Venison recipes

For the liver. Liver and onions obviously. Don't really need a recipe as it is simple. Fry them. But for the more adventurous:

Deer liver Pate:
Deer Liver Paté

kitchnpatevenison2.jpg

Omg I LOVE liver pate. I'm sure this is fabulous...we have a recipe for chicken liver pate...chicken livers and a lot of mushrooms and green onion cooked in wine, then puree that crap and put it in a mold and slap it on some baguette bread. Omg it's amazing.

Killer venison (or elk) stew...

Dredge cubed meat with flour, salt and pepper
Give a HARD sear in hot oil, all sides need to be brown. I use a chicken fryer or dutch oven...
Add salted water or chicken broth, I use a lot of liquid and then cover and cook it way down...cook at 325 for about 3 hours.
Last hour add cubed potatoes, baby carrots, onion wedges, maybe a bay leaf if you like. If you like cabbage, add it the last 45 min or so.

byw glad you are on high ground....those king waves have been bad
Yeah I'm only .8 miles from the (alleged) tsunami safe spot...my house is actually located on the edge of what used to be dunes. It doesn't flood. Locals stay the hell away from the beaches this time of year...Thanksgiving, and Christmas both are really bad for tides and surf. Giant logs actually get tossed up onto the beach, and in fact into people's yards and stuff. Very, very, VERY dangerous.

Sea foam surrounds coastal homes in Yachats

I would think that foam had a high salt content. How do people get anything to grow?

byw glad you are on high ground....those king waves have been bad
Yeah I'm only .8 miles from the (alleged) tsunami safe spot...my house is actually located on the edge of what used to be dunes. It doesn't flood. Locals stay the hell away from the beaches this time of year...Thanksgiving, and Christmas both are really bad for tides and surf. Giant logs actually get tossed up onto the beach, and in fact into people's yards and stuff. Very, very, VERY dangerous.

Sea foam surrounds coastal homes in Yachats

I would think that foam had a high salt content. How do people get anything to grow?

Nothing grows that close to the beach, lol. The ground is pure sand and the wind is wicked.

The foam is dead phytoplankton. It's gross...but you'll see transplants riding their bicycles through it and playing in it. It smells nasty lol. It blows away. It isn't super common but they get it every now and then.

But just a few miles back from the water...you CAN grow stuff, if you can clear a spot and get the sun.

Give a HARD sear in hot oil, all sides need to be brown. I use a chicken fryer or dutch oven...
Add salted water or chicken broth, I use a lot of liquid and then cover and cook it way down...cook at 325 for about 3 hours.
Last hour add cubed potatoes, baby carrots, onion wedges, maybe a bay leaf if you like. If you like cabbage, add it the last 45 min or so.
For my stew/soup I cut the meat into big pieces and cook with whatever vegetables are handy and some chicken broth. Water chestnuts, potatoes and barley are essential though. Put it all in a big pot and set on lowest stove heat for about 18- 24 hours. Have to be sure to add broth or water as the night wears on. By the time it's done the meat practically melts in your mouth.

Place I used to go for Christmas dinners still offers venison on the limited menu.

No, they don't garnish it with a maraschino cherry. Damn.

But quit I going because they insisted on serving it with brussels sprouts dressed up to look little ornaments. Oh yeah, and little whole boiled beets.

Now moose does quality as venison and just beats the hell outta caribou/reindeer but I'm not sure whether musk-ox qualifies. Fella I knew once ordered musk-ox and waited months to be served 'cause they didn't want to kill a 1,400 pounder (the only one they had) for just a single serving.

For my stew/soup I cut the meat into big pieces and cook with whatever vegetables are handy and some chicken broth. Water chestnuts, potatoes and barley are essential though. Put it all in a big pot and set on lowest stove heat for about 18- 24 hours. Have to be sure to add broth or water as the night wears on. By the time it's done the meat practically melts in your mouth.
I don't like to put the veggies in until later. For one thing, I don't like the flavor that stewed carrots gives to meat. I also don't like it when potatoes are cooked all day...but my mom used to make it that way and I've eaten a LOT of it lol. We always had a pot of stew or chili or posole on the stove.

Man, this sucks. I haven't even shot my rifle in 4 years.
I don't hunt myself. I tax hunters that want to use my land (most just want the trophy) and then only every other year or so. My family is a bunch of veterinarians so sport hunting has never really been popular.

Place I used to go for Christmas dinners still offers venison on the limited menu.

No, they don't garnish it with a maraschino cherry. Damn.

But quit I going because they insisted on serving it with brussels sprouts dressed up to look little ornaments. Oh yeah, and little whole boiled beets.

Now moose does quality as venison and just beats the hell outta caribou/reindeer but I'm not sure whether musk-ox qualifies. Fella I knew once ordered musk-ox and waited months to be served 'cause they didn't want to kill a 1,400 pounder (the only one they had) for just a single serving.
So it's the presentation you don't like? That sounds really tasty to me.

