US Govt burns down New Mexico

The combined blaze has so far torched over 312,320 acres(126,319 hectares) of mountain forests and valleys, an area approaching the size of greater London, and destroyed hundreds of homes. Forest Service says it started all of New Mexico's largest wildfire
IS there anything Govt is doing right at this time....
We've known since day one it was a prescribed burn that got out of hand. Why they chose to do it on a windy day is under investigation. They did have it 91% contained before it merged with the Calf Canyon fire and grew out of control.
Doing these prescribed burns are necessary but risky out here due to the possibility of strong, erratic winds popping up unexpectedly. We joke about 30 mph winds being a light breeze...... This one was a rare oops, pretty sure the NM government is gonna have to fork out large sums of money to those affected. Well I know where some of my tax money is going to go.........

I read where they blamed it on a bogus NWS forecast. Something to do about not predicting the high winds that got a prescribed burn out of control. That's the .gov for you.
Those winds can pop up with little to no warning, where I am in Albuquerque we'll get the canyon winds that can hit 60+ mph gusts and those north and south of me might only see half that. The mountains can make their own weather and often do.

I live in Arizona, we have fire season. I can't remember how many "prescribed burns" have gotten out of control. It is not uncommon, I will just say that.
Having been part of a Wildland fire crew when I was younger, I can tell you with all certainty, men don't put out wildfires. God puts out wildfires. If all goes well, men turn the fire from buildings, power lines, dams and the like. But men do not put wildfires out. With luck, we can sometimes contain them.

We've known since day one it was a prescribed burn that got out of hand. Why they chose to do it on a windy day is under investigation. They did have it 91% contained before it merged with the Calf Canyon fire and grew out of control.
Doing these prescribed burns are necessary but risky out here due to the possibility of strong, erratic winds popping up unexpectedly. We joke about 30 mph winds being a light breeze...... This one was a rare oops, pretty sure the NM government is gonna have to fork out large sums of money to those affected. Well I know where some of my tax money is going to go.........
They started em both..........some sort of burn pile they thought was out wasnt......

Forum List

Back