse Group in what looks to be a key order for the electric vehicle startup.​

It takes time to put in the infrastructure. For instance, in the last year, it's now capable of driving an electric car from Salt Lake City to Denver almost non stop since they finished the charging stations along the Interstate. So you can only make 300 miles per charge and have to spend your lunch getting enough charge to make it to the evening where you will spend the night. You'll go from Salt Lake City to Green River to spend the night. The next morning you have another 300 full miles on the charge. So you stop in Glenwood Springs, Co. for lunch, top off and have lunch. You then head off to Denver. You end up making about 1 extra fueling stop as compared to a small efficient gas SUV. Those two one hour fuel top offs enables you to make the over 700 mile trip. But first, the fueling stations needed to be there. And as more people utilize electric cars, the more need for the fueling stations.

The future looks bright.

It takes time to put in the infrastructure. For instance, in the last year, it's now capable of driving an electric car from Salt Lake City to Denver almost non stop since they finished the charging stations along the Interstate. So you can only make 300 miles per charge and have to spend your lunch getting enough charge to make it to the evening where you will spend the night. You'll go from Salt Lake City to Green River to spend the night. The next morning you have another 300 full miles on the charge. So you stop in Glenwood Springs, Co. for lunch, top off and have lunch. You then head off to Denver. You end up making about 1 extra fueling stop as compared to a small efficient gas SUV. Those two one hour fuel top offs enables you to make the over 700 mile trip. But first, the fueling stations needed to be there. And as more people utilize electric cars, the more need for the fueling stations.

Irrelevant. When I was a driver, I would routinely put nearly 800 miles on my car, in one single day.

Filling up the car more than twice a day for gas, was routine.

Now if you have an electric truck, and you can only drive so far, and then you are just..... S.O.L. for the day....

That's not how shipping works. You can't just contact your customers, and say "yeah, not enough charge in the truck to deliver to you. Maybe tomorrow". One of the things I delivered was actual body parts on dry ice. Freaky stuff. I can't call the hospital and tell them, yeah, that organ on ice... it's going to have to way, because it takes 8 hours to charge up my truck.

Not happening.

So it all depends on how UPS intends to use these Trucks I suppose.

Forum List

Back