They still offer it and if you'd like I can pm you the contact information - the stuff that goes on at the place in addition to the meal (they do it now as lunches) is delightful. But the brussel sprouts give you gas that can't be trusted and beet stains are a bear to get out of tighty-whities.

Hang on....they just updated the menu online and the venison dish has been cleaned up:

Starter choices
Homemade soup of the day with fresh crusty bread

A pressed terrine of local ham hock, chicken & leeks served with our
own apple chutney and granary toast

Natural cured somked haddock shcake, rocket poached hens e and
a wholegrain mustard sauce

A salad of goat’s cheese, mulled wine pears, lentils, and toasted hazelnuts
Mains Choices
Traditional roast turkey served with roast gravy, pigs in blankets, sage, onion,
and apricot stung, roast potatoes, and cranberry sauce.

Slow braised Fountains Abbey estate venison casserole, served with herb and cranberry
dumplings

Herb crusted organic salmon llet with crushed chive new potatoes,
and dill and lemon hollandaise

Christmas vegetables* and chestnut wellington, with sage and cranberry jus
Desserts Choices
Our homemade Christmas pudding and brandy sauce

Steamed date and banana sponge, butterscotch sauce, and vanilla ice-cream

Baked Baileys custard and chocolate shortbread

Milk chocolate terrine, stewed blackberries, and pear sorbet​

Two Courses £17.95
Three Courses £19.95
Each served withTea

* Careful - I think them damned brussel sprouts and beet balls are hidden in there.​

Last edited:

They still offer it and if you'd like I can pm you the contact information - the stuff that goes on at the place in addition to the meal (they do it now as lunches) is delightful. But the brussel sprouts give you gas that can't be trusted and beet stains are a bear to get out of tighty-whities.

Hang on....they just updated the menu online and the venison dish has been cleaned up:

Starter choices
Homemade soup of the day with fresh crusty bread

A pressed terrine of local ham hock, chicken & leeks served with our
own apple chutney and granary toast

Natural cured somked haddock shcake, rocket poached hens e and
a wholegrain mustard sauce

A salad of goat’s cheese, mulled wine pears, lentils, and toasted hazelnuts
Mains Choices
Traditional roast turkey served with roast gravy, pigs in blankets, sage, onion,
and apricot stung, roast potatoes, and cranberry sauce.

Slow braised Fountains Abbey estate venison casserole, served with herb and cranberry
dumplings

Herb crusted organic salmon llet with crushed chive new potatoes,
and dill and lemon hollandaise

Christmas vegetables* and chestnut wellington, with sage and cranberry jus
Desserts Choices
Our homemade Christmas pudding and brandy sauce

Steamed date and banana sponge, butterscotch sauce, and vanilla ice-cream

Baked Baileys custard and chocolate shortbread

Milk chocolate terrine, stewed blackberries, and pear sorbet​

Two Courses £17.95
Three Courses £19.95
Each served withTea

* Careful - I think them damned brussel sprouts and beet balls are hidden in there.​
I love sprouts and beets so I think it would be really good. Unfortunately, Massachusetts (going off your info) is a bit far to drive for dinner. I will drive from Bloomington to Cincinnati for dinner at the Iron Horse but probably not New England. Unless I am visiting my aunt in NYC and we head up to Martha's Vineyard I doubt I can make it that far. What's the name? Just in case.

I love sprouts and beets so I think it would be really good. Unfortunately, Massachusetts (going off your info) is a bit far too drive for dinner. I will drive from Bloomington to Cincinnati for dinner at the Iron Horse but probably not the East Coast. Unless I am visiting my aunt in NYC and we head up to Martha's Vineyard I doubt I can make it that far. What's the name? Just in case.

It's called "Fountains Abbey".

But though I came into this whilst on The Vineyard (Edgartown), Fountains is a further seaward:

Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden

It's one of my most favourite places anywhere - I try to get there twice a year. It's a long flight- I use Icelandair mostly - they offer very reasonable fares from many American cities going into Manchester then train over to Harrogate/ bus every 20-minutes to Ripon which is near Fountains. Even walking distance on a Christmastide Pilgrimage organized procession. Exquisite at Christmas but beautiful any time of year. I strongly recommend it as a first destination for one who wants to start serious traveling.

i have a tenderloin....i hate to chop that into stew....i am thinking of wrapping it in bacon ......you can wrap an old shoe in bacon and it will be fine

Chicken fried backstrap with cream gravy and biscuits.
Make sausage,jerky or chile meat out of the rest of it.

Now if you can get your hands on one of these you steak out the whole deer.....doe or buck,although the doe is going to be a little better.

upload_2015-12-16_17-27-2.png

Forum List

Back