Using the clothesline in conjunction with your clothes dryer

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I posted about this before but I continue to do mix and match experiments with energy saving activities. Look at it however you want It saves money for one thing and if you're a climate warrior it satisfies that aspect too. The sun has been unusually bright and hot this year Make of that whatever you want to. When I do loads of towels and they end up on spin dry ready to go to the dryer I first move them to the clothesline. My clothesline is about 75 ft of span between two very strong pulleys about 25 ft high at the back of my house which is more than one story. It gets good sunlight in the morning and in the afternoon. A normal load of towels say 20 lb worth usually takes up to an hour to dry completely in an electric dryer.
I have found that hanging them out on the line brings them almost fully dry within 25 minutes in direct sunlight.

After that 5 to 10 minutes in the electric dryer finishes the job rather nicely. I try to do the same with anything that's a heavy fabric like blue jeans or sweaters and sweatshirts.

The sun is amazingly powerful for this particular application.I have also noticed a distinct fresh smell when I sun-dry the clothing... I'm thinking besides the fresh air the ultraviolet rays probably do a great job of disinfecting the cloth.

Jo

Some municipalities have outlawed the use of clothes lines.

---For years now, gated communities and condominiums have banned clotheslines, the point where 19 states have passed “right to dry” laws outlawing clothes bans.---

If the clothes line police are watching your back yard, you can still save money on your energy bill. Run the dryer for the minimum amount of time for each load. Then use a drying rack

---For years now, gated communities and condominiums have banned clotheslines, the point where 19 states have passed “right to dry” laws outlawing clothes bans.---

If the clothes line police are watching your back yard, you can still save money on your energy bill. Run the dryer for the minimum amount of time for each load. Then use a drying rack
Bingo!

I've become addicted to the fresh smell of a sun-dried garment. Can't seem to beat it.
So much so that I refuse to use any of the fabric sheets in the dryer anymore cuz I don't want to mask the fresh smell.

Somebody's always offended about something. I never knew that people objected to clotheslines.

I posted about this before but I continue to do mix and match experiments with energy saving activities. Look at it however you want It saves money for one thing and if you're a climate warrior it satisfies that aspect too. The sun has been unusually bright and hot this year Make of that whatever you want to. When I do loads of towels and they end up on spin dry ready to go to the dryer I first move them to the clothesline. My clothesline is about 75 ft of span between two very strong pulleys about 25 ft high at the back of my house which is more than one story. It gets good sunlight in the morning and in the afternoon. A normal load of towels say 20 lb worth usually takes up to an hour to dry completely in an electric dryer.
I have found that hanging them out on the line brings them almost fully dry within 25 minutes in direct sunlight.

After that 5 to 10 minutes in the electric dryer finishes the job rather nicely. I try to do the same with anything that's a heavy fabric like blue jeans or sweaters and sweatshirts.

The sun is amazingly powerful for this particular application.I have also noticed a distinct fresh smell when I sun-dry the clothing... I'm thinking besides the fresh air the ultraviolet rays probably do a great job of disinfecting the cloth.

Jo
Turn your clothes inside out to prevent fading from the sun....

Yeah I don't get it What would the problem be with that? Does it indicate low-class people or something?

Some snobs think that a clothes line indicates one who lives in poverty.

Me? I just think it's someone who is smart enough to save on their electric bill. Growing up, we always had a clothes line for use during the summer, and a lot of places I've lived as an adult had clothes lines as well. I personally like having my clothes dried by the sun, because they smell better.

And yeah, sunlight will kill all the nasty bacteria that somehow manage to live through the washing machine.

Some snobs think that a clothes line indicates one who lives in poverty.

Me? I just think it's someone who is smart enough to save on their electric bill. Growing up, we always had a clothes line for use during the summer, and a lot of places I've lived as an adult had clothes lines as well. I personally like having my clothes dried by the sun, because they smell better.

And yeah, sunlight will kill all the nasty bacteria that somehow manage to live through the washing machine.
I've noticed quite a drop in my electric bill since I've knocked the dryer usage back. Also I've become addicted to the smell and feel of sun-dried clothing if something there's something extremely clean about it.

Yeah I don't get it What would the problem be with that? Does it indicate low-class people or something?
---Clothesline ban Sparks Debate On Poverty, Appearance, Energy---

I've noticed quite a drop in my electric bill since I've knocked the dryer usage back. Also I've become addicted to the smell and feel of sun-dried clothing if something there's something extremely clean about it.

I had a room mate that I lived with for over 15 years, and she never had a dryer. If it was during the winter, we'd take the clothes to the laundromat for drying, but if the weather was over 60 deg. (which was a great deal of the year in Amarillo), we'd put the laundry on the line in the back yard.

I actually didn't mind doing the laundry during the warmer months. It was kinda nice and a zen sort of meditation for me to hang them up and take them down and fold them in the sun.

Omg What the hell has happened to our society where we actually have laws on the books called right to dry???

---Clothesline ban Sparks Debate On Poverty, Appearance, Energy---

Lol.... Well I can think of a few old pairs of underwear that aren't white anymore. Lol..
Other than that I can't imagine what would be offending people hanging on line.

If the area you live in tells you that you can't dry your laundry outside, just do what some homeowners have done and declare it a "solar powered clothes dryer". Chances are they will have to let you hang your laundry if you want.

Incidentally, most of the places that ban clotheslines are HOA's. And, if your state is a right to dry state or a state where solar power is encouraged, you can overturn your HOA's rules by citing state law.

Forum List

Back