Venison recipes

i have a tenderloin....i hate to chop that into stew....i am thinking of wrapping it in bacon ......you can wrap an old shoe in bacon and it will be fine
Yeah don't cut it up for stew. Do you have a beef tenderloin..or venison backstrap?
5 Common Mistakes to Avoid When Making Beef Tenderloin — Tips from The Kitchn

I love sirloin, medium rare...but I have taken to getting a family pack, then stacking the steaks on each other in a baking dish and just cooking them as a roast, maybe add some cream of mush. or onion soup mix....then cooking it like a roast, for 3-3.5 hours.

Venison Medallions with Whiskey, Mushroom & Horseradish Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Venison tenderloin
  • Kosher/sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbs. butter
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup button mushrooms, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup of whiskey
  • 1/2 cup of beef broth
  • dash of salt
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of sour cream, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. of prepared horseradish, or to taste
  • 1 tbs. of chives, chopped
  • Milk, a few tablespoons
Directions:
  • Season the venison with salt and pepper
  • Chop one cup of mushrooms and 1/2 cup onion
  • Saute onions in pan with two tablespoons butter
  • Add mushrooms; cook for another five minutes
  • Turn burner off and pour 1/2 cup of whiskey into pan. Cook until alcohol evaporates– about a minute
  • Pour in 1/2 cup of beef broth and reduce by half
  • Reduce heat to low and whisk 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1 teaspoon of horseradish–or to taste
  • Whisk in the milk and chopped chives; salt and pepper to taste
  • Grill venison until medium rare
  • Serve marinade over venison medallions
VenisonTenderloin_MushroomCreamSauce-1024x682.jpg

Check out the 6 Best Venison Tenderloin Recipes - Wide Open Spaces

ahhh okay....i just know when i have venison sausage you cant make gravy......no pan grease

You always mix in a little pork when making deer sausage.
My favorite is the summer sausage though.
We have always soaked ours in milk overnight too. I'm sure everyone does it. Noticed it hasn't been mention yet.

Venison in general that is.

Venison Medallions with Whiskey, Mushroom & Horseradish Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Venison tenderloin
  • Kosher/sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbs. butter
  • 1/2 cup onion, diced
  • 1 cup button mushrooms, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup of whiskey
  • 1/2 cup of beef broth
  • dash of salt
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of sour cream, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. of prepared horseradish, or to taste
  • 1 tbs. of chives, chopped
  • Milk, a few tablespoons
Directions:
  • Season the venison with salt and pepper
  • Chop one cup of mushrooms and 1/2 cup onion
  • Saute onions in pan with two tablespoons butter
  • Add mushrooms; cook for another five minutes
  • Turn burner off and pour 1/2 cup of whiskey into pan. Cook until alcohol evaporates– about a minute
  • Pour in 1/2 cup of beef broth and reduce by half
  • Reduce heat to low and whisk 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1 teaspoon of horseradish–or to taste
  • Whisk in the milk and chopped chives; salt and pepper to taste
  • Grill venison until medium rare
  • Serve marinade over venison medallions
VenisonTenderloin_MushroomCreamSauce-1024x682.jpg

That one sounds pretty tasty.

Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Venison Tenderloin
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb venison tenderloin
  • 3/4 lb bacon
  • 1 cup sweet white wine
  • Meat seasoning blend of your choice (garlic, paprika, onion powder, cumin, thyme, salt, pepper is our go-to)
  • Cherry wood for smoking on grill
Directions:
Marinate the venison in a cup of white wine. Season with your favorite herbs and spices. Wrap the venison in bacon strips and use toothpicks to keep the strips in place. Grill venison tenderloin until medium-rare, a minute on each side. Close grill and cook for additional 30-45 minutes over indirect heat. Internal temperature should read 145-160 F.
Serve; enjoy.

VenisonTenderloin_GrilledBacon.jpeg

ahhh okay....i just know when i have venison sausage you cant make gravy......no pan grease

We have always soaked ours in milk overnight too. I'm sure everyone does it. Noticed it hasn't been mention yet.

You dont need to on the backstrap,but if you use any of the rest for steak it does help with the gamey taste.
With the easy pickins on Axis deer here in Texas I dont hunt the white tails very often anymore.

Okay, this I find interesting! My cousin soaks his in water. Does it make a difference in the flavor? Sometimes the meat is a bit gamy for me. Does it help with the gamy flavor more than water?

Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Venison Tenderloin
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb venison tenderloin
  • 3/4 lb bacon
  • 1 cup sweet white wine
  • Meat seasoning blend of your choice (garlic, paprika, onion powder, cumin, thyme, salt, pepper is our go-to)
  • Cherry wood for smoking on grill
Directions:
Marinate the venison in a cup of white wine. Season with your favorite herbs and spices. Wrap the venison in bacon strips and use toothpicks to keep the strips in place. Grill venison tenderloin until medium-rare, a minute on each side. Close grill and cook for additional 30-45 minutes over indirect heat. Internal temperature should read 145-160 F.
Serve; enjoy.

VenisonTenderloin_GrilledBacon.jpeg

God, that looks awesome.

Okay, this I find interesting! My cousin soaks his in water. Does it make a difference in the flavor? Sometimes the meat is a bit gamy for me. Does it help with the gamy flavor more than water?
Yes. It makes a big difference in the flavor. That is how you rid the meat of it's gamy taste. That taste is what most people don't like when it comes to venison. Everyone I know uses milk. I would think milk would be better than water but water is fine too. You could soak it in Italian dressing if you like. Pretty much anything really.

Yes. It makes a big difference in the flavor. That is how you rid the meat of it's gamy taste. That taste is what most people don't like when it comes to venison. Everyone I know uses milk. I would think milk would be better than water but water is fine too. You could soak it in Italian dressing if you like. Pretty much anything really.

Butter milk is another good option.

Cool. Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try that instead of using water.

Forum List

Back